-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I posted in the shotgun section but not many people seem to go there. SO maybe you can help.
<br>
<br>Well this is depressing for me to write about. It looks like I am going to be stuck living in NJ for a while unless a miracle happens. My wife really wants to stay here so the poconos in PA will have to be put off for a while. SO I need a good slug gun since I will not shoot them out of my pirty ruger red label 12 over and under.
<br>
<br>I would like to start off looking at bolt actions and then progress towards semi autos and last single shots. So what is your opinions and please don't get outrageous with price stay under like 800-900 bucks if you can. I will only use it on our whitetail deer we have here. It wont be used as a dual purpose gun at all. I am positive that it will be rifled barrel too. SO let me have it.
<br>
<br>In nj you have to use shotguns no rifle or handguns allowed. That is why I am asking.
<br>
<br>thanks for any and all input.
<br>
<br>
<br>Brian
<br>
<br>
<br>

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always wanted one of these
<br>
<br>With the new saboted pistol bullet slugs I think they''l get out to 150-200 yds...
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My second choice would be an 870 synthetic with fully rifled barrel in 20 guage preferably with cantilever scope mount as well..with the gas gun I'd stick with .12 gauge
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here in KY on Ft Knox, only shotguns or muzzleloaders allowed - My Mossberg 500 trophy slugster has served me well. No complaints. but like a rifle, try several combination of slugs that will work best.

Red Baron
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
thanks guys for your input. I am leaning towards H&R ultra slug master single shot 12 guage. What you think??? But its not set in stone yet
<br>
<br>Brian

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
one of my friends has a H&R slug gun. averages 31/2" groups at 100yds. you will probably want to try several different brands of sabots to see which brand your gun likes as slug guns can be very picky. also slug guns are very sensative to plastic fouling. you must brush barrel every couple of shots to achieve best accuracy. i personally sometimes hunt with a remington 1100 with a hastings rifled barrel. if i brush barrel every other shot it will group 11/2-2" at 100yards. if i dont brush it, it groups around 4" good luck RAGHORN

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
thanks raghorn, I have heard a lot of good comments about the H&R and have very good accuracy like about <2" at 100 and 3.5 at 150 yards. THis is what I am looking for. Well thanks and any more comments.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the suggestion about plastic fouling too. I will head that warning.
<br>
<br>Brian

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like the Ithaca pump guns. I have one that will shoot 2.5 inch groups at 100 yds. with magnum slug ammo.
<br> They make, last time I looked, a fixed rifled barreled version just for slug shooters.
<br> If that doesn't do it, then good old Remington will do. Actually, any shotgun, designed for slugs should do.
<br> With the Ithaca, I can mount a scope directly over the reciever, not so with the Remingtons. You can do a scope on a Remnington, but you need a special mount. These are availiable.
<br> A couple of things about slugs. First, they shoot radically differently from gun to gun. And I mean anywhere from 2.5 - 15 inch groups. Sabot ammo requires a rifled barrel. Sabot ammo is not necessarily the best. You must try them out and see what works.
<br> Try them at 50, 100 and 150 yds. I much prefer a low powered scope. They allow simple zeroing, and allow you to see much better. Above all, buy one designed for shotguns. I have used an old 3X Leupold, and it did work, but the specially designed slug scopes are best. A solid mount is a must.
<br> It is possible to get a pretty good trigger on a shotgun. Nothing helps your shooting like a good trigger. And a shooting sling. Mine has both.
<br> But, regardless of what gun you buy, I can't recommend that you shoot, and test various brands of ammo, enough. Slug guns bear little resemblance to rifles. They are crude, and vary far more in accuracy. They have real rainbow trajectory. And they kick like an elephant gun. My Ithaca has a free recoil like that of a .458 Win. with magnum slug ammo. A first class recoil pad it does have. When sighting in, try using a sand bag between yourself and the gun.
<br> You will need to keep your barrel clean. When fouling builds up, the point of impact will change. I'm talking no more than 10 rds. to make this happen. Take your cleaning gear to the range.
<br> The big advantage to all this work is you will have equipment that will work if you test enough. That will give you a big edge on the other hunters. Very few can hit anything with a slug gun. Because they don't really know where it shoots, and they don't know which brand shoots well vs. another. The above mentioned slug gun, for instance, shot 12 inches to the left, and 12 inches low at 50 ydds. with it's factory iron sights. Yet, I would see hunters hunting with rifled slugs in bird guns - no rifle sights at all. And no real idea where it shot. E

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got to agree with just about everything Erimicus posted.
<br>
<br>I grew up hunting East-central WI where rifles aren't allowed. Our entire family uses Remington 870s; some with sights, some with scopes. I had my shotgun drilled and tappped years ago and have a Leupold 3x mounted on the receiver, great scope in my opinion. One brother has the cantelever system, I'm not really sold on this as there aren't any sights for backups if Mr. Murphy hunts with our group that year.
<br>
<br>I use a rifled barrel and sabot slugs, but as has been said; try a number of different brands. If I had to do it again I would do this in 20ga for the lower recoil, 12ga just isn't needed to kill a deer (IMO). For some wierd reason we have found that 2 3/4" slugs tend to be a little more accurate and recoil less to boot.
<br>
<br>There are a lot of good options out there, but the best made (affordable) deer shotguns are made in pump/semi-auto form. The lower priced bolts and single shots are serviceable, but not as nicely made (again IMO).
<br>
<br>Good Luck,
<br>Bob
<br>

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Brian,
<br>
<br>I happen to have an Ithaca Deerslayer II, with the 25 in fully rifled and permanently screwed into the receiver barrel that I am looking to sell. This is a 1989 vintage gun that has never been hunted and has had a professional trigger job (still a bit heavy but crisp). It is a very nice gun. Anyway, I am looking to get $400 for it, and I also live in NJ (warren Cty). If you think you might be interested in an Ithaca, just let me know.
<br>
<br>Bob

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will also second , or third about all of Eremius statements . If you don't mind a pumpgun , take a look at the 1300 Winchesters as well as the other models mentioned . I have used one for about 15 years , 100 % reliable and very accurate with the sabots it likes best . I have an old K3 Weaver mounted and it has been near perfect for the task . There are four more 1300 s in use in my bunch that hunts west central Mn with slugs , and they have all had very good service with these shotguns . The last time I looked , WalMart would sell the black shadow rifled versions for about $230 .
<br>
<br>Personally , I would buy a scope meant for rifles , instead of a shotgun special , as you will probably want to switch the scope to a different gun at some point . The shotguns scopes are set to be parallax free at the typical close whitetail ranges , but a bit of parallax just doesn't matter that much for slug shooting ...... Any of the quality 2.5 power scopes , or 1 to 4 varialbes will work great . If you can find one , the old K 1.5 , 2.5 or K3 Weavers like I've got can be had for bargain prices . And they work.........in my experience ........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Brian,
<br>There is nothing wrong with the H & R. It might be worth your time to look at the Savage 210F before purchasing. $365 versus $235 new. The Savage bolt gun has a reputation for phenominal accuracy. I do not own one, however, a friend of mine in Iowa has one that groups into less than 2 moa consistantly. Sorry, don't know what load he is using.
<br>
<br>http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire/specialty/210f.htm
<br>
<br>http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4843028
<br>
<br>

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks guys for all your input. I am leaning towards the H&R or the savage 210. I really don't like pumps for only one reason. I have only shot it once while hunting. I was quail hunting and came up on a covey and my bro said to try his pump and he would try my Ruger O/U. Well the covey took off and I only got one shot. Reason I was just pulling the trigger and not cycling the gun I just forgot it was a pump. MY bro was hollering pump the gun. SO I don't like them for my own shortcomings. NOT the gun. But thanks for the input.
<br>
<br>Brian

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
supermag , in your hunting area , do you think you will do much shooting over 100 yards ? If not , you should maybe give your Ruger a try with some Forster slugs and see what it will do . Some of the two tube guns will surprise you . I have an old Citori that will put both barrels together right on the money out to 100 yards . And it is not the only o/u in captivity that will do it . A local slug shooting competiton was won a few years ago here by a guy shooting a Citori , of course not against scoped rifled barrel guns . Some of these turkey sights that clamp on your rib will provide adequate sighting equipment for close cover shooting . And Forster or Brenneke slugs meant for smoothbores will not harm your gun ..........I get the feeling you are hoping New Jersey will be a temporary outpost ........?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
sdgun, I never even thought of it. BUt since I am stuck in NJ for a couple years I want a real rifles slug gun. SO it also gives me an excuse to have another gun. But I really don't want to use my ruger o/u. But I never thought that they could be that accurate. Thanks for the info.
<br>
<br>Brian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Supermag, I have the Savage 210 and will give it a positive recommendation. Because of the light weight synthetic stock it does kick like an elephant gun, but it is very accurate, always under 2 inch groups at 100 yards with a 4x scope. I have found the best results with Win. sabots, and the last few years have used the partition gold (1900 fps) with good results. The Savage trigger is not stellar, I've tweaked mine a little, but might look for an aftermarket yet. Good luck with your decision. Cowman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 8 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,950
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.