Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kevin,

Yes, I am talking about either a custom 1911 or one of the 1911's that come from momma with a fully ramped barrel like my RIA does.

BTW, that RIA shot 16 rounds into 1 5/8 inch at 25 yards the other day. I am quite impressed with that pistol, expecially at its pricepoint.

GREAT to see you posting and opining here again, my friend!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIA? Do Tell us not in the 1911 know. Thanks.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chamber dimensions and headspace are the only factors in case support. Whether the barrel has a feed ramp or not doesn't matter.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Chamber dimensions and headspace are the only factors in case support. Whether the barrel has a feed ramp or not doesn't matter.
Well, most ramped barrels offer greater case support over a non-ramped barrel. This is because the chamber goes back a tad further. If you were to take the same reamer and cut a chamber the same depth, the ramped barrel would offer a touch more case support.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then I'm surprised Glock has such problems. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by JOG
Well, most ramped barrels offer greater case support over a non-ramped barrel. This is because the chamber goes back a tad further. If you were to take the same reamer and cut a chamber the same depth, the ramped barrel would offer a touch more case support.

I have non ramped barrels in my 1911's that support the case back to the web of the case. I agree with JOG they support the same unless someone did a poor job on the tapering the bottom of the barrel which happens

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Or one could go with the Witness 10mm which is a very good, often overlooked, completely underrated, high capacity 10mm pistol with a single action carry option. They even make a �hunter� model with longer barrel and single action.

Clarkm has measured case support about a dozen times on this board. And I think Clarkm has pretty much done the heavy-lifting on what brass will handle if supported properly.

Anyways, the witness is one of the few ramped barrel designs available (I think Wilson is the other) to the average Joe, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone post some case support measurements. The Witness certainly is at a good price point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
RIA? Do Tell us not in the 1911 know. Thanks.

I posted some photos of the test target I shot with my new Rock Island Armory Tactical 10 1911 pistol a couple of weeks ago. Not only did it shoot 16 rounds into 1 5/8 inch, but 12 of the 16 were inside of one inch. The four that were outside of the 1 inch group could easily have been operator error as my eyes are not what they used to be.

On top of that, my Tactical 10 has a fully ramped barrel and supports the case exceptionally well. I have fired a good number of my rather hot 10mm handloads pushing 180gr Gold dots at 1375 and as a torture test I fired some handloaded 10mm ammo I bought at a gun show (learned my lesson, NO MORE gun show handloads!) that blew out their web areas in my Colt Delta Elite and destroyed a set of Rosewood grips. The RIA ate 'em up and spit 'em out without a hitch.

It really bummed me out to have to sell my much customized and upgraded Delta Elite to pay bills, but this RIA that I bought as a replacement with only 1/3 of the money I got for the DE has eased my pain and grieving considerably. It is a quite fine daily carry and all around pistol, IMO and IME so far.

Last edited by safariman; 06/27/13.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by JOG

I have non ramped barrels in my 1911's that support the case back to the web of the case. I agree with JOG they support the same unless someone did a poor job on the tapering the bottom of the barrel which happens

The deciding factor is the angle at which the ramp is cut. Ramped 1911 barrels have a steeper angle on the ramp than a Glock, so they intrude less into the chamber area.

So when you really get down to it, it is the angle of the ramp, and how far it intrudes into the chamber. Vary that angle on identical chambers and you have varying degrees of case head support.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Then I'm surprised Glock has such problems. wink
They have a sharper angle of feed ramp that intrudes deeper into the chamber.

Last edited by KevinGibson; 06/27/13.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Here is proof that the ramped and the un-ramped barrels have the same amount of case support

Originally Posted by gunchamp
Here is hot loaded 10mm with the lonewolf barrels. They don't support any better than the factory glock barrels. I have yet to see a barrel that fully supports the case in a glock. Some are better than others but none are full. I promise youif you were to reload this brass again, you would be a kaboom just waiting to happen. I love glocks, own a couple but I know the limits of em.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Texas99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Double Tap sent me a box of their ammo loaded with 200gr Nosler JHP that are labeled to produce 1250fps, and a box of 200gr Hard-cast lead marked 1300fps. I will be test-firing some of these soon, using the 6" Glock barrel. McNett says he has no problems with Lone Wolf barrels, Sundles from Buffalo Bore, recommends staying with Glock barrels in Glocks. Both tell me their ammo should shoot in my pistol with no problems. We'll see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here is proof that the ramped and the un-ramped barrels have the same amount of case support

Originally Posted by gunchamp
Here is hot loaded 10mm with the lonewolf barrels. They don't support any better than the factory glock barrels. I have yet to see a barrel that fully supports the case in a glock. Some are better than others but none are full. I promise youif you were to reload this brass again, you would be a kaboom just waiting to happen. I love glocks, own a couple but I know the limits of em.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's proof of one makers barre in one model of gun. I was making generalizations, but they were pointed primarily at the 1911, not the Glock.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KevinGibson; 06/27/13.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Again the execution of the work is more important than whether or not the barrel is ramped or not. I don't have, need nor want a ramped barrel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Again the execution of the work is more important than whether or not the barrel is ramped or not. I don't have, need nor want a ramped barrel

I wasn�t disputing that. I was disputing that it was a matter of chamber dimensions and headspace. It�s a matter of the design of the feed ramp, and how much it intrudes into the chamber area.

T
Texas99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I think it would be great if we could get some manufacturers of 10mm pistols/ammo in on this discussion. These problems don't see to come up with .45ACP or other lower pressure loads. The 10mm seems to be a great loading, but some aspects might need to be addressed?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really the only thing that needs to be addressed is the desire of some folks to make it a .41 magnum. BTDT myself, but I've learned better. If you stick with SAAMI factory loads and reputable hand loads you can exceed the .357 magnum by a significant margin and ramped/unramped or supported/unsupported won't matter a bit.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Texas99
I think it would be great if we could get some manufacturers of 10mm pistols/ammo in on this discussion. These problems don't see to come up with .45ACP or other lower pressure loads. The 10mm seems to be a great loading, but some aspects might need to be addressed?

The 10mm was never intended to be fired out of a 1911. In the original loadings, the cartridge was just too hot for the design. Not only is the lack of case support on the 1911 an issue for the high pressure loads, but the platform itself is inadequate for the full power cartridge. Frames and slides will crack if one shoots a lot of full power loads out of a 10mm 1911. Fortunately, few can afford to put thousands upon thousands of rounds of full power 10mm through their pistols. And for those who can afford such adventures, they can afford to replace the guns they were out from time to time.

The original Colt�s design for the 10mm 1911 was what eventually became the Peter�s Stahl conversion after it was rejected by Colt�s. The Peter�s Stahl conversion added a very heavy, very beefed up slide to soak up the recoil, and a ramped barrel with much improved case head support. Colt�s didn�t like it because it didn�t look like a 1911, so they took the easy way out and just went with a dual spring system on an otherwise rather standard 1911. While this worked, the safety margins were greatly reduced, and the pistols couldn�t take a lifetime of full power loads. However, the 10mm Delta Elite did make for a lighter weight, much more convenient package than the other 10mm�s that were out there. So convenience and expedience won out, and the 10mm�s we see today are the same compromise, but with the added advantage that most 10mm ammo is reduced in power from the original Norma loads of the 1980�s. So the whole thing ends up working out rather well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kevin,

Well stated as is so often the case. I really liked my DE and like my RIA 1911 in 10mm also very well, but I am under no delusion that it or the DE if I had kept it would have stood up to several thousands of full power rounds fired. I am like the more typical buyer/owner you mention who just does not have the resources to fire enough 10mm ammo to break my gun anytime soon. As well, the bulk 10mm practice ammo that I buy and reload acts more like plus P 40 Short and Weak ammo. The gun should last a good long time with 180''s at about 1150fps for its regular diet, and that ain't a load to sneeze at, anyways.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought a Glock 20 Gen 4 SF, Looked hard and could find no ammo here in AK. Found 1 box of Buffalo Bore 230 Gr cast in Seward AK, had to reload some 180 gr HP. Like the Glock its my first after many 1911 style 45,s.
Was able to buy 4 boxes of 10 MM 180 gr Rem MC FP in Oregon brought them home on the plane. Reasonably accurate and functions fine.

Shot 5 rounds of the expensive BB 230 gr. after cleaning barrel, with a 22# spring. Function was great and hit a rock at 50 yards. No case smile marks, but will not reload those cases.

From what I read the BB cast ammo was tested in a stock Glock barrel, and they recommended the 22# spring and steel guide rod and removing any lead before shooting jacketed bullets.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 79 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,993
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.