-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's an easy to use filler for old screws holes and something that will fix the splits in my deck joists?

I'm replacing some of the 2x6's that have warped and I'd like to repair the joists that have splits and stripped out screw holes from the 2x6s warping. I need something that will allow the screws to to driven through the same spot or very close.

I thought about using epoxy but it might be too tough when it's cured without pre-drilling all the holes. Mixing wood glue and sawdust would work well but I'd rather buy a ready made product

Ideas?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would drill and insert wood dowels and glue.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Liquid nails.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would use epoxy, why do you think it is too tough? And, why not predrill screw holes?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure what the call it but they have a tape you just lay over the top of the joists and it seals the joist pretty well from the weather/elements. Most lumber yards here carry it.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 07/06/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I would use epoxy, why do you think it is too tough? And, why not predrill screw holes?

Cured epoxy doesn't "give" as easy as wood. Pre-drilling would get around that though.

I just want to dab some goop in the splits and holes and call it good. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Epoxy deteriorates with constant exposure to sunlight. May or may not compromise its structural strength significantly, but it sure gets yellow and ugly. Best to paint it.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gorilla Glue ought to do it. Just remember it expands, so don't over fill holes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can avoid all those problems with the right epoxy. You can get epoxy with UV stabilizers in it and if it really is going to flex (I doubt that much on a deck) you can get a flex additive for it as well. There's a lot more to epoxy than the 5 minute mix tubes you get at the home store.

Otto is my co-pilot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd just use longer screws and forget about filling the holes.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I used epoxy to repair some of the deck boards but it eventually failed because of the wood warping and flexing. The epoxy didn't necessarily fail but the wood next to the repairs flexed/warped and compromised the bond.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'd just use longer screws and forget about filling the holes.

I like that option.

I am planning on using longer screws and then re-staining the deck. There's a few of the treated deck boards that warp depending on whether they're wet or not. It's crappy lumber.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by NathanL
You can avoid all those problems with the right epoxy. You can get epoxy with UV stabilizers in it and if it really is going to flex (I doubt that much on a deck) you can get a flex additive for it as well. There's a lot more to epoxy than the 5 minute mix tubes you get at the home store.

All good points, especially the last. Very true.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wouldn't worry about filling holes in joists either. It not gonna effect the integrity of the joist one iota. Now if a joist is bad, you'll either have to replace it or sister a joist alongside it. I wouldn't worry about trying to glue together a split joist either. Just replace or sister new one alongside it with deck screws and construction adhesive.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I wouldn't worry about filling holes in joists either. It not gonna effect the integrity of the joist one iota. Now if a joist is bad, you'll either have to replace it or sister a joist alongside it. I wouldn't worry about trying to glue together a split joist either. Just replace or sister new one alongside it with deck screws and construction adhesive.

+1 If it's bad enough just replace it or scab to the side. If adding one beside the old one ,I would use full length and make sure it is secured to the structure just like the one you are replacing( like screwed into a seal plate and resting on a support). Use Liquid nails on the top of the joists to help secure the new decking and just use the longer nails.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's trying to match the existing screw pattern on the deck boards.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's not that I'm trying to match the screw pattern exactly but at the ends of the boards/joists there's not much room to vary and avoid hitting the splits.

I'm going to go with gorilla glue and longer screws. That's a quick and easy fix and it will work good enough.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Keep the Gorilla glue off your hands !!

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bad thing about gorilla glue is the amount it expands, depending on where you put it. It can make a hole/split worse.

Otto is my co-pilot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 3,004 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.