Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
...I think.

If someone can present the counter argument I am open to learn something new every day of the year.

But I recently saw a video by AGI on the Remington 700. The instructor showed a sketch/diagram of the Remington chamber, or rather the Remington, "Safety" chamber. That little tit on the face of the bolt that inserts inside the chamber provides another tight clearance that a ruptured case and gas must get around to blow your eyeball out.

I only have owned remingtons, but I don't think the Savages have it. They might be more accurate all the time cuz of that floating head but I really truly think that the Remington is better, and I have never had a Remington that would not shoot after just a little minor tune up like bedding or trigger adjustment.

I just wish Savage would make an accutrigger aftermarket for the Remingtons

If anyone can explain this back to me better, I am all ears. I am not a gunsmith and don't play one on TV either. LOL

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had two factory cases and one handload split while firing this year, two in a Remington and one in a Savage. I did not know anything had happened until I extracted the case on the Remington. The Savage was a different story. I felt gas on my face and it blew the extractor almost out of the bolt.

I have my favorite.

TANSTAAFL
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have a friend that bought a box of factory 30.06 cartridges and it turns out they had 7mm bullets in em. They do make mistakes now and again.

Glad you were not hurt.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Having played with a few accutriggers, I have to say that an old style reworked Remington beats them easily. Maybe someone can make a Savage accutriggers into a really clean break, but, if so, I seriously doubt they can beat the triggers on my tang safety Ruger, my M70 Classic, or the reworked one I had on my 700 VSFS. As afar as i'm concerned, they all need to be reworked.
Savage makes a decent rifle. While they have a few less desirable characteristics, I can assure you Remingtons do as well. E

H
H
I think remington 700 action and bolt is one of the strongest and most safe out there! however, if something is stuck in the barrel the steel doesnt seems to hold up so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=e4AqMl1A4aQ&feature=endscreen

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Savage certainly makes the ugliest action

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I actually prefer the original savage trigger to the Remington or Accutrigger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You lost me with the Accutrigger comment. The Safety chamber thing is kinda funny too. Had a friend that had to put a bushing around his ejector.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As far as safety is concerned, with regards to a ctastrophic case failure or severe overload, I think the edge goes to Remington. The Savage is very safe and strong but I think the original 110 was better in this regard. The Remington 700 is exceptional. I once had a 700 come into the shop with the bolt handle broken off. Now, before all you anti-Remington guys start shouting (See. I told you so!", the handle broke off when the ownerwas beating on it with an axe handle in an effort to remove a stuck case. I had to remove the barrel to get the bolt out and the case out of the chamber. Turned out the case had stuck because his client, who was using the rifle, had fired a 308 Norma round through it. This worked out surprisingly well considering the rifle was barreled for the 7mm STW.
BTW, it was reported to me that the 180 grain Swift A-Frame bullet, now a 7mm, did a stellar job in dispatching a big black bear. Well that it did since a quick second shot was not an option!
The Savage action has some interesting design features; none of which are an improvement over any other designs. They are just different and interesting.
I have often said, the biggest flaw with the Savage is the necessity for the shooter to wear a bag over his head while shooting one so he won't be recognized. GD

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
GD

Amazing story!

Three rings of steel... I am a believer.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think they are both good rifles, though I feel that Remington's QC has slipped in recent years. Add the fact that Rem sold us out by accepting a bribe from the Governor of NY to stay in the state after the Governor clearly demonstrated his disdain for gun owners, That leaves me liking Savage all the more. Like the man once said, "My girlfriend may be ugly, but she's mine. Keep your f*%king hands off her". Having said that, I have repaired several savages which had the extractor forcibly removed by an over pressured reload (usually caused by failing to trim the length of the brass to spec). I've seen my share of Remington bolt handle failures, as well. Best advice is to watch your bolt face for signs of primer erosion and be careful how you reload. This pissing match will probably go on forever, but my money will go to the gun makers who support our Second Amendment and aren't afraid to demonstrate that to the hosebags in the halls of government when they infringe on the 2nd.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've owned enough Remingtons to know I prefer Savage rifles for what I do with them (shooting prairie dogs).
I won't piss on Remingtons, but as noted, their quality control has suffered a lot in the past few years. I refuse to own any newer Remingtons.
I'd frankly rather have a new 114 Savage than any new Remington rifle, too. I'd save the paper bags for those poor folks who buy a new Remington, they're gonna need it a lot more than the Savage buyer.
I just got back from eyeballing some new Remingtons, and I could barely recognize them by brand. Rough doesn't begin to describe them.
Your money, your choice, have at it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just as people prefer pre-64 Winchesters, most I know prefer older Remington rifles.

6 digit or A B C prefix, worlds better than any savage.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,155
Posts18,502,930
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.