Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If there's snow, cheap plastic sleds work wonders. Especially once you get to a trail. I've used them to drag quarters a long way after packing to a trail or gated road. mtmuley

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last years bull, Shot it at about 0930, had quarters hanging by 1030, with pack frames and a sled my wife and I got the last quarter to the truck about 6 p.m. After all that work, meat was all bad...full of infection from puncture wounds all over him that had healed over. He had his butt kicked by a bigger bull during rut, infection and puss in every quarter. Took to DOW to confirm it wasn't CWD, but was deemed inedible and had to be thrown away. Hoping to just find a cow this year!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have the same concerns early archery season. Some years the yellow jackets can be horrible when game is downed. I carry a couple cans of Pam spray and a few large containers of black pepper from Costco in either on me or in camp if not far away

I get the hide off ASAP and spray meat and sprinkle on black pepper. Helps keep them away from meat.

Originally Posted by B_Lance
Longest was 4 miles back to camp. Some of my worst were much shorter but straight up hill. I'm a fairly big guy and can pack meat with the best but my one buddy Kirk is a beast. We packed an Az bull out of a nasty hole and weighed the packs at the butcher shop- his was 142#- he had me by 5# and I outweigh him by 40#.

I had a scary one in Co. I ended up hunting solo while waiting to meet some buddies and shot a bull down in a nasty hole W of Durango. I left the bull to go get my frame and when I came back to bone him out he was covered in yellow jackets. I'm allergic to these and always have Benedryl in my pack- my other pack that is.

Got stung 4 times on my left hand and the swelling was moving up my arm- I was getting nervous. An hour boning and 1 1/2 hour up the hill to the truck and benedryl- took a break and the swelling went down and packed 2 more loads in the rain- early archery- and done at dark. I try to always have an Epi pen or benedryl now, JIC.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
About 3 miles by myself, but it was 30 years ago when I looked like this. No way now.

[Linked Image]

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mav, is that you......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by baltz526
We had 2 big bulls down in 2 days. Me and my stepson with a hernia. He could do under 30lb. Thankfully it was cold with snow on the ground. His bull took 7 trips, large Roosevelt herd bull, Mine was a raghorn 3x4 for 5 trips. The real problem, his was about 1.2 miles from camp, due south. Mine was 1 mile west of his and about 1 mile from camp. Made for 3 very long days of packing meat, after I had skinned/quartered both. I would do it again, gladly.

2 bull elk in 2 days is a lot of work. Your area of Lapine is sure some pretty country.

Thank God Most of my pack outs have been less than a mile and one per season.
We did a spike opening day also that season. . It was 3/4 mile from camp. But the guy who shot it did half the packing. I had to give a skinning/gutting/quartering lesson on that one.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boned out only. No sense in packing non-edibles except for antlers.

12 miles for elk, one way with three men packing. He should never have shot it. We camped by it and ate as much as possible in a couple of days and packed out the rest, along with a ram. Brutal.

Have been in on elk and mule deer up to 23 miles with a horse.

7 1/2 miles for deer several times, solo and with two men to pack. It's a good spot! laugh

Goat, solo four miles for the first trip, help on the second, super brutal.

Moose, caribou: quarter mile.

Huge black bear: 9 1/2 miles but three of us to pack.

Packing meat is hard work but very satisfying. crazy

Last edited by Okanagan; 07/15/13.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
how much do those cost?

Alpaca wool is very nice, and soft.

Joe

Eradicate violence; kill all the violent people you know.
We hauled my brother's elk out like this last year:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fousek
how much do those cost?

Alpaca wool is very nice, and soft.

Joe
Around here, there are surplus llamas. I wouldn't pay over $100 for one and my best one was free. Alpaca's are useless for packing anything bigger than your lunch. They're way too small.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most painful pack out I've ever done was a mule deer on a pole between two of us. Never again for me! How did you keep the carcass from swinging and causing the pole to chew on your shoulder? If I ever carried an animal that way again I'd tie the pole as close to the body as possible rather than let it hang down.

Great photo BTW!

Noticed that you are new here. Welcome! It's a good place here and anyone who packs an elk out will fit right in, however you do it!

Last edited by Okanagan; 07/16/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bradley_young

[Linked Image]

excellent first picture post. Bravo!

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

[Linked Image]

How big was that elk, and how far did you carry it? Just curious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
How far have you had to pack out meat on your back? Boned out or quarters? Any stories welcome.

Worst was when my hunting buddy and I killed three elk three miles as the crow flies from the truck. Including what we packed out the first day (straps and filets), it took us three additional days to pack the meat out on our backs, even with the bones out. Thankfully we got it hanging in the shade and the temps were our friends.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe this guy's on to something:

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you mean with the Cabela's pack frame?

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
2 1/2 miles, 1/2 Boned out each trip. The worst part was that it was in the breaks, shortly after a rain storm. Mud builds up quick; that wore me out worse than the load!

Dale

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Longest pack ever, was for two Caribou in Alaska. GPS showed 5 miles. Started at dawn and finished after dark. Took 2 1/2 days. Longest elk by myself was three miles he was laying at 9800, the rig was at 7800. Took all of three days. My last elk in Idaho, 2007.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elkmen
Longest pack ever, was for two Caribou in Alaska. GPS showed 5 miles. Started at dawn and finished after dark. Took 2 1/2 days. Longest elk by myself was three miles he was laying at 9800, the rig was at 7800. Took all of three days. My last elk in Idaho, 2007.
Kind of reminds me about an article I read about 2 eastern greenhorns who went moose hunting in AK. Neither had every shot anything bigger than a whitetail and had no concept of how big an AK moose really is. They had a plane drop them in the middle of somewhere. Opening day, one of them hiked 5 miles from camp and shot a huge bull. They spent their entire hunting week packing it back to camp. In the process, they saw several even larger bulls within a mile of their camp.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

[Linked Image]

A buddy and I carried a deer out on a pole one time. Never again. Worst idea ever...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.