Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
OK, I actually got to use it this time---the first order (many moons ago)sat so long the stuff set up, the second order is the victim of the house remodeling and still hasn't shown up, but this time I knew better than to wait so I applied it to five rifle bores today.

Here's my problem: I've read that there is enough stuff in this little bottle to do 5 or 6 rifles, but I applied it as per the instructions to five bores and I've got enough left for probably a dozen or more...more. I didn't saturate the bores until it ran out, I just applied it like it said to and I have so much left, I'm wondering what goes?

How many rifle bores are you guys treating with one little bottle of this stuff? I'd have to have barrels that are 8 feet long to use up all of this stuff in six bores.
Help (?)

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When you batch them like that it will go a lot further. Especially if the bore mop fits right and doesn't get squeezed down so the DBC runs out the barrel.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect the Dyna folks suggest 5-6 bores as worst-case, say if you're treating only larger bores. It also works very well, for instance, on muzzleloaders. And some bores benefit from more than one application.

I mostly use it on smaller bores, especially varmint rifles that get shot a LOT, so one bottle tends to last quite a while. I must have already treated a dozen bores with my last one, and there's still enough left to treat several more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^ Exactly. There is always some loss due to DBC soaking into the bore mop, which dries out. If you're doing one barrel at a time, you have a bunch of liquid loss each time. If doing many barrels at a time, you only lose the excess once.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I found some OLD stuff when moving a fridge the other day.

I don't remember if Doug suggested that storage but I"ll bet this is almost 10 years old. In a bottle, and taped the lid seam shut with tight electrical tape.

I have NO clue if its usable anymore, but I know I lost a lot of money by buying a couple of bottles of the formulas of different kinds, and just wanting them for reserves and not putting in fridge since they had never been opened.....

From what I recall also, you can coat more than the bottle says, but as noted, can vary if its batched 22s or non batched 54 mz or 50 bmg barrels...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I didn't even think about bore size until after I had posted this, plus somehow I miscounted blush. I actually did four barrels, and they are 22, 26, 27 and 35 calibers. Also, I didn't use bore mops --- I used cotton patches to apply it sleep blush. So that pretty well explains how I used less than I had anticipated.

Thanks for helping me wake up...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is it best to store what I have left in the refrigerator?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the storage tip John.

I just coated a new rem takeoff in 7 rem mag. Rechambered it to 7/375 Ruger and shot one shot through it to smooth out the new throat. Bore scope verified it smoothed out but the bullet left the second half of the barrel almost entirely coated with copper. Cleaned it with bore tech eliminator with soaks over two days. Bore scope verified it was clean.

Applied bore coat in this barrel then shot 10 rounds two at a time with cooling inbetween. It was 100 plus degrees outside and that barrel got hot! Cleaned it and it only took four patches of bore tech! I am sold on the product!!!!!

It was your comment, John, on using it with pitted black powder rifles that stopped leading that made me give it a try. Now I wonder how many hours and patches I could have saved if I had only tried it when you first mentioned it.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And some bores benefit from more than one application.

MD, that is an interesting point. I have a 700 SPS barrel that fouled horribly. This is one of those rifles that I�ve had to do a lot of tweaking on but still like a lot. It has taught me much. Anyway, I applied DBC last fall and am in the process of trying to develop a new load. After about 20 rounds groups went from just over MOA to about 2.5. I gave the bore bore a quick wipe down and sure enough, there was heavy fouling near the muzzle but only in one spot (about inch long). I was wondering if I should clean again and try re-applying a second time.

Either there was a very rough spot in the barrel or possible it didn�t get complete coverage on initial application, but I sure feel like I drenched it good.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
How many rounds did you fire after installing DBC, and did you clean it thoroughly after firing those rounds?

John Steinbeck
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think 6 rounds then cleaned it with Wipe Out.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is there a difference between Dyna Bore Coat and Ultra Bore Coat?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, they are the same product .

Steve

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How many rounds did you fire after installing DBC, and did you clean it thoroughly after firing those rounds?

Seems to me things improve after a number of shooting/cleaning cycles.

My rough barrels don't foul as bad and my premium barrels don't copper foul much at all. And, that's after a number of shooting/cleaning cycles.

I was working with a 7RM #2 Brux this weekend. After a dozen or so rounds, one pass with Eliminator to clean out the powder residue, the borescope showed practically no copper fouling. About the same with a .22-204 Brux. My HVA 30-06 fouls just a little after a trip to the range and cleans up without a lot of work, easier than before DBC.

The Parker Hale project I mentioned on another thread, barrel pitted with throat erosion, treated with David Tubb Final Finish then DBC, doesn't foul nearly as bad as it did. It's still a 1.5" gun, but holds that level of performance a lot longer than before. Previously it fouled so bad and so fast that 2-3" groups were common after just a few rounds.

DBC won't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse, but it's a good product that works as advertised. I just got a second kit from Brownells. And, if you're careful, you can treat a lot more barrels than they say.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as storing it goes pack it in a vacuum sealed bag.

I've haven't used this method with DBC but I have used it, with complete success, with jig paint that evaporates over time. The bag might be smelly when you open it but the solvents in the bottle don't evaporate into thin air.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Trying hard to NOT sound like a borescope snob, BUT can one really answer that question without a look-see...??

DF

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Trying hard to NOT sound like a borescope snob, BUT can one really answer that question without a look-see...??

DF

I do not have one and understand why you are asking, but this thing fouls so the lands look like they are gold plated grin even after �polishing� with JB. UBC definitely helped but I just noticed last week it fouled severely but in a very isolated area. I looked after things noticable opened up after a couple groups.

I should just re-barrel the darn thing but It shoots fine for a hunting rifle when clean and I am frugal.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not sure I understand "in a very isolated area".

If the barrel wasn't cleaned down to bare steel, maybe the DBC didn't take in an area that wasn't completely clean. Just guessing... shocked

Did you try Wipe Out? That takes out heavy copper fouling about as easy and quick as anything I can think of. With my less than slick barrels, one or even two Wipe Out treatments will remove most if not all the copper. Do the Wipe Out trick and let it sit for a good while. I like to stuff a big patch in the chamber to keep Wipe Out from spewing into the action.

DF

Edited to say, Whoops... I re-read your post and you did use Wipe Out.

Letting it soak for several hours may help it work better. Generally, I don't like to scrub with JB, brushes, etc. after a DBC treatment. But, if you have one area that's fouling, you may have to take it back down to bare steel and re-treat. I don't know how that works; have never been there, done that. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/08/13.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess is the ne little area didn't get thoroughly clean or degreased.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 7 invisible), 1,357 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,524
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.