Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Doesn't everyone?

Why wouldn't you?

It's pretty telling that it took almost 70 responses before anyone asked WHY cold carrying is done, instead of just saying "your way sucks".

For a while several years ago I carried a Kel-Tec .380 with a pocket clip, appendix carry because it hid in what I was wearing. The make, model, caliber, and method of carry were all compromises. But they were inexpensive and at the time I couldn't afford to pay attention, so that's what I used.

When appendix carrying a couple of things played into my decision to carry cold.
1) I was really trying to avoid shooting my pecker off, or sending a hydrashok through my femoral artery. Drawing from this carry method was never smooth because I had a tucked in dress shirt and it was just never really comfortable. I wasn't SURE that I could draw under stress in any clothing and avoid snagging the trigger so I carried cold.

2) I used a two hand draw....Left hand pushed up on the muzzle and exposed the grip and the right hand started reaching in and caught it. Both my hands were already at the gun, with my left hand covering it as it came out and it was readily available for charging the pistol. This also allowed me to draw very discreetly since my left palm could completely cover the whole pistol.

I practiced a lot and felt safer carrying cold than hot. I was just as fast carrying cold because the extra care I took drawing while hot took extra time.

Were there issues with this setup? Of course. So please don't bother telling me how I could've carried better seven years ago. If I thought it was the best I'd still be doing it. And I'm sure I can find a hypothetical doomsday scenario where your method of carry sucks too.

There will be compromises with any thing and any way you carry. You just have to look around and decide what the best solution is to the problems that you have. And make your decisions based on actual evidence (putting rounds down range with a timer) instead of preconceived notions about how things have to be done.

Blue good post.

I also see times when the totality of risks may favor cold carry. Something mentioned early is the "administrative handling". For those of us with kids, the risks may favor a cold chamber at home. All the extra chambering and clearing adds an element of risk. If you live in a apartment or densly populated area, this risk can be increased. Depending on a persons current risk profile, this may outweight the added benefit of a hot chamber.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Laffin' Laffin' Laffin'

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carrying hot should be a prerequisite for carrying at all. Carrying cold is a recipe for disaster in a self defense situation.

I'm not too bright, but I do have my moments. Hopefully I'm not the only one that sees this?

All other kaffirs need not apply. GFY

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
condition 1, but then I have been strictly a govt model carrier for 40 yrs. same weapon the whole time. I know her parts as well as I do my wife's and am comfortable handling both in the same condition.

Last edited by deerstalker; 07/06/13.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Evidently you missed where I said that I'm not promoting cold carry, or where I quoted myself to make it clear.

My point about the Jewish method is not that cold carry is great, but to point out that cold carry does not = instant death, safety scissors, or paperweights.

And please don't start droning on about the decades old "modern technique".

I suppose I did miss it. My apologies. How about we substitute "modern technique" (Excuse me Col. Cooper) with "current training doctrine"? Methods and training are constantly evolving. Hopefully, they evolve due to lessons learned in the real world and not because someone dreams something up they want to tack their name onto.

One other thing to remember, is that when the Israelis were using their "method" they were carrying out assassinations and working in teams. Doing so, they were proactive and were ahead of the curve in identifying their target and initiating the action without the target's knowledge with plenty of time to make ready. Everything else about the Israeli method is due to slick marketing and urban legend.

Armed citizens and cops under the best of circumstances are reacting to someone else's initation of action.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Evidently you missed where I said that I'm not promoting cold carry, or where I quoted myself to make it clear.

My point about the Jewish method is not that cold carry is great, but to point out that cold carry does not = instant death, safety scissors, or paperweights.

And please don't start droning on about the decades old "modern technique".

I suppose I did miss it. My apologies. How about we substitute "modern technique" (Excuse me Col. Cooper) with "current training doctrine"? Methods and training are constantly evolving.

Fair enough. I just cringe when I hear "modern technique", because it's nearly always used by some tool whose only exposure to pistol training is reading Cooper's Commentaries and who wears a ghillie suit to the range. At least IME.

And I agree that cold carry isn't a part of any current training doctrine, at least that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Laffin' Laffin' Laffin'

We need thinkers that are shooters and shooters that are thinkers. Shooters are usually easier to find than thinkers, IME.

Like I said.....

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
CH ...
... robberies and assaults. Unless you have a crystal ball you have no clue when this is going to happen. Walking along a nice woods path and be attacked but a pack of dogs... You want to take the chance of flubbing a "rack". Try turning, running and racking one handed some time...it is hard enough two. Sit in a car, draw and rack while dringing... Just last week RGS posted that video of the car jacking...you want to rack while that is going down...

You are right, no one can accurately predict such events. There are, however, possibilities and probabilities, historical data, behavior patterns and other indicators one can use to good advantage to greatly reduce the probability of an unwanted event.

It is somewhat like hunting in reverse. When hunting you go where you think the animals are. In the case of two-legged animals though, you go where you think they will not be or at least at times where their presence isn't likely and you don't engage in behavior that either suggests you are or in fact makes you an easy target.

Like hunting, there are no guarantees. I could hunt antelope in my back yard but don't because in 25 years we've only seen antelope there once and they were passing through at a high rate of speed. Nevertheless I've killed two antelope less than a mile north of the house. (These days I find it easier and more rewarding to hunt antelope in Wyoming where the animals are plentiful and I can get multiple licenses.) Elk range to within a mile of our home but in those same 25 years we've never seen them from the house - hunting them from the back deck would likely be a fruitless endeavor but by hunting elsewhere in Colorado I've taken 10 elk since the year 2000.

When the Franktown fire occurred a couple years ago a neighbor's roof caught fire and the flames came to within 300 yards of our place. We didn't worry too much about our home because we are outside the trees and keep the grass near the house mowed down and fairly well watered, plus it is surrounded on three sides by asphalt and concrete. That's not to say our house couldn't burn from such a fire but it isn't likely, either. I worry more about burglars, which is why our valuables are locked up in a heavy-duty and very heavy gun safe and at night we have a loaded gun by the bed. Burglars aren't likely though, because our home is too exposed. Any burglar that isn't a complete half-wit would pick one of our neighbor's homes first, where the trees and/or terrain would hide their activities.

Nothing people do can guarantee they won't be a target or a victim but there is much they can do to minimize the probability of that happening.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/07/13. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by RWL99

How many carry with a chambered round?

I carry six of them. grin

I'm with Poobah, I carry a round in all chambers! grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+1

The foundation for old age is good memories.
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, always.
However, I knew a cop once that carried a 1911 w/ the chamber empty, and cocked and locked. Back then, most cops got shot with their own guns. He practiced regularly drawing, taking the safety off and chambering a round. I showed him how to do it one handed. For those that don't know, you turn the gun 45 degrees and slightly away from your body and hook the rear sight on your belt or holster. Holding the sight firmly hooked, you push the gun away from you. When it stops with the slide open, simply lift it free. Not a bad skill to have, BTW.
How ever one carries, I firmly believe it should only be done one way. Simple and straight forward is always best. So, it's your call.
Heck, maybe you have kids that you are concerned about. Even some adults can't chamber a round, but anybody can pull a trigger, even a DA one. So, perhaps it's a good option for those with special concerns. E

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I teach security officers & failure to have the handgun with a round chambered is cause for dismissal. On rare occasions have found officers on duty who forgot to load weapon. Usually due to reporting late for shift. They are transferred immediately to non-armed sites. Any time I carry my handgun(s) off duty they are loaded with spare magazines or speed loaders. Why carry a gun that isn't ready to fire. Same with my tactical knife. Its fast opening & always at hand.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Bear, not all of us are carrying around a half of a million dollars in large bills. What makes sense for your secutrity firm may not always make sense for the rest of us.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree with tbear why carry if the weapon is not ready for immediate action

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Doesn't everyone?

Why wouldn't you?

It's pretty telling that it took almost 70 responses before anyone asked WHY cold carrying is done, instead of just saying "your way sucks".

For a while several years ago I carried a Kel-Tec .380 with a pocket clip, appendix carry because it hid in what I was wearing. The make, model, caliber, and method of carry were all compromises. But they were inexpensive and at the time I couldn't afford to pay attention, so that's what I used.

When appendix carrying a couple of things played into my decision to carry cold.
1) I was really trying to avoid shooting my pecker off, or sending a hydrashok through my femoral artery. Drawing from this carry method was never smooth because I had a tucked in dress shirt and it was just never really comfortable. I wasn't SURE that I could draw under stress in any clothing and avoid snagging the trigger so I carried cold.

2) I used a two hand draw....Left hand pushed up on the muzzle and exposed the grip and the right hand started reaching in and caught it. Both my hands were already at the gun, with my left hand covering it as it came out and it was readily available for charging the pistol. This also allowed me to draw very discreetly since my left palm could completely cover the whole pistol.

I practiced a lot and felt safer carrying cold than hot. I was just as fast carrying cold because the extra care I took drawing while hot took extra time.

Were there issues with this setup? Of course. So please don't bother telling me how I could've carried better seven years ago. If I thought it was the best I'd still be doing it. And I'm sure I can find a hypothetical doomsday scenario where your method of carry sucks too.

There will be compromises with any thing and any way you carry. You just have to look around and decide what the best solution is to the problems that you have. And make your decisions based on actual evidence (putting rounds down range with a timer) instead of preconceived notions about how things have to be done.

Blue, your story reminds of a sidearm I used to carry. The thumb safty was small, and in a difficult position. After drawing, I had to break my grip to dig under the safty with my thumb to flip it up, at which point I had to contend with a long, hard, double action trigger pull. After trying it both way, I found it was quicker, more accurate, and more reliable to carry it cold.

Also, it had a nice stiff slide that the kids could not operate.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

JP

How long does it take you to run the slide versus cock it?

Time it and get back to me.

Jayco

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by logcutter

JP

How long does it take you to run the slide versus cock it?

Time it and get back to me.

Jayco

Cock what? Try racking a slide with some one on top of you banging your head into the concrete and get back to me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Owe..So you carry with one in the pipe relying on the safety?

I don't live in an area that shooting someone is the only option.I also do not rely 100% on safety mechanisms...But in saying that,I stoke all my cylinders on revolvers just not on semi-auto's.

Break into my house and once you get through my two dogs,I could load three weapons.Put a gun in my head in a parking lot,it's to late for anything....

So that leaves us with a short warning/people wise with alot of choices and goes back to what you said..Once your already down,he must not have a gun so your going to Zimmer him?

Jayco laugh

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You jump to a lot of conclusions and as always use flawed logic as to your basis to the jumped conclusion.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You said to get back to you about getting your head banged into the concrete..Never have,so tell me about it.

First-If your getting your head bashed in,the guy doesn't have a weapon...

Second-How many times have you been in that very scenario needing a bullet in the chamber of a semi-auto while getting your head bashed in,as you posted?

Third-If you have just a few seconds while an "armed" person threatens your life...How much difference in seconds or milli-seconds does it take to run the slide versus pull the hammer back or even click the safety off.

Now time it and get back to me.

Jayco

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,940
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.