Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think Zimmerman was using a KelTec 9mm PF-9 but haven't heard anything about the ammo that was in the gun. I've been away for about a week and not up to date on that info.

Did that come up at the trial?

What was it loaded with ?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Doesn't really matter. At contact, the expanding muzzle gases by themselves will do a tremendous amount of damage.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
God only knows, I hope it was not reloads!

NRA Life Member
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm guessing a hollowpoint given how much it turned in the torso. I don't believe the ammunition came up during the trial, but the type of handgun did - pistol versus revolver. The prosecutor made a very lame attempt to convince the jury that carrying a pistol was indicative of a Cop wannabe mindset.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It clearly over-penetrated....no doubt

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Found the answer and the link to the forensic lab report

115g JHP S&B

http://lawofselfdefense.com/flde-forensic-report-zimmermans-gun-fatal-bullet/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
thanks for sharing that link. Great information.

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for that link! I was checking out Massad Ayoob's blog yesterday. He indicated he was involved at one point with the case and has remained silent up until now because of that, but will be writing it up soon. I thought I was going to have to wait until then to find out about the gun & ammo used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redhill
I think Zimmerman was using a KelTec 9mm PF-9 but haven't heard anything about the ammo that was in the gun. I've been away for about a week and not up to date on that info.

I would not have thought a 9mm would have done that much dammage

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by temmi

Snake

Yea the forum experts convinced me that it won't kill unless it begins with a "4".

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a hell of a lot of people taking dirtnaps from 9mm's.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla

Snake

Yea the forum experts convinced me that it won't kill unless it begins with a "4".

That is BS. The larger calibers do offer a bit of an advantage but no has ever declared the 9's ineffective. The advantages of the larger calibers is not a day light to dark difference

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am going to buy a case of this stuff

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dla

Snake

I would take a 9mm over a .40 any day of the week. I am, however, a .45 fan at heart

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Ammo

The ammo used was 115 grain JHP 9mm (of course) from Sellier & Bellot. When recovered the pistol had a round in the chamber and 6 round in the magazine. This is consistent with the gun having been loaded to it�s 7+1 capacity at the time the fatal shot was fired.

A brass cartridge case was also recovered at the scene, presumably from the round fired.

The terminal ballistics of the bullet in this instance were outstanding, with the jacket separating from the lead bullet core in three segments (15.2 grains, 3.8 grains, and 1.8 grains, respectively), and the lead bullet core itself (94.2 grains). Combined, all fragments totaled 115 grains

bullet failure to boot!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At very close range, the 9mm can be quite effective. In 2011 I used one on the opening day of deer season to finish off a buck I had wounded with a 12 ga. sabot. It was the only critter I ever shot with a 9mm, (so far). Worked so well that I'm gonna use it again if that situation occurs again. It's a heckuva lot cheaper and neater than having to finish a deer off with another 12 ga. sabot from two feet away.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (2ndwind, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 17 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.