W
Anyone do shrimp on a grill?
How do you like to do it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marinated with a little bit of oil, butter, garlic powder, salt, white pepper, and skewered on bamboo sticks.

Mmmmmm good. smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Add some garlic powder and tabasco to thick teriyaki sauce, baste them on skewers on the grill.Easy and really good!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drunken Grilled Shrimp!

Get the giant ones and marinade in tequila, Tony's (or your favorite spice/rub) and olive oil. If you can find them use sugar cane sticks as skewers. You can also mix in tropical fruit or sweet onions on the skewer....i.e., pineapple or mango.

Place on a very hot grill and do NOT over cook.

Lime wedges on the side with a little mango, cilantro, red onion salsa.

I do this all the time for the vegetarians sisters and they love 'em.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lime juice, cilantro, jalepenos, little garlic, salt and a blender. Coat shrimp, skewer, and grill. Mmmmmmmm

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salt, wrap a half piece of bacon around each shrimp, put em' on a skewer, and grill em'. Flip em' when ready and grill the other side. Then 'chomp'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I brush lightly with oil, and grill. No marinade, no rub, no spices, no booze. Nothing.

Fresh shrimp don't need anything on them when you grill them. After, fix 'em anyway you like, but for the cooking, they don't need stuff on them.

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like grilling larger shrimp. I take a cup of olive oil with old bay seasoning in it. Dunk the shrimp and throw on the grill. Cook till done. Same with scallops.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Olive oil and Old Bay. As Mannlicher said, you can add the rub before or after. I've done it both ways, just depends on my mood.

Also, it can be easy to over cook shrimp on the grill. It only takes a few minutes.

Last edited by 2Bimmers; 07/08/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have done this a half dozen times in the last two months and nearly make myself sick eating them.

Jumbo shrimp, half slice of thick cut bacon, wrap shrimp with bacon.

Put in skewer baskets and alternate with pineapple chunks.

Mix juice half and half with bbq sauce.

Continuously baste bacon wrapped shrimp and pineapple with the mix of pineapple juice and bbq sauce.

You purists will yell that the bacon and pineapple covers up the flavor of the shrimp. I don't care.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Think I have done just about every one of the above suggestions a time or three. Will add that fresh rosemary sprigs make good skewers. Also, a cream, cilantro, and bacon sauce is damn good too. smile

Only way to ruin shrimp is to overcook it. mad

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with Sam on this one to a certain extent. Here in the fly over states like Nebraska we are a helluva long way from the Gulf and rarely have a chance at fresh Gulf shrimp, which are some of the finest in the world IMO.

More often than not we end up with the frozen stuff that is sub-standard at best and it needs a marinade to help it out, because without it, it has no flavor. It's easy to cross the line and make the flavorless ones taste like anything you want them to. With those I like a little lime juice with a dusting of Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to say bowhunr is right on this. I am a four hour round trip from fresh gulf shrimp but I have to make the trip to get them. I don't trust the road side dealers and yes I know how to tell a fresh shrimp from one not so fresh. Of course we are talking wild caught shrimp here. IN the frozen variety most likely they will be farmed shrimp and unless you add something flavor wise to them farmed shrimp are like eating rubber bands, about the same flavor too.

Quando Omni Moritati
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
How does the price compare, fresh, as frozen when you can get either?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm gonna fix the rest of you who, like me, are too far away from the gulf.

www.billys-seafood.com

Along with your gulf shrimp, do yourself a favor and get a couple pounds of royal reds. They are like little langostino lobster morsels from heaven!

If you like to get fish, get a couple pounds of amberjack. It makes walleye taste like Long John Silvers.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I vary the way I do mine. Sometimes I marinate with a Caribbean jerk mix. Other times I lightly coat with peanut oil or olive oil (depending on the mood I am in) and lightly season it with pepper, sea salt, or one of the many spice mixes I have.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
How does the price compare, fresh, as frozen when you can get either?

If you are addressing me sorry I missed your question. Fresh are about a buck per pound more costly. Because you have to take pains to keep them fresh and iced and they don't last long really fresh. Frozen you just take the run.
I am speaking of bay shrimp. Deep water shrimp are all frozen unless you know where the boats are and can find them working. This is speaking only of Texas shrimp which is all I know for sure about.

Quando Omni Moritati
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For large shrimp - Peel them down to the section above the tail. Butterfly length wise and marinate in Viva Italian for at least 20 min. up to 12 hrs.. Grill on high. As good as any scampi.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mine turned out great left the bone in stuffed garlic throughout the roast.; Smeared mustard allover it rubbed sweet & smoky rub on it,sliced pin.eapple & a pound of bacon on each side. Tied it all up & put it on the rotisserie with charcoalandoak chunks .cooked for 4hrs. 155 degrees turned out perfect.

Last edited by bigbrie; 07/15/13.

I don't feed em I eat em

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,273
Posts18,486,635
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.