-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Enjoy all of ya'lls knowledge and recipes!
A different twist on the bacon wrapped backstrap that I do a lot is to take a half of a backstrap and cut an X down the center with a long fillet knife. I then stuff a length of smoked saussage in it. When done, cut in steaks. Will keep the steak juicy and add an extra flavor. I still wrap with the bacon also.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My favorite and simplest method....on an outdoor cooker, get a cast iron pan smoking hot. When the pan is up to temp, sprinkle coarse sea salt in the pan and drop the backstrap on top of the salt. It's gonna smoke, but sear the meat thoroughly, rolling to sear all sides. Remove from pan and rest 10 minutes. Slice into thin medallions and scoff it down. Keep it rare!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife would give me a kicking if I ever served meat done more than rare.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Well, I gave it a try.

Turns out that my memory failed me and what I thought was a chunk of backstrap was actually a package of backstrap steaks that had been stacked up and wrapped in the shape of a loaf of meat. I ended up skewering the pieces together and browning it in a hot skillet with some EVO. Then I seasoned it with some salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder, then wrapped it up in 3 layers of foil with some chopped onions and garlic and a bit of butter.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

While I was doing all of the above, I had a fire going with some small stuff to get a quick bed of coals so that it would be ready for the packet.
[Linked Image]

The finished product in all it's overcooked glory.
[Linked Image]

Aside from being a bit overdone, (I browned it for too long and left it on the coals for far too long blush frown ) it was actually very tasty. My son devoured a few pieces and loved it and even my wife ate and enjoyed some. That's the first time I've ever seen her eat venison.

About the only person who didn't like it was the one who I was certain would like it-my daughter. In the past she's eaten venison and loved it, but this time around she didn't care for it. I'm guessing that it was the onions.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions. I think the next attempt will be a bacon wrapped affair on the grill.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The folowingworks weelwith tender cuts.

Venison Parmesan
1 � lbs venison steak
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 c Italian bread crumbs
1/2 c parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1/4 c water
1/2 c flour
1/4 c olive oil
1 � c spaghetti sauce
6 slices mozzarella cheese

Cut meat into six pieces, pound with a meat mallet to tenderize if required.
Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. In another bowl, beat eggs with water. In another dish, mix flour with pepper and garlic salt.

Dredge both sides of meat into flour mixture, then into egg mixture and finally, press each side of meat into crumb mixture. Repeat until done, then place meat on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Heat oil in a large skillet; brown meat on both sides. Place in a greased 9x13 baking pan. Spoon 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce over each piece. Cover with mozzarella; top with remaining spaghetti sauce.

Bake, uncovered, 350�F for 30 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve over noodles.

Yield: 6 servings

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This will sound odd, but it's worth a try when cooking a chunk of backstrap.

Marinade the meat in plain old Coke (soda) overnight. When finished, pat the meat dry and cut a long pocket in the meat. Stuff the pocket with jalapeno slices, cream cheese or some other white cheese of your liking (Feta, Gouda, etc) and pitted dates. Once that's done, season the backstrap with whatever you like on your steaks. Then you can either wrap in bacon or toothpick the cut closed and grill until the backstrap is cooked medium rare or medium.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Well, I gave it a try.
[Linked Image]

The finished product in all it's overcooked glory.

Looks great, live and learn on the time and temps. I have, and I'm sure others here have too, ruined stuff far beyond what your results turned out to be. If all else fails, make tacos or burritos out of it!

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^ What he said. If you cook it too much past tender, chop it up, throw it in a skillet, add mexican ingredients, simmer, cook it some more until you've got burrito fixins.

I've done it.

If plan "A" doesn't work out go to plan "B".

Last edited by fish head; 07/16/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,125
Posts18,483,808
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.