Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We hardly had any ATV's back then either. Now there's hundreds, if not thousands of them running around on NF. Craig Jourdonnais had some elk collared in the Bitterroot study going on, they were using NF lands until Labor day weekend. Then on that weekend most of the cows collared headed to the CB ranch. Why would that be? Wolves don't increase pressure on Labor day, but recreationists out running all over he!! do.

I don't this can be overstated enough. Roughly 6-700K ATVs are sold each year in America. Couple this with other factors such as the growth in foragers/mushroomers and you have more people in the hills creating anthroprogenic pressure on game.

I've spent 20 of the past 27 Memorial Day weekends in the same section of land in Washington. Up until about 10 years ago, we'd see more elk than people. This past Memorial Day weekend (consistent with the recent past) the hills were full of people that were camping, mushrooming, shooting (all day long!), riding ATVs and driving their cars and trucks along the roads. It is night and day how much more human activity there is in this area.

I've stopped many shroomers from going into a canyon that I know the elk calve in. I get the same reply everytime "I had no idea", no chit Sherlock you haven't been running these hills since 1982.

I can only imagine this little section of country is very similar to so many other areas in the west. Couple this with persistent drought and poor food supplies and it paints a pretty clear picture the other stresses that have been put on the elk.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
People don't seem to understand that traffic really does disturb wildlife. Some of my family were taking a day drive on the major county road and I pointed out how these bowls would probably be good mule deer spots if the road wasn't right next to it. My aunt said in a disbelieving tone, "Why, we aren't doing anything to them." People just don't get it. The more restrictions on ATV usage, the better.

Nels
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
4100, I'm not a fan of ATVs either. I've personally turned in a bunch of ATV users that got stiff fines. Maybe it's a combo of the ATV and wolves keeping elk in different areas than years past. I know the herds you speak of. I know a lot of the ranchers. (I used to hunt the BFGP) I get them in my little 5 acre patch of lush green grass, but I do possess a B tag this year. Elk act differently here than they used to. I do think wolves keep the elk lower than normal. I'm not complainig, I still kill mine up high. mtmuley

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jryoung
We hardly had any ATV's back then either. Now there's hundreds, if not thousands of them running around on NF. Craig Jourdonnais had some elk collared in the Bitterroot study going on, they were using NF lands until Labor day weekend. Then on that weekend most of the cows collared headed to the CB ranch. Why would that be? Wolves don't increase pressure on Labor day, but recreationists out running all over he!! do.

I don't this can be overstated enough. Roughly 6-700K ATVs are sold each year in America. Couple this with other factors such as the growth in foragers/mushroomers and you have more people in the hills creating anthroprogenic pressure on game.

I've spent 20 of the past 27 Memorial Day weekends in the same section of land in Washington. Up until about 10 years ago, we'd see more elk than people. This past Memorial Day weekend (consistent with the recent past) the hills were full of people that were camping, mushrooming, shooting (all day long!), riding ATVs and driving their cars and trucks along the roads. It is night and day how much more human activity there is in this area.

I've stopped many shroomers from going into a canyon that I know the elk calve in. I get the same reply everytime "I had no idea", no chit Sherlock you haven't been running these hills since 1982.

I can only imagine this little section of country is very similar to so many other areas in the west. Couple this with persistent drought and poor food supplies and it paints a pretty clear picture the other stresses that have been put on the elk.

On top of this, you have the shed hunters. I've had some bad experiences with these guys..... both trespassing and traipsing over calving grounds.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 39 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,151
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.