Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't think I have seen this question posted in here before so I was wondering what you do to get the blood and grime off them? Toss them in the washer or hand wash? Thanks

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hose, water, peroxide for the blood, a little dish soap and a brush to knock the bits off.

Last edited by tdbob; 07/07/13.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I find that stuff just wears off eventually. At some point a homeostatic level of dirt will exist.

Last edited by bloodworks; 07/07/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We just bought a new washer and dryer and it boasts a rack for steaming backpacks and shoes and other such things....

I hope to try it soon. Has anyone else seen this in there drier?

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Dump out the detritus and hose it off. Air dry in the sun. Anything else will eventually flake off. Actually I rarely even do that much . . .

It's a backpack not a wedding dress.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Car wash, inside and out each year at the end of the season. Advice given to me years ago by Mark Seacat from Mystery Ranch. The combination of mild soap and high pressure wash and rinse works very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My packs haven't gotten really dirty. I line them with skookum plastic bags to haul boned out meat. Put the empty bag inside the pack bag and place chunks of meat into it rather than load up a plastic bag and then try to get that into the pack. That's a recipe to tear or gouge a hole in the plastic liner bag, as is loading it while it sits on sticks and rocks on the ground or on a log.

I've had a plastic liner leak a couple of times and get blood on the bottom or a lower corner of the pack bag. Not too bad to wash out. Washing it right away avoids stink. Also, I often take off the bag and lash a plastic bag of meat to the empty frame. We rarely carry out bones in a quarter.

Working with teens years ago packs would come in grimy with soot and dirt and with jam or honey stuck inside. Soak in a tub with laundry soap and use a bristle brush was my solution. Cooking oil is also bad, as would be ground-in tallow.

Keeping it relatively clean is one of my (small) obsessions. grin Sit the pack on something rather than in mud, don't lean it on a tree with pitch on it, etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
Car wash, inside and out each year at the end of the season. Advice given to me years ago by Mark Seacat from Mystery Ranch. The combination of mild soap and high pressure wash and rinse works very well.

^^^^^
+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pressure washers work. A bathtub, brush, and some unscented laundry detergent works well too.

I once left a ziploc with some food trash inside a bag for a couple months by mistake. It was rank when I discovered it. Some odo-ban from wally world solved it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I don't think I have seen this question posted in here before so I was wondering what you do to get the blood and grime off them? Toss them in the washer or hand wash? Thanks
Clean???

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have washed a couple pack bags in the washer. I washed my CMBR Crew Cab "bag" in the washer and broke the washer. Rubbed a hole in the buckle, but the pack/buckle is still going strong...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dealing with blood is easy. Leave it open all winter and by spring, you won't know there's any blood on it. You probably shouldn't store it in your bedroom closet or under the bed, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Irving_D

Hike in the rain. Or fall in a creek.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 71 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,539
Posts18,509,990
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.