Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7865516 07/02/13
B
bkraft Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking for a do anything pump. Have considered 870s, 500s and the BPS, just recently the Model 37 has popped up on the radar. You guys that are shotgun gurus what are your experience with this gun?

Last edited by bkraft; 07/02/13.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a 1949 version of an Ithaca 37 in 20 guage. Bought it for cheap, refinished the stock, cleaned it down to component level with brake parts cleaner, don't think it had ever been cleaned in the previous 50 years. It points like a dream, nice, light, and trim.

Have killed several limits of doves with it as well as carrying year before last on Kansas opening day of pheasant season and shot the ones that got up in range.

Just last night used it on some pigeons that have been messing in my barn. It is a full choke, if it were a light modified I'd use it even more.

[Linked Image]

Last year bought its twin sister in 16 guage. It acts like it cycles fine, but after a shot the hull is hanging up and not wanting to eject. Haven't spent much time digging into what is the problem, but will before bird season starts.

I've used 870's in the past and still have one, but if I want a pump or nostalgia type of gun, I grab the Ithaca.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There isn't any better pump than a 37 in good shape, IMO. Lightest per guage of the all-steel pumps, easiest takedown.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm very familiar with the Winchester model 12, 1200, Remington model 870, and Mossberg 500. I recently got my son an Ithaca 37 Featherlight and was immediately impressed with how well it handled. It handles better than the other pump guns I've used. It doesn't have any "boat oar" feel to it at all.

B
bkraft Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Likin what I'm hearin guys keep it up an thanks.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ones that you mentioned are good serviceable guns.

After trying them all I like the Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge and a Winchester model 12 or Remington 31 TC in 12 gauge.

For long walks the 37 20 gauge carries like a broom stick and handles like a skeet gun at the shot.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I really like them. They resist freezing weather, handle well [for me], have lots of variety in barrels, stocks etc., have been super reliable and are easy to take down for cleaning and maintenance.

They are a bit of a nuisance for trap as they must be fed through the magazine.

With a few extra barrels they will do most any shotgun job.

I have 87's in magnum chambering's in both 12 & 20 gauge.

I have Deerslayer and vent rib barrels for both. With screw in chokes.

In 12ga there are also a rifled Deerslayer, a Turkeyslayer
and a smoothbore Deerslayer barrel.

There are two 20ga 37's around. One is a 23/4" with scope base, a 24" barrel and screw in chokes.

The last one is a 20 gauge Ultra featherweight 2 3/4". One VR MOD barrel and a smoothbore Deerslayer barrel that is choked IC.

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 07/03/13.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When growing up most of my family had Browning A5s while my brother and I had pump guns (all we could afford). I found out my Ithaca 37 was way more reliable in bad weather. Not to mention it was much lighter than even the Light 20s. I shoot the 37s better than any other shotgun I have tried.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
As the others have said the 37 is a fine shotgun.. I have owned several, and a 20 ga. was my first pump gun.. At present, I have several 870's in a variety of gauges, a Moss. 835, a Rem.31, a model 12,a 97,and a BPS in 10 ga. the others are 12's. The little 37 is one of my very favorites.. For upland shooting, maybe my very favorite.. As mentioned it is a pain for trap shooting, and if you ever have a jam, it is a bugger to clear.. But so far this 37 has given me no problems.. I don't shoot heavy loads in it.. 3 1/4 1 1/4 loads are about the heaviest I use.. Because it is full choke, I bought maybe half a case of spreader loads to try this fall.. To me all the pumps are neat, I enjoy each one.. With a requirements of nontoxic shot, and different hunting conditions if I make a long fall hunt, I usually take the old 870's with the choke system.. But for hunting near home, the old 37 is a real gem..

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are wonderful. (You are to be commended for spelling "Ithaca" correctly.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a steel frame Deerslayer with 20" smooth bore. Shoots Brenneke slugs real well and is a very fast handling gun. I still use in bad weather even though the state now allows rifled shotgun barrels. The slug barrels are bored full length to min slug specs and noted for top performance with slugs.

I also have what I believe dancing bear calls the ultra featherlight. That is an aluminum frame gun. I had the barrel cut to 21" and use an IC choke tube. In 12 ga, I believe my gun is 5.5 pounds and my friend has one in 20ga that is 5.0 pounds. Really sweet upland gun with field loads. The aluminum frame is not for magnums and not for slugs - not for heavy loads. If you feel the need for power, then stick with steel frame. Thats a nice gun too and would provide good service as a do everything gun.

One warning, both my M37 are 2 3/4 inch only. All I need, maybe not for you. Watch out if that matters.

If I had to do it over, or knew then what I know now, I would have got both in 20ga. Live and learn.

Ithaca really understood how a shotgun should handle.

Its a shame, Winchester never got a clue. With an aluminum frame and stronger rotary bolt, they could own the world, instead just built a lot of nothing. I guess a Winchester would qualify as a do anything compromise gun, just not the best at anything.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Have a 1949 version of an Ithaca 37 in 20 guage. Bought it for cheap, refinished the stock, cleaned it down to component level with brake parts cleaner, don't think it had ever been cleaned in the previous 50 years. It points like a dream, nice, light, and trim.

Have killed several limits of doves with it as well as carrying year before last on Kansas opening day of pheasant season and shot the ones that got up in range.

Just last night used it on some pigeons that have been messing in my barn. It is a full choke, if it were a light modified I'd use it even more.

[Linked Image]

Last year bought its twin sister in 16 guage. It acts like it cycles fine, but after a shot the hull is hanging up and not wanting to eject. Haven't spent much time digging into what is the problem, but will before bird season starts.

I've used 870's in the past and still have one, but if I want a pump or nostalgia type of gun, I grab the Ithaca.

My 1950s era M37 12 ga would function slickity snick with target loads but would hang up tight as Chinese finger cuffs with short mags. Turned out to be a roughly machined chamber. Polishing the chamber solved the problem. Seems to have happened with a few other older M37s too, if some posts on ShotgunWorld.com are to be counted.

I
I
Anyone know where to find a used model 37 near northbay ontario?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They are a great shotgun. The 2 3/4" 12 gauge is a great all-around upland gun.

If you ever want a sweetheart though, get a 20 gauge. They are just perfect.

The Ultrafeatherlight in 20 gauge is awesome as well, especially for kids.

21 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
They're light. The bigger you go in gauge the more recoil. That said, I love my 20 gauge ultrafeatherlight, but I would go with something else in 12 gauge, especially if you intend to shoot a lot at one time. And Im not particularly recoil shy.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by carbon12

My 1950s era M37 12 ga would function slickity snick with target loads but would hang up tight as Chinese finger cuffs with short mags. Turned out to be a roughly machined chamber. Polishing the chamber solved the problem. Seems to have happened with a few other older M37s too, if some posts on ShotgunWorld.com are to be counted.

Just saw your response to me, thanks. What did you use to polish the chamber? Admittedly, I haven't spent much time trying to decipher what is going on. Might have to pull it out of the safe in the morning. Only a month away from dove season.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by carbon12

Just saw your response to me, thanks. What did you use to polish the chamber? Admittedly, I haven't spent much time trying to decipher what is going on. Might have to pull it out of the safe in the morning. Only a month away from dove season.....

Just found this over on shotgunworld-sounds about identical to my issue-

I bought this old shotgun a few years ago, but whenever i took it out, it would jamb up & not extract. I suspected the extractors, & was starting to look for parts. But before i got too far, i checked out the chamber. It was dark colored from rust. It wasn't flaking, but you could see the dark brown rust coloring, instead of shiny steel.

So i thought i'd try removing that, first.. especially since the extractors felt like they were sharp & had plenty of bite.

This is an old gun.. 1943.. & i did not want to ruin it, but i want it to work. I used a wire cleaning brush.. nothing.. still rusty. Then i took some fine sandpaper & worked it.. that would take forever. I found a brake cylinder hone in my tool box, & it would fold & fit inside the chamber, so i thought i'd try it out, slowly.

I could easily turn it by hand, but that was taking too long for a power tool kind of guy. So i sprayed some wd40 inside the chamber, onto the stones on the hone. I put it in a cordless drill chuck & slowly rotated it, moving it up & down to get the whole chamber.

I didn't get it all, but there was at least mostly shiny metal now, with a little rust showing in spots. I wiped it out, lightly covered it with oil, & took it to the range.

It works! No jambs, no extractor problems. I filled the magazine & pumped 5 shots as fast as i could, & all ejected fine. I don't think i took enough off to expand the chamber too much, & i don't have a mic to measure it, but it is working, & that is good enough for me. A full shell does not feel loose, & i can stick a spent one in, now as well.

I know that extractor problems sometimes come up, but there are times when a round is sticking in the chamber, & it might just needs some polishing.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Is your hull failing to extract, or eject?
If you're getting complete extraction and failure to eject you may have an older gun with a 2 9/16" chamber.

I got my 1939 A5 dirt cheap because the gun show peddler I bought it from thought he had a jamm-o-matic.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd not mind a Featherweight 37 in 20ga with a vent rib. Be great for dove!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One thing to keep in mind with ga. A 12 CAN shoot 1 1/4 oz. loads very comfortably, BUT it can also shoot 7/8oz loads or 1 ozs. loads just as easily and probably more cheaply than you can buy for the 20.. plus the gun is a tad heavier so the recoil will be even less.. The only thing is the frame on the 20 is smaller..I think folks often forget the 12 has the most to offer of all our ga.s.. 20's are neat and fun, but don't sell the 12 short..especially on the recoil issue..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.