Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I spend a lot of my nights off sitting in a lawn chair and casually checking out the sky...
No telescope, at least not yet. I do make good use of my leupie binoculars.

Seen a few cool things, a few weird things... But mostly I relax and reflect on weighty matters that no one will ever recall after I'm gone.

I do get a kick out of shooting stars. Especially the occasional really bright or long ones that traverses the entire sky...

Fascinated by both satellites and aircraft. We have a regular visitor that I believe is a daily UPS run. A fair sized jet that passes nightly at about the same course, time and low altitude.

Mostly I sit and drink iced tea, or coffee. Occasionally on the frostier nights I'll do a hot cocoa. And once in a while, in the summer, a beer or two.

Who else stays up like that?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Used to do it a lot when younger. We would sit outside every night as teenagers. Nowadays I've got to get my sleep. My kids don't sleep in, ever. smile

But I definitely get you. Still do it when backpacking. I'll probably do it every night when the boys are all grown up.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No reason to this time of year here.

In the winter, I'll look when the sky is favorable. But when it's favorable to viewing, it's not favorable to staying out gazing.

The sky is clearest with high pressure and that generally means c o l d in the winter.

Meteor showers seem to be really late at night (1 - 4 AM) here and often occurring with overcast skies

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some of the best, and definitely the longest I've ever watched the Aurora was a night in February some years ago that I and a pard siwashed in the White Mountains.

got to -25 in town, believe it might have been a tad colder out there.

regardless, I'd have loved for the sumbitch that rated that bag to -30 F to been in one just like it right next to me. Brrrrr

love to skywatch, but as my friend ironbender related this ain't the best country for it, certainly not like layin on the hood of a car in cutoffs as in my youth in MO

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I often stay up past 2am. A lot of that time is spent looking up. Love it. Especially where I live. Almost no lights on at night and usually clear skies.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my leupie binoculars.

Love "Star Gazing" through the single ocular lens of my now "ancient" Leupold VX3 4.5 X 14 .

Folks really get confused about optics, and low QUALITY power, versus some Chinese telescope.

So, are you officially "Loony" after the last HD Moon ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a nice site particularly for satellites. Besides predictions for your location you can find out which one you just saw.
Heavens Above
Iridium flares are fun. With the right crowd and if your timing is good you can do magic.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's one for aurora prediction Ovation Aurora and one for space weather generally Space Weather Now

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I howl at the moon once in while. Do'es that count?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
As a teen I spent a lot of time gazing with my 80x reflective telescope. I guess the neatest thing I saw was a meteor impact the moon.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd rather be jerkin off in a briar patch.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
To each, his own.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'd rather be jerkin off in a briar patch.
funny,,,,,,,, I figured you was a meat gazer

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had some astronomy in college, and really enjoyed it. Afterwards, I had a flat roof on my house, and used to go out and lay flat on my back and watch.

Now I have the farm, and can sit out and watch. The whole family is into it. Satellites and meteors are fun.

If y'all want to stretch it a bit, it isn't really all that hard to see incredible things with just a good pair of binos. You have the rings of Saturn, the moons of Jupiter, and a good number of the Messier objects. You just have to know where to look, and now they have an app for your phone that shows you were it all is.

If y'all haven't tried this, it's worth it. Take your hunting binos this fall and find Orion in the sky. Find his belt and then find his sword, hanging off his belt. Examine the belt slowly, and eventually you will find a patch of green. That's the Orion Nebula.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Yes, long hours of night fishing out in a small boat with only the stars to keep company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Celestial Surveying got me interested in the night sky. I still drag my 80mm telescope out on clear winter nights.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a great website to get you started:

This Week's Sky at a Glance

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ain't no nite in these parts....now come January I toss a old sleeping bag down> Then a bean bag ,then me & wife... then another sleeping bag...LET THE SHOW BEGIN!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Binoculars and a lawn chair make the best warp drive yet devised.
Navigation helps, the number of things worth seeing that lie just a hair beyond the range of the naked eyeball will astound you. Get this and don't try to gobble it all at one sitting. Night by night. http://carolrpt.com/astroguidev9complete.pdf

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I enjoy it. Hauling the heavy mount out isn't fun anymore though at my age so often I revert to a good set of binos smile

[Linked Image]

-=[Bob]=-
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,603
Posts18,511,511
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.