Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Guys I have a chance at a Browning a-bolt 2 in 308
It has a 26 inch barrel. does that 26 inch length have any drawbacks?

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
hits every branch possible when you're walking, gets caught up and makes it more difficult to enter deer stands and shooting houses. depending on how ornery you are about that sort of thing. increases velocity and reduces muzzle blast. I can't stand 'em, but they sure are nice on range guns. in short: purely a matter of personal preference.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have carried 26 inch barreled rifles for years.. never experienced and problem.. On the plus side they steady down nicely and have increased vel. and as mentioned less muzzle blast.. I have several rifles with 28 inch barrels, and they are little problem hunting. BUT I seldom sit in a shooting house or elevated deer stand.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
hits every branch possible when you're walking, gets caught up and makes it more difficult to enter deer stands and shooting houses. depending on how ornery you are about that sort of thing. increases velocity and reduces muzzle blast. I can't stand 'em, but they sure are nice on range guns. in short: purely a matter of personal preference.

You forgot: I was driving my pick-up on the ranch, and the damn barrel knocked my rear view mirror off the windshield; the 'yote got away.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just rebarreled a Mauser 98 from a rusted out bore .270 to a 27 inch '06 heavy bbl.

I don't anticipate any problem with it off the ATV or snow machine, or a short hike there-of across the tundra.. smile

I'll let you know once I have it bedded in...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I would like to see the gun makers offer a western version of their hunting rifles with 26" barrels on their 6mms and larger and 28" on the 300s. For western hunting it would be nice to not have to buy a gun and then spend even more money having it rebarreled. My closet is getting full of takeoffs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last three custom build 257WBY's had 27.5 inch barrels, my 340 Tyrannosaur and 7mm Mashburn Super carry 26ers and I would not have them any other way. Even my VERY serious, dig 'em out of the thornbush or Alders or whatever 416 Rigby has a 25 inch barrel, the shortest of any of my big game rifles in a very long time.

I have never felt cramped or hampered by a 25-28 inch tube and I have hunt long and hard in some awful places.

All that said, I do not know what you are going to GAIN with 26 inches in such a sedate boring cartridge. Probably zero as to velocity. Then there is the fact that the rifle is a A Bort... For those reasons I would not give that rifle a second look if it was FREE. Barrel length would not be my deciding factor. Horridly designed and built rifle plus the most boring, unexciting cartridge on the market today.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
Guys I have a chance at a Browning a-bolt 2 in 308
It has a 26 inch barrel. does that 26 inch length have any drawbacks?

Not if you lop it off to suit your needs wink

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I still haven't gotten used to my 26" 7mm rem mag. Seems every time I take it out, I'm smacking it on something. IE: door jam, cupboard, powerline......and that's just when I'm taking it out to the garage blush...Oh, and I forgot to mention that it is too long to fit in my soft cases, so the butt end hangs out grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've always found it interesting that a 26" barrel on a shotgun is considered short and is handy in woodsy conditions by some but a rifle with the same length barrel is not.....

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by mmgravy
I've always found it interesting that a 26" barrel on a shotgun is considered short and is handy in woodsy conditions by some but a rifle with the same length barrel is not.....

I dunno, turkey shotguns usually have a 21-24" barrel ... some even shorter.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

For me usually its more about balance than length. But there are times when shorter is a little better, like in a box blind. If balance is good the advanatges of a barrel longer than 22" or so is pretty small, with reticles or knobs 30-100 fps has no real effect in the field.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
my experience with longer barrels has been in examining english built rifles. they are, without a doubt, the finest handling guns i've ever shouldered. recently, i held a cogswell and harrison 375 in my local cabelas and it balanced so perfectly one would hardly believe it had a 26" barrel. i left saying to myself i'd hunt with that as a general purpose rifle anytime.

to my mind, those are the gun mechanics who learned the how's and why's of building rifles for sporting useage.

The way life should be.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My favorite rifle is a Sako 75 300 RUM with a 26 inch barrel. It weighs 9lbs 9ozs with optilocks and 4.5x14x40mm Leupold. I have killed stuff from literally feet to over 500 yards with it. I have killed several running animals with it from less than 20 yards to a antelope at 239 yards to whitetails does at 307 yards. I have packed it to 11,500 feet in Wyoming to box blinds here in Missouri. I never once noticed the weight or the 26 inch barrel. I always felt it was perfect for everything until I started reading the Internet...grin.

My father was hunting a open hillside one morning and decided to take it. He said it was the most awkward rifle he had ever hunted with. He said he was so slow getting the rifle up and going that he could never kill anything with it. Of course Dad is several inches shorter than me and older. Surely that has nothing to do with it?...

Dink

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Can't see needing or wanting anything over 25-26". I can't think of a hunting rifle I'd ever want over 24".

I've heard of many reasons to rebarrel but to rebarrel to a longer barrel is a new one.

Play toys sure but we are talking about hunting rifles here.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
mmgravy - you make an excellent point.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Grizz700
I would like to see the gun makers offer a western version of their hunting rifles with 26" barrels on their 6mms and larger and 28" on the 300s. For western hunting it would be nice to not have to buy a gun and then spend even more money having it rebarreled. My closet is getting full of takeoffs.

Got something you will sell for a LA Ru 77?

"Stub" shoots fine out to 400 yards (as long as I know the range- I need a better range-finder), but that 17 inch .30-06 bbl bothers me... It has a mis-shapen chamber, so I only use brass (factory loads) once. Inch and a quarter groups just ain't reasonable...but it's killed every danged thing I've pointed it at, out to 360 yards to date (known ranges- there have been some shoot and pray successful shots also, some clean misses, and an initial pecker shot)

If I swap the bbl out, I can reload for it... smile

I'm of German heritage.... what's your excuse?

Last edited by las; 06/27/13.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Owned one 26" barreled rifle, didn't like the balance.

I like 24", but prefer a standard 22" if doing a lot of timber type hunting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
it's all about balance, boys. like I said above, find and examine closely an English gun, even one just built for the trades and you'll see; it may not have the embellishments of a Royal grade but it'll have the same general build and handling characteristics. why you you all think they built them that way in the first place given Afrcia was often the end destination?

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So far I've yet to find a need for anything over 24".

The older I get the more I prefer lighter recoil and lighter/shorter barrels.

Even better is when I'm hunting with friends or family and they borrow my rifles for the hunt. They get to carry the rifles and when I want to take a shot I "borrow" one back. Doesn't get much lighter than that.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,791
Posts18,536,355
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.