Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
About 20 to 21 months ago, Shortactionsmoker, (my son) came came in and told me he had ordered something for me. Said I would like it but it would be a while before it came in. It came in today

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was worth the wait. A Cooper M54 Excaliber stainless in my favorite caliber; 7mm-08. I am ecstatic. Thanks D.

Last edited by lastround; 07/17/13.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Outstanding.

If I were in the market for another 7mm-08, that would be the rifle I would own.

Mighty-fine.

Kudos to you, and to a son who would do that for his dad. His stock just went up in my book.

Be waiting to see some pix of that rifle and quarry during the coming seasons.

Best

GWB

PS: And a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by geedubya; 07/16/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks GW,

Something I failed to mention, it was ordered with a custom serial number - my initials and my birth date. So it is happy birthday too. Man, I am proud and can't wait to shoot it. I mounted a VX3 2.5-8 in Talley LW low rings, and am in the process of measuring the chamber with several bullets. Then I'll go to the range.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congratulations Lastround on the fine rifle but more importantly on the fine son.

Randy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by lastround
Thanks GW,

Something I failed to mention, it was ordered with a custom serial number - my initials and my birth date. So it is happy birthday too. Man, I am proud and can't wait to shoot it. I mounted a VX3 2.5-8 in Talley LW low rings, and am in the process of measuring the chamber with several bullets. Then I'll go to the range.

Well happy birthday also. The special serial number even makes it more unique.

Don't mean to preach, but the 7mm-08 with 140 gr. Accubonds over 43 gr. W-748 is my go to load. You can go faster, but then you could also have bought a 7mag if you wanted velocity.

Best

GWB

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._7_08_140gr_Accubond_Powder_#Post7879622

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Thanks GW,

Well happy birthday also. The special serial number even makes it more unique.

Don't mean to preach, but the 7mm-08 with 140 gr. Accubonds over 43 gr. W-748 is my go to load. You can go faster, but then you could also have bought a 7mag if you wanted velocity.

Best

GWB

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._7_08_140gr_Accubond_Powder_#Post7879622

You need to stop that silly schitt right here and right now .... (making sense). wink

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rta48
Congratulations Lastround on the fine rifle but more importantly on the fine son.

Randy

I couldn't ask for any better on both items you referenced.

Last edited by lastround; 07/16/13.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That guy Darrik is alright!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GWB,
That ought to be a good elk load. Thanks.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the look of that rifle and know it will drive tacks. Congrats on a great rifle and even better son.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all. I'm like a kid in a candy store right now. I'll let you know how she shoots. Gonna run a couple of patches down the barrel and start wearing it in.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't burn the barrel up before I get to shoot it.....

Or heck, burn it up. Cooper will rebarrel for free if it's shot out.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sharp looking rifle. I have it's brother in a blued receiver. The test target with mine used 130 SMK and IMR 4064? I tried Varget, H414 with 140 Nosler BT and factory 140 Federal Fusion ammunition and none have produced decent groups yet? I have moved on to 120 BT with Varget. Still waiting for the summer heat to die down some to test these. I also have some Barnes TTSX with H414 that I am going to try. I believe Barnes makes a 130 TTSX? If so it might prove to be decent. This rifle has been difficult to find a load at least in the 140 weight does not seem to shoot well at all. H414 produced slightly better groups. Good luck.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks to all. I'm like a kid in a candy store right now. I'll let you know how she shoots. Gonna run a couple of patches down the barrel and start wearing it in.

Just fer [bleep] n giggles.
My barrel break in on all rifles is 50 to say 200 strokes with a coated/graphite rod tipped with a bronze bore brush that has been dipped in a JB bore paste/kroil mix. I'll do 50 strokes or so, put on a new brush and do another 50 or so. I clean the residue off the rod when I change brushes. I then put on a jag and use dry patches till the patches are relatively clean. Then finish up with Butch' bore shine or kroil till patches are clean. I then run a patch with Kroil throuh the bore.
Thats my barrel break in.

Best

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That is about as good as it gets.

Great rifle in a super caliber.

Love the stock color too. Congrats!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Esox357
Sharp looking rifle. I have it's brother in a blued receiver. The test target with mine used 130 SMK and IMR 4064? I tried Varget, H414 with 140 Nosler BT and factory 140 Federal Fusion ammunition and none have produced decent groups yet? I have moved on to 120 BT with Varget. Still waiting for the summer heat to die down some to test these. I also have some Barnes TTSX with H414 that I am going to try. I believe Barnes makes a 130 TTSX? If so it might prove to be decent. This rifle has been difficult to find a load at least in the 140 weight does not seem to shoot well at all. H414 produced slightly better groups. Good luck.

Odd. The last Cooper 7-08 Excalibur I owned shot like this..

[Linked Image]

Not every time, but it was repeatable....with several bullets.

If I know dad, he's already measured OAL with every bullet on the shelf and he's loaded several "test" rounds in accordance. I'm bettin' it will be on paper before dark. I may even get to sling a few.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Damn shame dad ain't like you. I'd be buying that in the classifieds before week's end...........

Nice rifle and enjoy it dad.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That brought a chuckle. Fair shot....as I resemble that remark.

Let me know when you want to do some safe shopping.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Or heck, burn it up. Cooper will rebarrel for free if it's shot out.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because I wondered if that was still policy at Cooper under the new ownership.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got the barrel clean and went to the range with a try load of Big Game powder, Nosler 120 gr. Ballistic Tips, and WLR primers. Got on paper and.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am very happy with those groups. I won't tell you who shot which group, but Shortactionsmoker can see better than I can. I think with a little load work-up, I'm gonna have a shooter.

Doug
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 47 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.