O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fifth ,

Here's an article that helped me.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/scope-mounting-1.php

--------------------------------------------------------------

This article has been modified since I last read it.
There wasn't a scope mount set up kit for sale back then.

I use one of the little bubble levels that mounts to the rifle base.
My base is weaver/picatinny type and levels can be bought that mount and stay on the rifle.
These are long range set ups.

Anyway if you can get creative and -tape -glue or wire a little bubble level on top of some place on the rifle that you trust "enough" as being level you can use that system.

I'll pretend you have a level somehow mounted -now mount the scope as best you can -zero it [shooting] at 100 yards in good conditions.
Now put a big new target up -use a level to make sure the target is level [target itself not canted] shoot two shots at the center OK you hit the center.
Turn scope elevation dial all the way UP shoot two more shots if bullets hit at 1 oclock -off to right of line on leveled target -fine.

Now turn scope elevation dial all the way DOWN -shoot two shots now shots hit at 7 oclock .

Mark you scope tube and ring with something that won't hurt it -I use a yellow paint stick marker I got at home depot.

Loosen your scope enough to turn it a small amount -turn your scope counter clockwise a small amount .

Tighten the scope down looking closely at mark you made on the top ring and scope tube.

Shoot gun two shots low and two shots high until shots stay on lines.
Make sure you are keeping the rifle level when making your two shots .

When high and low shots are on the line your crosshair is perpendicular with the center of the bore.

This takes a bit of work but when finished it makes it worth it to me.

I didn't reread the article -but it use to explain that barrels "throw" shots -you could put the most accurate lazer aimed down the center of the barrel perfectly --a bullet would in theory hit the same spot -Darrel Holland says it probably wouldn't.
The torgue and other stuff involved don't work out that way.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I have the pictured Wheeler and it's worked great for me. I always put the gun in a vice and adjust until the mounts are level, then level the scope off the elev turret.

Yep, same here. I also back up and "eyeball" it to make sure it looks right (crosshairs dissecting the center of the bore). And then as JB mentioned, tighten one ring very slowly, alternating side to side, to keep it level.

I am about to start shooting targets at some longer ranges with my latest rifle. We'll see how well I mounted the scope shortly ...

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have the old Segway and the parabola. Use both of them together and works like a charm. I tighten alternating screws on one ring checking for scope movement after every half turn of the screw. If all is square then tighten the second ring the same way. Next I check it with my bore sight tool to set the crosshairs to center and then make the finial adjustments at the range shooting vertical strings. takes a lot of time but when you are done you know it is right.

Last edited by Grizz700; 07/14/13.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by AMRA
I have tried all the different ways to mount a scope myself
and can NEVER!!!!!!!!!
GET IT RIGHT!!!!!
I have to take mine to a Local Custom Gunsmith who is the biggest
jerk I have ever met.
But he can mount a scope that is Laser perfect every time.
Why is it that A##HOLES turn out to be Einstein`s ?
AMRA

Did you try the Parabola tool (you allude to having tried them all)? Hard to imagine this tool not working well for anybody...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No the Parabola tool is new to me but I have give on doing it
myself.TOO many screw ups on my part!

Molan Labe
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are using a one piece base, you don't need all of this stuff. The best method I've found is using a set of feeler gauges.

Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slowr1der
If you are using a one piece base, you don't need all of this stuff. The best method I've found is using a set of feeler gauges.

Pics? Where and why are you using feeler gauges? To hold a level on top of the base? These are questions......

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by GF1
I use one of these:

http://parabola-llc.com/product-info/

Far better than the bubble leveling devices, such as the one pictured. Built by our "Hi Vel" here (aka, Jerry Schmidt).

These are pricey yet a bargain. With the bubble devices, there is a lot of slop potential as you highlight above...where is the level spot on a rifle?

I ordered one of these last week, and received it today. The quality seems to be superb. I'll try it out tomorrow after work and post up with my thoughts. I have a few rifles that I feel I've never to get the reticles quite perfect, even with the wheeler level level level tool. I hope this is what I've been needing!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Fifth
Originally Posted by slowr1der

Pics? Where and why are you using feeler gauges? To hold a level on top of the base? These are questions......
I've never taken any pictures, but Lowlight from SH uses this method and you can see him using it in this video to mount this Nightforce. If you skip to 2:40, he is inserting the feeler gauges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM_eHOtEUPA#at=162

With this method you don't need any levels. I've also heard of guys on SH using playing cards, but I've never personally done that. The idea is you put the feeler gauges between the scope base and the flat part on the bottom of the turret housing. This levels the scope with the base. This seems to be the preferred method of many on Snipers Hide and you can find a ton of information about it on there. It's the best method I've ever used, and much better than any of these "tools" that claim to help you level it.

Basically what I do is stack the feeler gauges so it's a firm fit, tighten the scope down, and pull the feeler gauges out. It's simple, cheap, and flat out works. One word of advice though, if you put a little oil or lube on the feeler gauges they will be easier to slide out after you get the scope tight. This only works with a one piece base though, so on rifles that I'm using 2 piece bases on (which is rare), I still use levels to level the rifle and then use something plumb or a plumb line to level the reticle. While you can usually get it very good this way and plenty good enough for hunters, I've found it to be extremely tedious and hard to get it exact. I much prefer getting a 1 piece base and using the feeler gauges.

Last edited by slowr1der; 07/22/13.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I still think trial and error by using your eyeball is the only thing that works for me. If you pull the bolt, then step back a bit and see if the verticle line intersects the center of the tang and bore. If you leave the bolt in, then the bolt handle hanging down at an angle plays tricks on your eyes so you need to pull it out.

Then test it at the range on a target that is leveled.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 3,377 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,740
Posts18,535,381
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.