Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SuperCub;
Thanks for the reply and return greeting.

She ended up with a Forester after driving a Rav4, a Tuscon, a Nissan of some description and a Honda CRV. She almost bought the CRV but then wanted to look at a Vitara at the Subaru/Suzuki dealership in Penticton where she spotted the Forester.

For longer trips the steering is a little more tight and precise than our Corolla, so you can't relax quite as much.

The passenger seat in the front of the Forester is suspect - and at 5'6" I can double as a lawn gnome and the seating in the back is no better if any than the Corolla.

I will say that the crash tests are very, very impressive with most Subaru vehicles.

I'm totally with troutfly in that it seems that corporate Subaru has become the darling of most things I'm not - but hey it's my wife car and she likes being able to get to work no matter what the BC winter tosses in our lap that morning.

There are a few weird things about them too that lead me to believe a decent mechanic and or local dealer couldn't hurt. For instance changing the timing belt on that pancake engine looks like something I will not be doing myself. eek

All the best to you all again SuperCub.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/30/13. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are very popular here in CT were I live along with Volvo X-70 x-c's, the Forrester is a very popular hunting and fishing car here. Didn't know about the marketing to the [bleep] thou. Were I live the roads are the last to get cleaned off and because of the nature of the hills, it can be interesting for some drivers. The problem for most is that Studded tires are not legal for quite some time. An outback or a volvo s-70 x-c AWD and you would never get stuck going up the hills around my place in winter. They have a very steep grade, it don't take much in the way of snow and ice to create problems, more than once I had to go the long way around.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When its solid sheet ice on the roads, I really don't care what people think.. wifey is driving this.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
speaking of bumper stickers, saw a good one the other day, that was new to me

How come everyone driving slower than me is a Fing idiot,
and anyone driving faster than me is a Fing maniac?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
off Topic, but Happy Canada Day to all you Canucks!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
My wife and I usually spend a few days in June doing the New England thing before it gets too busy. This year is was Maine .... We did Portland, Bar Harbour, Freeport, Bucksport, Camden, Boothbay, Pemaquid Lighthouse, Searsport, Ellsworth etc etc ....

What's with all the Subarus down there? They are EVERYWHERE!
Was it a local Gay Pride thing goin' on??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Subaru's blow head gaskets are are typically owned by liberal yankees BULL DYKES AND METROSEXUALS who don't know enough to deal with the guy who fixes them.

Fixed

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
My wife and I usually spend a few days in June doing the New England thing before it gets too busy. This year is was Maine .... We did Portland, Bar Harbour, Freeport, Bucksport, Camden, Boothbay, Pemaquid Lighthouse, Searsport, Ellsworth etc etc ....

Nope ... Mostly ME plates with reg couples & families.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

Nope ... Mostly ME plates with reg couples & families.
'Kay...

Just west of here, the vast majority of Suburu drivers are, ah, rainbowers, if ya get my drift.. Go to any Lynx game and check the parking lots.. laugh

Maybe those residents up in your area just have one helluva good dealer there.. (shrug)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Subarus are the official car of Missoula Mt. Everyother car there is a sub. And the tailgates are full on billboards for any tree hugging bumper sticker they can get their hands on.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal

So here's the thing with the Subaru she's got SuperCub - she can stop it anywhere on the hill and it'll start again with no spinning, no fuss, no muss. Oh, did I mention it's running some cheesy all season off shore rubber?

Yep.

When I totalled my Chrysler 300 in an ice storm in WI in '09 I said "enough" and bought a Subaru Forester. Because roads ice up so badly in WI, I ran Blizzaks on it in winter and all-seasons the rest of the year. It was without question the best snow/ice car I've ever had, and between my kids and I we've owned 6 Subarus (mostly Legacy wagons). When I moved to TX I sold the Forester to my daughter who lives in Milwaukee.

A pickup is a more practical vehicle here in west Texas. But if I ever lose my mind and move north again, I'll trade the pickup in on a new Forester.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 264mag, 673, 17CalFan, 204guy, 30 invisible), 3,068 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,996
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.