Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Zimmerman would likely be dead today, or brain damaged.
I tend to think he was a bit brain damaged to begin with.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'd never advocate an empty chamber as the best way to carry, or even a good way to carry.

Evidently some folks missed this.

I'm not saying carrying cold the way to go. I'm saying that the worn out old "it's too slow", "paperweight / safety scissors" arguments aren't a reason to carry hot.

I'm not a proponent of hot or cold in this conversation. I'm a proponent for critical thinking.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Israel it�s the law that guns are carried without a round in the chamber. So they have devised tactics that work very well for that type of carry.

Clearly it�s always better to carry with a round chambered, but to say that Condition 3 is worthless, is a HUGE stretch. Our military carried that way for a good 80 years�yet many people still were killed with .45 caliber holes in them. So apparently someone figured out how to use their safety scissors.

And from the inception of the 1911 until around the mid �70�s, Condition 2 was the most common mode of carry for civilians. Again, clearly Condition 1 is preferred, but it�s also clear that Condition 2 can work.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I started to read all the responses, and I was really amazed with all the responses.

To surmise: If you are carrying for self defense, you need one in the chamber for a semi-auto. On a double action revolver, you can keep the hammer down on an empty chamber if you like because it will chamber a round as you cock it with your thumb or trigger.

Any other opinions are asinine, and this thread can be locked now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
hot chamber. always. CCW or hunting.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
always and would carry two in the chamber if possible

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hot chamber. always. CCW or hunting.

This. I always unload at the vehicle as required by my states law while hunting of course. Before my kids were grown I ALWAYS cleared the chamber before I took a handgun off of my person. When I picked it up again to carry it, I loaded a round and press checked. I think this is a good habit. Just like leaving the "wire".

I agree with Blue that this is not a cut-and-dried issue. What about off-body carry? Like a "man purse" in the truck?

I agree in principal with Doc and his Olde English Rott rondevous. I dare say that someone who's been to the Rogers Shooting School won't have an issue getting a round chambered strong-hand only though. The guy in the video below is shooting (to slide lock) and reloading with his right/dominant hand ONLY

Try to keep up with the old man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwNgMQlF1vI

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 07/03/13. Reason: added info
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Doesn't everyone?

Exactly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Z
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Z
I re-read all the posts and I think I see what Blue is trying to do. I believe he is attempting to get us to think about why we do things.

Here goes. I carry with a round in the chamber because I have had occasion to draw my weapon multiple times. Sometimes, maybe even most, there has been ample warning with time to chamber a round. There have however been many times when the presentation was very quick.

In the quick presentation scenarios I was glad to be ready that much faster. Also, anything extra added under stress is one more chance to mess up. I just can not think of a single reason to NOT have a round I the chamber.

It should be noted my experience is as an on-duty LEO so it is not exactly the same as CCW.

-Z

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"Do you carry with a round in the chamber?"

Yes, always.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
If you do not understand why a gun should be carried in condition one than you are naive or an idiot.

Along the same line of thinking, in the context of a self defense tool, an unloaded gun (Anything but condition one) is about as useful as safety scissors, a pocket knife, or a paperweight; which is to say a bludgeoning or stabbing implement.

While I understand the argument for Condition 1, I disagree with your suggestion that anyone who doesn't carry that way is naive or an idiot. I carry empty chamber and safety off which means I have the same manual of arms for all of my carry weapons, a good thing IMHO because some are safety up and others are safety down to fire. If I was going to carry otherwise it would probably be Condition 2, which still allows the same manual of arms if the safeties are left disengaged, albeit at somewhat higher chance of an AD.

Everyone has to judge for themselves the merits of the various carry methods. It is hardly naive or idiotic to weigh the options and choose something other than Condition 1 based on a person's individual situation. Big Brother carries Condition 1 and has done so for many years. His 280Z also had a hole in the floor on the passenger side because of a thumb slip while lowering the hammer on a 1911. I choose Condition 3 because I estimate the probability of my need for a quick draw and shoot just slightly higher than my chances of winning the lottery jackpot - and I don't buy lottery tickets.

One thing I've learned over the years is that Murphy will have his way. Safeties fail, people screw up, schit happens. Condition 3 is 100% safe regardless of the condition of the safety or the mental condition of the shooter. Yes, it takes marginally longer to make a weapon in Condition 3 ready to fire; yes, it generally takes two hands to do so quickly and reliably. On the other hand, nothing prevents a person from going to Condition 1 or Condition 0 early on if something sets off their alarms.

Walking down the streets of Denver after dark I'd probably go to Condition 1, but I don't do that kind of thing. Walking down the road in my area I rarely even carry at all. Situations vary, as does the appropriate response.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/03/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Do whatever floats your boat. I have no issue with "I always carry hot". I do have an issue with "I DON'T carry cold because blah blah blah", when "blah blah blah" is just a bunch of cliches and speculation.

We need thinkers that are shooters and shooters that are thinkers. Shooters are usually easier to find than thinkers, IME.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are ever going to have an AD, it will be carrying a 1911 in Condition 2 (Hammer down on a live round). You have 2 chances to go bang if you let the hammer slip, one letting it down, and 2 cocking it. I personally carry condition 1, and if I couldn't do that, it would be Condition 3.

Last edited by jstall; 07/04/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jstall
If you are ever going to have an AD, it will be carrying a 1911 in Condition 2 (Hammer down on a live round). You have 2 chances to go bang if you let the hammer slip, one letting it down, and 2 cocking it. I personally carry condition 1, and if I couldn't do that, it would be Condition 3.

ADs are not all created equal.

In going to Condition 2, one is hopefully pointing the gun in a safe direction, outside the home or car, something that is not a problem for people like me that live in the country or keep a bucket of sand in their garage. Do it once, carry all day, then unload at day's end, again pointing the gun in a safe direction. An AD would not be welcome but wouldn't present much danger, either.

By contrast, Condition 1 requires working safeties all the time. I've seen safeties fail on loaded rifles (the infamous Remington M700 Fire-On-Release safety issue) and my S&W manufactured PPK/S was subject to a factory recall due to a problem with the hammer-drop safety causing ADs when activated on a loaded chamber. How many LE types have shot themselves in the leg or foot while holstering their gun with a round in the chamber? An Aurora cop was killed some years back in a training session because someone else's gun was loaded in the chamber (inappropriately, to be sure, but loaded nevertheless).

Like Condition 2, going to and from Condition 1 presents two opportunities for an AD. Condition 1 also presents a constant and much higher possibility of an AD due to failed safeties, safeties inadvertently being pushed off, mishandling, mental lapses, whatever. In the many hundreds of times I've had a concealed firearm with me I've never once needed to go to Condition 1 or 2. That is many hundreds of times X 2 that an opportunity for an AD has been avoided. The one time I would have gone to Condition 1 my only weapon was a folding defensive knife - but I had plenty of time to make it - or a firearm - ready.

By the way, someone mentioned hunting with an empty chamber and suggested it is the only sensible way. It is not my way, at least not most of the time, and in 30 years of hunting Colorado's big game I can't think of a single instance where an empty chamber cost me an animal. The arguments for an empty chamber while hunting are pretty much the same as for carrying in Condition 3. Both are perfectly rational depending on a person's individual situation.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/04/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Carrying in condition 1,2,or 3 is obviously a personal choice with the 1st being the most popular. I think the choice of weapon is also a determining factor as illustrated in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6h4kgxNzY4

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In Condition 1 you have 2 safeties in play all the time (thumb safety and grip safety) and of course the most important safety of all, your finger. Keep it off the trigger till your sights are on the target. I've shot IPSC for years with a 1911, (as well as being around numerous other people shooting 1911's) and have yet to see an AD because of a safety. Pulling the trigger before they were ready yes, but not the safety. If you are scared of carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, then I would seriously choose one of the various pull, point, shoot type pistols, of course realizing that they will be cocked and locked also with a round in the chamber.

Last edited by jstall; 07/04/13.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In Condition 1 you have 2 safeties in play all the time (thumb safety and grip safety) and of course the most important safety of all, your finger. Keep it off the trigger till your sights are on the target. I've shot IPSC for years with a 1911, (as well as being around numerous other people shooting 1911's) and have yet to see an AD because of a safety. Pulling the trigger before they were ready yes, but not the safety. If you are scared of carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, then I would seriously choose one of the various pull, point, shoot type pistols, of course realizing that they will be cocked and locked also with a round in the chamber.
The Real Hawkeye Likes This Post.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Carrying any handgun for serious social purposed that cannot/should not be carried with a round in the chamber seems like a poor choice to me. YMMV.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you are scared of carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, then I would seriously choose one of the various pull, point, shoot type pistols, of course realizing that they will be cocked and locked also with a round in the chamber.

Not necessarily.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well we can split hairs on this design or that design, but I think most people understand what I was trying to say. Personally speaking, if I'm going to carry a gun, it is going to be ready for immediate action, and in my mind at least, that means one in the chamber!

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,983
Posts18,480,914
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.