Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 144 of 229 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 228 229
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Sorry my punctuation may have been [bleep] on the count of clackin my responses through my smart phone while dodging log trucks and moose on the highway.

What are you fishing for, specks and browns?
Now that Im back we will be fishing for specks ( which I beleive we call brook trout) and browns with an occasional rainbow or cutthroat.

And you boys just keep hating pike, you'll be sorry one day, but meanwhile a pike only lake costs half as much to fish as a walleye/pike lake. And gee, I miss catching fish that fight as well as a clump of moss... wink

Nice thing I guess, if there are no gamefish around..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older guys I used to troll the finger lakes in NY with used to HATE pike with a passion. Every spring they would be up in the shallows spawning and that's right about the time of year that they stocked the fingerling trout. They used to kill every pike they caught.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Thanks 99! What part of western Ontario are you from anyhow? I'm from the Sault. Stickphuck cant help but flap at the gums, its all hes got. PS- she's the Root anyhow, so fugg 'um.

Lets take up UNICEF donations for Stickbow, we'll see if his buddy Obammy will pledge him for a couple hundred while we're at it.

Howdy Arch,

Located 2 hours north of International falls, in a lovely small town called Dryden Ontario, split by Highway 17.

Moved here 8 years ago from Brisbane, Australia. Here is home now, could never go back & live in a City again.

Paul.

Dryden! Good choice. I'm next door in Cochrane right now. I spend a lot of time in Wawa/White river and if I could get a good paying job there id be planted for a while...

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sorry my punctuation may have been [bleep] on the count of clackin my responses through my smart phone while dodging log trucks and moose on the highway.

What are you fishing for, specks and browns?
Now that Im back we will be fishing for specks ( which I beleive we call brook trout) and browns with an occasional rainbow or cutthroat.

And you boys just keep hating pike, you'll be sorry one day, but meanwhile a pike only lake costs half as much to fish as a walleye/pike lake. And gee, I miss catching fish that fight as well as a clump of moss... wink

Nice thing I guess, if there are no gamefish around..... grin

All kidding aside I love eating pike. If I catch 24ish inchers they're dead meat. Honestly I don't know why I love Walleye so much....must be an Ontario thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GW;
Thanks for sharing the photos of your rifles again sir, some of them are about perfect to my tastes.

If you are so inclined and have the time, is the Luxus a drop block action as it appears to me to be?

Does the lever on the right side enable you to manually cock and uncock the action?

They are interesting action and would rank right up there for me if either the yard deer would quit eating the fruit off of our money tree or we won the lotto. Well a Hagn would work for me as well.... wink

All the best to you and yours GW and thanks again.

Dwayne

PS:
Happy Fourth to you all south of the medicine line

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/04/13.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, we really like it here. Very laid back & so much to do in all seasons. Good paying jobs are a little harder to come by, since the Mill lay offs.

Thought fug it & bought my own business again !

Have fun bloke.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Archie; Do you use the five fillet method on pike? When I do get a decent one that is how I fillet them or just chunk them up and pickle them. That is an aquired taste and must be a U.P. thing. I haven't run into many folks outside my home locale that dig pickled fish.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PIKE?!?!?! You drove to Canada to fish for freaking PIKE?!?!?! Wow....you Americans are weird.....you know we snap their necks and throw them back in the lake while we're walleye fishing right?

Dwayne I wish you wouldn't have told me that!! :P

Laffin'.

Hey, Abnormal [bleep] Phrench Canooker.....PM me when you get close to SLM's....I'm FM til then.
4th of July was great. I lit a match.

How come you work so much? Is it to support the Normal Phrench that don't? GFY.

Have Dog

Will Travel

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
BC30cal,

Here is a review of the Luxus Model 11

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/luxus-arms-model-11-review/

and from their website

http://www.luxusarms.com/

The model 11 is a break action, not a falling block or drop block. The hammer is external and on the right side. It can be manually de-cocked by depressing the trigger and letting the hammer down with the thumb.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Slave I was just off for 8 weeks laugh unlike the rest of the Canadians though I didn't have to soak welfare to finance my time off.

Brink, I used to do the 5 piece method but I found a much nicer way. An old timer from the UP named Eugene showed it to me. Its hard to explain but very easy to do. I'll try and find a video.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gee',

Here's hoping The 'Cart Trails,some day get paved for you.

Laffin'!

Mojo,

The B-78 wearing a pistole grip,is where it's at...if a guy loses a big enough bet,to have to drive a Single.

They'd do nice things in a Cart.(grin)

archie,

Been a fair amount of wind here,but it's getting to be the time to coax feeshes,outta The Milford's icebergs.

SLM,

The Snoopy Rod Tourney is held in THE highest esteem in these parts.

Will try to catch some of the carnage on video,this year.

,gwe,

If I fished...I'd prolly be driving a 7.5'-8' UL and a Stradic 2500. Longer casts,more control and more carnage...according to F&S.

Happiness is an Loomis GLX 1141-S 9'6" UL blowing right the [bleep] up on a 35" Trout. LOVED the sound of the explosion.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hell...mighta even snuck in some Blurtitude for SLM,before it were over.

[Linked Image]

'Hank,

I'm still waitin' on Feeshin Trip advice and Terminal Tackle tips,for my pending Alaskan BWT...in 8yrs or so.

Thanks!

Brinky',

What have you almost done,since you last Posted? What did you almost do it with? Where didja' almost do it? Laffin'!

Which excuses are "working" best for you,as of late?

Laffin'!

BEST Thread Evah!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks, appreciate it. Just PM me a link when you find it. I've been getting out here and there and catching some with the fly rod. Been using an Ingwe pattern or two. wink Quite interesting catching one of any size with a fly rod in a canoe. Might end up swimming after one yet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What's your version of "here and there" and even funnier yet "any size". Laffin'!

As an aside,what did you almost do today? Which excuse you figure on activating?!? Laffin'!

Slow day here along The Milford,as a few of the Goats decided to frolic in the sand on the hot beach and play in the very warm water. This Global Warmin' is [bleep] great. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

I realize it ain't in the same league as a canoe ride for Pan Fish,a Golf Cart ride through locked gates or watchin' TV...you lucky "hard charging" Window Licking bastards. Laffin'!

BEST Thread Evah!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Boxer

,gwe,

Happiness is an Loomis GLX 1141-S 9'6" UL blowing right the [bleep] up on a 35" Trout. LOVED the sound of the explosion.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Loomis is good stuff. You musta mistreated it..... whistle

Heres a 'pard trying to blow up a 4' Micro light with a 500 Shimano on a pike..

[Linked Image]

Couldnt get it done...but after a few hundred the reel was schitt... but pike don't run like those adipose finned fishys.... wink

Only thing breakin rods on this trip was my wife...she disposed of a 5.5 footer....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It was July 1st and July 2nd. Been working since. On the first I was on Wabasis Lake in NE Kent County. Hooked eight total but nothing worth keeping, all in between 18" and 26". The second I went to Lincoln Lake NE Kent County and about a hour into it I hooked a keeper. I let him play himself out and he measured 37" and maybe a 1/2" more. Called it good, paddled around the lake and made my way home. Both days I hit the water around 0530. The rod I used is a hand made, 2 piece 9 weight, fast action built by a buddy of mine in Cadillac MI. The reel is a Ross LT and it holds #9 weight forward Scientific Angler line and I have Courtland Toothy Critters leader. I also have a 8" steel leader on that with a snap. Pike don't get scared from splash so a noisy presentation is not a problem. Flies were a double hooked perch on day one and a single hooked mouse on day two. Canoe was a 16' Old Town Ojibiway and the paddle I made myself out of figured maple and cedar. The only other thing I had with me was a pair of pliers and a 14" piece of steel pipe to knock'em on the head. The pike is now soaking in a covered bucket of brine in my basement. Nothing more, home by 0900 to avoid other boaters, just fishing.

Last edited by brinky72; 07/06/13. Reason: forgot the pipe

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
72, we are considering a short trip to Mich. to visit my wife's family... Will the pike still be hitting flies in Aug..?? How about panfish..??? Only caught one pike on a fly and it was a small one..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
August is about the absolute worst time to fish here IMO. You can get them but they are usually in the deeper, cooler water if you're fishing inland lakes. If you're on one of the Great Lakes you may still be able to get them somewhat close to the surface and or shore but it's hit and miss. Best bet though is deeper with a red and white Daredevil or stick bait. That has been my experience anyhow. Check a big marina or two though because I've seen some dandies lurking in them. June and early July has been the best for me or through the ice. Pan fish? Hit and miss as well and by August they usually get a little wormy depending on where your fishing. If you're in the east side near Lake St Clair they have some real good Pike water per rumor and fish report. I have never been there in August though.
One of the nicest Pike I have ever seen was one my Niece had on when she was about five years old. She was fishing with basically a snoopy pole, bobber and worm in the L'Anse Marina. The perch had moved into the marina and we were looking to get into a few. A huge Northern that was patrolling for the same perch we were and decided to swipe the night crawler and spool out dang near all the line she had on that thing. I just told her to hang on and I got a firm hold on her so she didn't end up swimming. Needless to say it straightened out the hook and kept on chugging. I would bet that one was a 40+ incher. That was in August so, you can find them in the least likely spots at the least likely times. Let me know where exactly in Michigan you are headed and I'll see what I can find out thruough some fish reports.

Last edited by brinky72; 07/06/13.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
72, thanks.. we will be just across the Mac. Bridge a few miles.. I am planning to try for salmon in the lakes, my step son has a boat, but fly fishing for pike sounds like a whole lot more fun..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Try Munuscong Lake, Brevoort Lake and Manistique Lake if you're in the Eastern Upper Peninsula. Big, loud colored flies if you want to fly fish. If you're using spin cast tackle I would go with the classics such as buzz baits, Hula Poppers, Bucktails, and a pike fishing trip wouldn't be complete without a red and white Daredevil.
If you know someone who has access to it, Hulbert Lake is the bomb but it is privately owned. Deep and spring fed though and the bottom looks like the surface of the moon with all the springs. Big pike but, if you don't know someone forget it.
The above mentioned lakes also have pan fish and rainbow trout. With that double check to see if you have to buy the all species(formally trout stamp) license to fish it. Some lakes are designated "trout lakes" and require the all species license just to be on the water. Again, I can't guarantee August fishing as the water is usually warm and the fishing slows down but, this year has been cooler than most especially in the U.P.
I can look up a fish/bait shop near there when things get close and see what I can find out for you. Or just google one yourself. The folks up there are pretty friendly. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by brinky72; 07/06/13.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bump Archie James about the Salmon fishing. He comes across the border and hits that area regularly for Salmon. He might even take you on a trip in his new boat.

Page 144 of 229 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 74 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.