Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An observation, not an opinion on the SUX 710:

Fellow I knew when the 710 was first introduced had an opportunity to hunt private land up in the Carolinas and asked what I thought about the package. No opinion sez me.

He had a wife that was adamantly opposed to firearms in the house and was generally puzzywhipped as they get. So he snuck off and bought one in .30-06, got some ammo and asked me to help him sight it at the range.

Bolt movement was very stiff, little bit of grease in the plastic raceways fixed that. He loaded up, benched the gun and proceeded to shoot a series of three shot groups averaging about 1.5" @ 100 yards.

So he takes off for the Carolinas, whacks three deers and comes home. I asked if he wanted anymore help with the gun and he declined, telling me he'd left the gun at the camp where he hunted.

Last I saw him he'd made the trip 5 times and had filled the larder each time. The gun served his purposes and cost him around $270.00 as I recall. Due to cost he was not concerned too much about theft, but was of the opinion the gun was a perfect tool for what he was doing with it.

Well, there ya go. I'd ship the broken one back to Remington for repairs and sell it. Someone might want to hunt the Carolinas....

My opinion on them? I only touched it once to grease the bolt/receiver raceways. Didn't catch the gay so far as I can tell, but it might have been a near thing. I'd rather have a sister working a whoorehouse than a brother hunting with a 710.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, kinda like working with a nice set of Snap-On tools vs a set of Harbor Freight Chinese tools. The satisfaction of doing the job just ain't the same and some times your knuckles aren't either..

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
called remington today to check on parts. they wouldn't just sell me parts. they want the whole gun sent back to be fixed. lady offered to send me a pre-paid shipping label so all i'd have to pay for is parts and labor. i don't see how it could cost much but we'll see. they said they would call me with a repair quote before fixing it. don't guess i could ask for much more for a gun with a 2 year warranty. it was made 2005. to me its a pos,but i have the scope and all the ammo so i guess i'll spend a few bucks on a turd to make a buck.

oh,a friend of mine has killed 15-20 deer with one in 270,he doesn't really like it but it was a christmas present so he keeps dragin it to the woods.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not sure I would pay good money to get that junker fixed. Maybe use it for a pry bar?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well remington got my rifle .they want 179.00 to fix this piece of junk. thats all the gun is worth. i was told they would cover shipping both ways even i didn't want it repaired .they want to charge me 42.50 even if i don't have it fixed.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This is the age we live in. Back in the day we would bring our firearms to Winchester, Marlin, Mossberg ( I live in Connecticut) and wait in the lobby. Most repairs were free, even on long out if production models (Super-X Winch). Those days are gone. I could not drop off a handgun to Colt for repair, had to ship it. In the end, some guns just aren't worth repairing, it makes you wonder if the entry level models don't hold up better, what is the chance of repeat buying? At least you got a good deal on the ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i gave remington a pretty hard time about the shipping charges and they just sent it back free. they didn't fix it ofcourse.

H
H
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
That's ugly.... What caused it to break?

Bad cheap remington steel. I saw a test when they fired rounds with a bullet stuck in the barrel. The only rifle that had a barrel exploation was remington 700. Tikka,Sako,Blaser, Mannlicher could handle the pressure.

This was post 2000 something. I have better confidence in older remington steel.

Last edited by Huskyswede; 06/25/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,148
Posts18,502,795
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.