Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have a Leupold VX 1 2X7 that has a stiff magnification adjustment ring. Is there a way that I can loosen it up, or does it need to go back to Leupold ?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think it's just the nature of the beast, which I find disappointing for Leupold. I have the same scope with the same problem. I sent mine back to Leupold and it was returned, supposedly repaired, and the power adjustment ring is still very stiff. If you send you scope back, be sure to let us know the results.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have often wondered if too tight rings might cause that. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As Labman stated I think it is just the nature of the beast as the couple I have are relatively stiff. It is a disappointment for Leupold as there has been endless griping over the internet and just gives the haters a target and it's not like they can't address it as the redfields dont seem to suffer from this. Mine all work just fine so it doesn't seem to be a real problem but sort of sullys a otherwise nice product. Heck I rarely change mine anyway.

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I don't think it's a result of tight rings. I have a couple V 3's and V 2's that don't have the issue,it might just be a problem with the lower end series. I guess I'll send it in for service, I'll post the results.

Last edited by bsteve; 06/28/13.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsteve
I have a Leupold VX 1 2X7 that has a stiff magnification adjustment ring. Is there a way that I can loosen it up, or does it need to go back to Leupold ?

Send it back to them, they'll take care of it. Same thing happened to me with a RF special 2-7X VX 1 compact.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Couple of years ago I had the same problem with a VX1 Shotgun/muzzle loader 1-4X20 scope. Sent it to Leupold and it was slightly better upon return but still fairly stiff.

A few months ago I bought the latest version of the same scope and it has been smoother and easier to turn the power ring on the new scope compared to the older model.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had a 2-7X33 that was pretty tight. It never bothered me and I just sent it in for a turret. Never mentioned the magnification ring but I can tell they did something about it because it moves freely now.

That being said, if the rear ring is right up against the mag ring, it will make it really tough to spin. I do think the compactness of the 2-7's cause a lot of folks to experience this.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The adjustment ring isn't touching the ring. I've had the scope for several years and this problem is new , it turned easily before. It's mounted on a 22 so recoil couldn't have caused it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my VX3 has the same problem

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsteve
The adjustment ring isn't touching the ring. I've had the scope for several years and this problem is new , it turned easily before. It's mounted on a 22 so recoil couldn't have caused it.

I've experienced the same situation as Travis on a 2-7x33 with the rear ring too close to the mag ring. It was not necessarily touching the ring but just pinching enough to cause some binding. Have you by chance tried to loosen the rear ring just to see if it loosens the mag ring rotation? Just an idea for some troubleshooting...

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
It's been mounted on the same rifle for several years. Used it in January and it was fine, just sat in the safe until yesterday.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought it was a design characteristic, every Leupold I have had has been noticeably too tight in the adjustment ring.

Is there anyone who has a Leupy that works smoothly?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is like wrestling with a shock absorber.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sounds like a bent tube.

Hang on tight !
B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I thought it was a design characteristic, every Leupold I have had has been noticeably too tight in the adjustment ring.

Is there anyone who has a Leupy that works smoothly?
Yes I have 2 VX III 2.5 X 8 and 2 VX II 1X4's that turn easily.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Both of my 2-7x33 scopes had tight adjustment rings when I bought them. I worked them back and forth several times, probably for 20 minutes and they really loosened up. I know you probably should not have to do this but it sure helped my scopes get smoother.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
my VX3 has the same problem

+ 1 It is not the rings because it is just as stiff out of the rings.

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ADNA
Both of my 2-7x33 scopes had tight adjustment rings when I bought them. I worked them back and forth several times, probably for 20 minutes and they really loosened up. I know you probably should not have to do this but it sure helped my scopes get smoother.
I'll give that a try, if it doesn't work it's shipping out tomorrow.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My father has sent his vari x-iii back three times for the same problem, each time it comes back fine and then starts to tighten up. In all fairness to Leupold he fell out of downed tree while hunting when the branch he was sitting on broke and he fell about 6 feet hitting the scope pretty hard. The scope has always held its zero.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (alanfranklin, 7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, anothergun, 19 invisible), 12,384 guests, and 1,620 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,998
Posts18,540,284
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.