Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Darrel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Just saw an article on FOX News about the government's ability to track anyone by using license plates now. It seems that they have the ability to know where you are, where you were, and when without your permission as there are virtually NO laws pertaining to tracking via license plates. They were showing how it works and even showed a print out of a license plate for the news bit. Now, even the police can spy on you if they have the technology! Welcome to the whole, new, complete police state, the United States of America! VIVA OBAMA/HOLDER!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ahhhh, an idea.. I'll have to get a new license plate bracket for the truck - something that says, "TRACK THIS!" ..and have a picture of the middle finger salute right after it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How does that work? Do they have an RFID chip in the plates? Where are the readers?

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think that technology is very widespread in the states of Idaho and Wyoming.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well "track you" is a pretty fair exaggeration. They can know when your license plate passed a given police car, but not who was driving nor where it was coming from or going to. How many police cars do you pass on a given trip? One? Two maybe? So you were on a given public street at a certain time. Is that enough to make you don an aluminum chapeau?

It's a license plate reader/camera, SRM. See this LINK

Last edited by RockyRaab; 07/18/13.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Would your cell phone be a better tracking sending device?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Would your cell phone be a better tracking sending device?

Yup. It is.

The plate readers are extremely limited, as is their use. Eventually they'll sync them with traffic camera but that's years down the road and several generations of photo quality cameras from now. No one uses them for anything except finding abandoned stolen cars.

Here's an interesting article on info/privacy for those of you who are interested:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...eep-when-everything-is-terrorism/277844/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phones, credit/debit cards, USMail, license plates, web traffic, twitter, and even ones ammo purchases in California. I suspect FedEx and UPS are delivering their daily files too. Pretty easy for big brother to nail down near every activity in a day now.

1Minute
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It's all just to keep us safe. If you have nothing to hide, you're fine. crazy

Nothing to see here, tinfoil hatters... Move along. laugh

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I dont see much differance between this and me running plates by radio or Alecs.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to see them read my rear license plate, I don't know why I haven't been stopped because of it, my daily trailer is really high so the if I back up to far or the truck rolls when in park the license plate takes the abuse

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cell phones are the best tracking device the government never invented. Or did they...... LOL!

Stupidity is expensive
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My plates usually have so much dirt and mud on them as to be unreadable anyway. It would take one heck of a camera to be able to decipher those plates at highway speed.

Stupidity is expensive
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Essentially every red light intersection in Texas has a camera directly over the street on a pole sticking up about 5 feet from the pole extending over the street that holds the red lights (and green and amber lights- for those from Rio Loco).

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Oh, I mean - Rio Linda, of course.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody wanta place any bets on how much sooner they'll find any getaway car or otherwise help stop any crime?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I dont see much differance between this and me running plates by radio or Alecs.

Do you automatically radio in EVERY plate you see?

That's the difference.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No, but there is nothing preventing me from doing so. And on occasion just to irritate dispatchers I have called in data on every vehicle in a parking lot

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Keeping you occupied in that manner is good for the bad guys, no?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
Keeping you occupied in that manner is good for the bad guys, no?

We have slow nights too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All the DHS Border Patrol checkpoints have had lic. plate readers for awhile, as well as cameras taking several pics of your entire vehicle from several angles, in both directions to and from the checkpoint. This has been in use for a few years now.

Aside from that, toll roads often read lic. plates as well. There are plate readers set up on various highways along the border, so what is to stop them from putting them all over...? Nothing. If you use the public road, I guess you lose your privacy as well.

With as many surveillance cameras as there are, all over the place, your plate gets recorded all the time. Drive in bank, pharmacy, you name it. If they really wanted to, they could track you pretty much anywhere... It's just a matter of manpower and economic feasibility.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 20 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,796
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.