-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I have never hunted elk before and I was lucky enough to draw a cow tag. I will likely be hunting alone maybe with a friend that drew a tag also,but I really don't plan on him being a lot of help. I'm getting overwhelmed with trying to figure out equipment that I need. I hunted deer for years but in areas where getting deer out it was a short drag and then throw it in the back of the truck. I have a 7mm mag, good boots and binoculars(basic whitetail equipment). I'm looking for seasoned elk hunters to throw me a bone and offer me some tips on equipment etc.. I now I'll have to be selective where I shoot one but if I get the chance I want to be able to pull the trigger. Right now thinking of packing an elk out is making my head spin. Any of your knowledge and opinions would be greatly appreciated. (Any advice other then give it up.)

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maps and boot leather.
You will need to study very closely to find elk on public land in that area.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here's a good tool to help you with your scouting as it will help you define public and private land.
http://map.mtbullypulpit.org/

You got the gun, binos and boots....I'm assuming that means decent hunting clothes too.

Make sure you have a good pack that can haul and elk quarter. There are plenty of options from just a general pack frame (Cabelas) to some higher end packs like Mystery Ranch and Kirfaru.

Learn the gutless method.
http://elk101.com/videos/gutless-video/

Game bags, a good knife, small saw (for bone) are all good tools to have to quarter. 50' of 550 paracord is helpful to tie back legs if you're on your own.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A cow elk is big.... But not as big as you think it is. I was in your shoes just a few short years ago.

Shoot one and haul her out a quarter at a time. Hauling a quarter out is much easier than dragging a whitetail.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunt uphill from your truck.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

If you take a knife and cut a a hole though the lower jaw of the elk thread a rope though it tie it off then go out six feet and tie a small log to the rope with two or three people you can drag a whole elk a long ways. you can ad a second small log if you have more people by adding the log in you are pushing on the log rather than pulling.I have personally taken two elk two miles in the snow. wrapping the elk in a blue tarp also helps.

If you take a knife and cut a a hole though the lower jaw of the elk thread a rope though it tie it off then go out six feet and tie a small log to the rope with two or three people you can drag a whole elk a long ways. you can ad a second small log if you have more people by adding the log in you are pushing on the log rather than pulling.I have personally taken two elk two miles in the snow. wrapping the elk in a blue tarp also helps.you can half the elk to get the weight down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a knife, why in the hell wouldn't you just bone it out?

I couldn't imagine the rodeo of three guys trying to drag an elk 20 yards in the terrain I go into..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll bone [bleep] out in a heartbeat if I have any distance to go, like more than 100 yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'll bone [bleep] out in a heartbeat if I have any distance to go, like more than 100 yards.

Never could figure out trying to bring a critter out whole to cut up at camp.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A cow elk boned out (or even just quartered) and divided between two or three guys isn't too bad to pack out in one trip. About a thousand times easier than trying to drag one out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lots of questions to answer first. Are you car camping or backpacking in and staying? If it's just you then are you going to pack it out on your back or hire an outfitter with horses to pack it out ? What type of budget are you trying to do this on ? Packs that will carry an elk on your back reasonably comfortably run from a low of about $130 for a bare frame to well over a thousand for a custom made mchale. If your torso isn't too long you can get the kelty cache hualer frame on sale for $110 from backcountry edge right now. $180 with a bag you could hunt 5 days out of if you are goingto pack in and stay.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,303
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.