Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Guys,
After the blade is up all the way, and my cheek bone is at rest on the butt stock the front sight is still too high. I haven't shot it yet, but I never seen an iron front sight this high. I put on a new style see through weaver rings and there's a notch at the base, so you can see the front sight and use the notch to sight? According to my research the rear sight is the correct one.

I know not what course others may take, but as for me give me liberty or give me death.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will never know till you hit the trigger. You can also swap the front post with one from Skinner. Order the .375" wide x.5" tall then you can file it down to the correct height for your load.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Skinnersights.com thanks.

I noticed the front sight has a gap between the sight itself and the base. Wonder if I take off some dove tail to bring it down it will cure the problem?

Last edited by pennsyhunter; 07/12/13.

I know not what course others may take, but as for me give me liberty or give me death.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pennsyhunter
Skinnersights.com thanks.

I noticed the front sight has a gap between the sight itself and the base. Wonder if I take off some dove tail to bring it down it will cure the problem?

Don't monkey with anything until you shoot the danged thing. Improper eye alignment with the sights doesn't tell you a thing except the stock doesn't fit you right for iron sight shooting. The sights may be right where they need to be and you may need a higher comb. They make those leather pads that fit on stocks. That might work.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
the top of the bead on the front sight should sit level with the top of the V notch... it doesn't, it's higher. I know it's gonna shoot too high, but we'll see.

Moose...a higher comb would make it worse... think about it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Alright then you need a lower comb. But you still have to shoot the gun first. The iron sights might shoot right on regardless of how your eye initially ligns up with them. You just have to move your face farther down on the stock to get the eye/sight alignment you need.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
lower comb....yeah ok. LOL

Thanks for your input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lower comb....yeah ok. LOL

Thanks for your input.

I wasn't being funny. If you have a Monte Carlo stock you can sand the MC off and create a better alignment with your iron sights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course the intelligent thing to do is throw those see-through mounts in the trash and get a good scope and mount it low.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I don't have a MC stock and iron sights work better in dense brush...

Last edited by pennsyhunter; 07/13/13.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd scope it so it fits well with the scope and forget about the iron sights.

Like this .....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

..... and then get one like this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not have both?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is a 10 shot group at 100 with the scope removed and replaced between each shot. Orange dot is 1". But for the most part the scope stays in the pack unless I set up in a area that would give me 150 yard or farther shots.
[Linked Image]

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
gonna get a Lyman fold down like the one that's on the rifle now... they have different sights with higher elavations.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/folding-leaf-sight.php

No. 16 Folding Leaf Sight

16A, .400 high, elevates to .500

16B, .345 high, elevates to .445

16C, .500 high, elevates to .600

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
interesting.... but you have a pistol scope there I see. I like the way you utilize the holes in the receiver to accomodate both scope and peep sight....nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's actually not a pistol scope. 1.75-6 Leupy. On the top end you have to crawl the stock a bit. But as long as you stay @5x or lower there are no issues with eye relief. But like I said, the scope is never on there unless on a cut where shots are longer and more relaxed.
I have not tried standard open sights sense my LASIK surgery last week. Before the surgery standard irons never worked well so I have been running the peep / post set up. Even set up a good practice rifle the same.
[Linked Image]
I do like that rear fold down leaf that you posted. I have 1 rifle with standard irons that I give another try. If they work well now I'm thinking that would be a nice addition to my Mountian rifle in case of scope failure

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a MC stock and iron sights work better in dense brush...

That's a matter of opinion. I don't share that opinion. Three power on a 3-9X scope works better for me in dense brush. Even 4X is preferable to iron sights. I've shot a good bit of game in light that was too dim to see irons.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
well under a hundred yards or even less than 50, at running deer they work fine for me, to each thier own.

Trying to find a running deer with a 33 mm objective bell or even a 42 is difficult, and I lost the oppritunnity because of it. Don't tell me,... buy a 50 right? You buyin?

Last edited by pennsyhunter; 07/17/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well under a hundred yards or even less than 50, at running deer they work fine for me, to each thier own.

Trying to find a running deer with a 33 mm objective bell or even a 42 is difficult, and I lost the oppritunnity because of it. Don't tell me,... buy a 50 right? You buyin?

The front bell of a scope has nothing to do with field of view. The rear bell controls that. The front bell controls how much light your scope gathers. And with a little practice it is easy to find a running deer in a 4X32 at 50 yards.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Good hunting this year Mike.

Last edited by pennsyhunter; 07/17/13.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.