Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just saw on the news that an entire hot-shot team was killed today figthing this fire. The attached article doesn't mention it but I guess the latest is that more than 200 homes burned. I didn't think there were that many home in Yarnell!

Really sad. Probably going to be the most tragic wildlands fire in the history of the country in terms of lives lost.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=9157763

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting... prayers go out for both the deceased and the families of them...

tragic loss for sure...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's terrible news. Prayers sent from here, for all affected by the tragedy.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tragedy...

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Terrible. I remember reading about the Storm King fire mentioned in the last paragraph of the article. Think I saw a movie or TV show about that one too. Prayers for the families.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've many years of wild land under my belt and Storm King was one of them. Have had to deploy the emergency shelter and luckily it worked for us albeit feeling like jiffy pop while waiting it out.

My heart hurts for those firefighter and their loved ones. True heroes doing a horribly tough job who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
prayers sent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That really hits close to home!

We lived in Prescott, just a few miles up 89 from Yarnell, for twelve years. We raised our son, Ben ("Skalkaho" here), there from when he was six until he went off to NAU. Now he's an EMT in the Flagstaff fire department and is often out on Arizona forest fires.

And I wonder whether the Art Morrison mentioned in that article is the Art Morrison whom I knew when we lived there.

If flickering memory isn't bugging me, this is the third time when Forest Service fire-fighters have been killed on the job � the Mann Gulch fire in Montana in the late '40s or early '50s, a fire in Colorado in the '90s (Storm King?), and now this one � which is the worst such loss of life, number-wise, I think.

IIRC, the Mann Gulch fire led to the development of those shelters (aluminized Mylar, I think). One of my professors at MSU lost his son there. That fire also inspired an early Richard Widmark, Richard Boone movie (Red Skies of Montana), filmed at the old remount depot west of Missoula and the Hamilton airport.

These memories of old times aren't coming back with any sort or smidgen of pleasure.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I borrowed this picture from another site, I'll leave it up for a time.

The pain of the families and friends of 19 men, unfathomable.

May all find peace...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did some checking �

Mann Gulch � 1949 � 13 smoke-jumpers
Storm King � 1994 � 14 BLM smoke-chasers

Now this one! 19 hot-shots!

I'm reminded of the heart-felt ejaculation from the reporter who was watching the Hindenburg burn in 1937 � "Oh, the humanity!"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
That really hits close to home!

We lived in Prescott, just a few miles up 89 from Yarnell, for twelve years. We raised our son, Ben ("Skalkaho" here), there from when he was six until he went off to NAU. Now he's an EMT in the Flagstaff fire department and is often out on Arizona forest fires.

And I wonder whether the Art Morrison mentioned in that article is the Art Morrison whom I knew when we lived there.

If flickering memory isn't bugging me, this is the third time when Forest Service fire-fighters have been killed on the job � the Mann Gulch fire in Montana in the late '40s or early '50s, a fire in Colorado in the '90s (Storm King?), and now this one � which is the worst such loss of life, number-wise, I think.

IIRC, the Mann Gulch fire led to the development of those shelters (aluminized Mylar, I think). One of my professors at MSU lost his son there. That fire also inspired an early Richard Widmark, Richard Boone movie (Red Skies of Montana), filmed at the old remount depot west of Missoula and the Hamilton airport.

These memories of old times aren't coming back with any sort or smidgen of pleasure.

I don't know if it is the art morrison you are thinking of, who i knew too, but eventually i will know.
There are quite a few homes these days around the yarnell/peoples valley area by the way. That is real thick mesquite stuff in there. I patroled/hunted etc in there most of my life.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty rough. I knew a smoke jumper that was killed in the Storm King fire. If it's like it used to be some of the hotshot crews are college kids on summer break, but I guess this was a local fire department crew.

From what I read they found them dug in and in their emergency shelter which is like a space blanket.

Last edited by NathanL; 07/01/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NathanL
Pretty rough. I knew a smoke jumper that was killed in the Storm King fire. If it's like it used to be some of the hotshot crews are college kids on summer break, but I guess this was a local fire department crew.

From what I read they found them dug in and in their emergency shelter which is like a space blanket.

Same here Nathan, grew up playing baseball against one of the Prineville shots that lost his life on Storm King and worked with the crew on occasion after the incident during the summers chasing smoke in the west.

Bad deal...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Article this morning said that all 19 men deployed their fire shelters, but only a few had time to get in... and even they didn't survive. Must have been a very, very hot, and very, very fast fire.

Prayers going out to their families today.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
prayers for the firefighters, families, friends. meighbors, and agency personnel. they've all got so much to work through.

yet another tragedy.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
A previous thread about the same;

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ldland_Firefighters_and_thei#Post7860638

Originally Posted by RoninPhx

It was the granite mountain hotshots. For those not knowing the area, yarnell is on the edge of the plateau, going down a steep run to the bottom and congress/then wickenburg. That is real tuff country in there. That covers areas like stanton, octave, and so on, historic silver producing areas.
I had heard that it started along the hassayampa river.
There isn't words.

Originally Posted by NathanL
I guess this was a local fire department crew.

http://standwitharizona.com/blog/2013/06...n-arizona-fire/

Those firefighters were seasoned professionals that got trapped in a devastating turn of events with the Yarnell fire.

R.I.P. brave men......my condolences to their families in this time of loss and sorrow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heroes. My Prayers and my Salute to those Men and their families. We are so fortunate and Honored to have such Men stand on the line for us.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Godson is a smoke jumper here in BC(We call them Rapid Attack).My prayers go to the families of these brave young men.Why must it be that we always lose the best of of each generation. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 21 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.