Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay guys, what do I have here? Southeast Nebraska..

My day is not looking good.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks like ants to me confused

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
RLA Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
get some destructive bug killer concentrate, ortho, bayer and spectricide all make some. mix a little stronger than directions say, get family out of house for day and spray well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
First guess is Carpenter Ants. If that's what they are, they are bad news. Unlike termites, they don't eat the wood, they merely hollow it out for their nest. Weakens the wood just as bad as termites.

Call an exterminator.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks like a [b][color:#3333FF]Termite mud tunnel[/color][/b] to me, but might be ants...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like a termite mud tunnel but ants on the outside. Ants eat termites.....call an exterminator.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, ants preying on the termites. Call the Orkin Man.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There's larva exposed to the air at the back of the beam. Surprised to see them exposed to the air.

Found at least 2 places where beams join that have that mud tunnel like mess.

Crap. Did not need this. Fortunately it's in a detached garage and not the house, hoping they haven't made it to the house.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
termites

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't matter what they are, they gotta go.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/martins-permethrin-10-p-2124.html

Martin's Permethrin 10%

Your local feed store should carry this. I've been using this for years as a perimeter spray and it kills all bugs. The directions attached to the bottle list additional insects (fireants, ants, etc.). The 28 day residual effect is nice, and no odor. Can also be used on your dogs, cattle, horses, feed lots, barns, stables etc. (NOT cats).

P.S. the link has a 'Shop By Pest' drop down menu at upper left.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 07/05/13.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We run permethrin maybe every 2-3 months in the summer for sure... helps out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Okay guys, what do I have here? Southeast Nebraska..

My day is not looking good.

[Linked Image]
damm that looks like a line of grey caulk...but to rough. get'em!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are there because they have water available... Killing them solves the first problem... Eliminating the water will keep you from having to repeat the steps...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It is Nebraska and we are very humid in the summer.. but the garage has no leaks and is on concrete foundation with no wet areas around and no wood touching the ground. Utilities don't even run past that building, so no leaks from water or sewer pipes. So if there's water around, nothing I can do about it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There may be nothing obvious, but ants HAVE to have water. You HAVE to eliminate the water or this will not be your first ant rodeo.

I cannot begin to guess where the water is coming from, but from thousands of miles away I KNOW you have a water problem that led to an ant problem. Fixing the ant problem will not fix your ant problem. You have to fix your water problem to fix your ant problem...

To start, what kind of ventilation do you have in the garage? Ridge vents on the roof? Super-tight insulation with vapor barrier? Gable-end vents and a ventilator fan in the attic?

Something is either bringing in water or not allowing it to escape...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call the Orkin Man or his equivalent and have him do both the garage and your house. Had to do that several years ago. They started out in the detached garage 60 feet from the house but still managed to infiltrate the house to some minor extent. Don't make no never mind. They're a bad enough threat to your home's stability that its best to do overkill rather than than just get the garage done and feel you've gotten the upper hand. Now that you've found them you might look to having your garage and house done on a semi-annual or at least annual schedule. Once you find them even if you manage to kill those in the garage and house they'll keep coming from somewhere. They're worse than moles. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, that was interesting. Orkin guy did a full inspection of garage and house and yard and trees, and no signs of any live termites anywhere. Said the mud tunnel might be termites but he doubted it, and there's no signs they've been around for quite a while. But he was leaning towards the mud tunnel not being of termite origin.

So, looks like I'm going to be doing some type of perimeter spray as well as something to spray inside the garage.

Whew.. that's a HUGE relief. Thought I'd have to sell a couple guns there for a week or two. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get more ants.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, if you could find a smidge of Regent insecticide, it is much better than permethrin or similar pyrethroid insecticdes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.