Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have an older IDC 580 weedeater (made by Ryobi), which runs great when it runs. But sometimes when you go hit the throttle, it just dies like you've shut it off. If you let go of the throttle fast enough, it'll catch and keep idling. If it does die, I prime it and it can run full throttle for about 6 seconds and then it'll die. There seems to be fuel in the lines and the priming bulb. The fuel lines were replaced last year or the year before. I've cleaned the carb and all seems fine, as do the gaskets. Is it somehow not pumping fuel to itself?

This thing is driving me NUTS!!!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The carb has something in it that's keeping the vacuum from pulling gas into the engine.

Have you replaced the stone filter in the tank?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a chinee Homelite weedeater that's been a royal pain in the butt too. I've had similar problems and it's the elcheapo carb that's the culprit.

My weedeater, and my neighbor's weedeater (different brand/model), both had the small brass threaded screws/plugs loosen up and cause it to run lean. They're screws/plugs that access passages/jets, they have a splined end (no screwdriver slot) and require a special tool to tighten.

I managed to tighten them up with some forceps and that cured the problems I had which were very similar to what you're describing. The easy fix is to just replace to carb.

The symptom of a lean mixture was that it would run so-so if the choke was left partially on. One thing on mine that helps is to turn the idle up high too. It won't bog as easily when you hit the throttle.

Hope this helps and good luck.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Unless you know it's a fuel problem change the plug if you haven't.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My weedeater was doing that also and I took it to a trusted mechanic and he said that the carb was plugged up by the crap in the gas and could not be taken apart to repair & put a new carb on and it runs like new.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Spark plug is clear. Like I said, when it runs, it runs like a demon. Idles well, only time it will die is sometimes when the throttle is opened. Doesn't matter if it's opened fast or slow, it will die out.

I'll try a new gasket set and new hoses. The filter was also replaced last year or year before that.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I was just recently working with a Ryobi that was given to me. Right off I'm not sure of the model. Wouldn't start. Good spark with a new spark plug and compression felt good. Took the carb apart and found that the small screen filter inside was completely blocked. I couldn't clear the orfices under the Hi/Lo screws until I broke off the plastic stops. Made sure all orfices were open. All internal parts looked good. Put it all back together and bingo.
One thing I've done for yrs when filling any of my gas powered equipment is to pour through paint filters in my funnel. You'd be surprised at what you see.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When you get it runnung, put some Sea Foam in a spray bottle and spray it into the air intake after removing the air filter. Don't kill the engine but do it numerous times in short bursts. It will clean out the varnish in the carb but not the sediment.
If you can get non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel use it for all your small engines. Since I switched to non-oxygenated fuel with a little Sea Foam mixed in the fuel, my small engines are easy to start and run much better.
In 2 strokes I use Amsoil Sabre Professional 2 stroke oil. Much less smoke (ice auger), plugs don't foul as bad and no engine (rings, pistons, etc.) problems after long term use so it must be adequately lubricating the cylinder. I don't have the faith to run it at 100:1 like Amsoil recommends but so far (15 years on some engines)no long term wear at 50:1.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This might be a good candidate for some Seafoam or something similar. These tiny little engines have microscopic ports and it don't take much gunk to screw up the works. Today's gas doesn't help matters. If you can get gas without ethanol in it, I'd run that as well.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
just for schits and giggles....there may be a really small vent hole in the gas cap. If it's clogged it will run like crap. Just found this out after b'sing with the small engine guy at the local shop when I went to get a fuel filter for my rider. I went home and could barely tell it was there. Took the smallest drill bit I had, cleaned it out and it runs like a champ.

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobmn
If you can get non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel use it for all your small engines. Since I switched to non-oxygenated fuel with a little Sea Foam mixed in the fuel, my small engines are easy to start and run much better.

This. http://www.fuel-testers.com/find_ethanol_free_gasoline.html

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check the coil....you could be getting inconsistent fire.

Then throw it away, go get yourself a Stihl, use only non ethanol marine gas, and be happy.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
for around 2 bills you can get a straight shaft husky that will run like a champ for years with no problems. starts with a couple cranks even after sitting all winter and cuts and feeds string great. i went through 3-4 ryobi, mccullough, etc cheapos before i got the husky.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by grouseman
I have an older IDC 580 weedeater (made by Ryobi), which runs great when it runs. But sometimes when you go hit the throttle, it just dies like you've shut it off. If you let go of the throttle fast enough, it'll catch and keep idling. If it does die, I prime it and it can run full throttle for about 6 seconds and then it'll die. There seems to be fuel in the lines and the priming bulb. The fuel lines were replaced last year or the year before. I've cleaned the carb and all seems fine, as do the gaskets. Is it somehow not pumping fuel to itself?

This thing is driving me NUTS!!!

Understand how you feel. My Poulan weedeater gets a new spark plug EVERY spring. After that it runs till about mid-summer
and then starts giving me trouble. After that I throw it into the back of the garage and forget about it till next year.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not ignition related.

I'll check the cap vent tonight. But it should be good because there's always a little gas weeping out from vibration when it's running.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing to check is see if there's a vacuum leak/air entering the carb. Start it and spray the outside of the carb with carb cleaner to see if affects the idle.

Be careful with flammable spray and the exhaust. Don't blow yourself up. It you do, don't blame me. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sometimes runs and sometimes dies?

Sounds like a Trayvon...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
See if there is any crankshaft play or a mist of fuel/oil around the crank seals. Sounds like it is blowing fuel past the seals when you give it throttle. New crank bearings and seals.....Sounds like the carb is working as it should , except 2 strokes pressurize the crankcase. Have a leaky seal, and it acts like it is starving for fuel - which it is!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
#1 You've probably got a bad ground. (I know it doesn't fit here, but it is such a wonderful line to throw out whenever wiring comes up that I just couldn't resist throwing it in here as well.)

#2 As I have pointed out before, small two-stroke engines were invented by the devil as a torment of hell. When the patent ran out, God introduced them here on Earth to give people a sample of what hell would be like if they didn't change their ways.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take it out and set it by the curb. Someone will solve your problem. Go down to the hardware store and get a new one, put gas/oil in it and eat weeds.

I've got two right now. A Ryobi 4 stroke and a Homelite two stroke. I run a curved shaft weedeater on the Homelite and the blower, tiller, pole saw off the Ryobi. When they cough, sputter or lock up they'll go in the trash and I'll get another one. Life is too short to do small engine repair.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.