Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't know many professional butchers who work in the field. You don't use one, that's fine, but I know more than a few that find it useful.

Last edited by mtnman1; 07/20/13.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
field/shop same basic use of the knife. Lanyard only gets in the way and as FieldGrade said smells to high heaven.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Guess you have the world figured for the rest of us, don't take much to clean a knife btw

Check out my new website

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
got it.
Swedge or no swedge, doesn't matter.
It is a Rick knife and who is gonna make it.
Gonna ship out some oryx horn this week, and wait patiently.
Hope my curly oryx horn has enough straight for scales.

Ill leave the type of pins and a lanyard tube up to him.
Id just like that blade with that handle and my oryx.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Guess you have the world figured for the rest of us, don't take much to clean a knife btw

I know what works and what isn't needed on a knife. You can keep the fluff. I process about 100 or so deer a year, 5 to 10 black bear a year, I can't even guess how many fish. Yeah I have it pretty figured out. If someone else wants it on their knife that is their choice.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
This is a knife with a lanyard.

[Linked Image]
This is a knife without a lanyard.

I like the looks of a knife with a lanyard.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I never put very many lanyards on knifes until recent years. I thought the only thing they were good for is to hide gunk. Bobby Marteniz always demanded them in my knifes when I made stuff for him. I asked him while he was visting one time and he showed me. He put a small cord on you cant get your hand thru it. He like deep sheaths and he uses it to pull the knife out but more important he hangs the knife from anything instead of laying it on the ground when dirty. I cut myself one time reaching for a knife on the ground. Never made one without since. Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I prefer a safe to carry folder

Yea,,,, cause we all know how "unsafe" a fixed blade in a sheath is to carry.

"21.47 @ WalMart" ???

Get back to me in about twenty years and let me know how that's working for you.

BTW,,,, no need to split the brisket as long as you're not afraid to get your hands dirty.
Not splitting it keeps the meat cleaner if you have to drag it any distance anyways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I like the looks of a lanyard but more times than not, they have more to do with looks than function.

[Linked Image]
This is a knife with a lanyard.

If you're going to quote me please don't edit my words.
I specifically said "I like the looks of a lanyard "tube". wink

I do like the looks of that "knife with a lanyard" though. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
$21.47 Walmart

"Nothing like buyin' a knife built by a man chained to a chair..."

Check out my new website

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I like that pattern. I don't know if it's the same size or not
but the one I have is similar to that that I carry daily and have
used it a lot.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
I never put very many lanyards on knifes until recent years. I thought the only thing they were good for is to hide gunk. Bobby Marteniz always demanded them in my knifes when I made stuff for him. I asked him while he was visting one time and he showed me. He put a small cord on you cant get your hand thru it. He like deep sheaths and he uses it to pull the knife out but more important he hangs the knife from anything instead of laying it on the ground when dirty. I cut myself one time reaching for a knife on the ground. Never made one without since. Just my 2 cents.

Yea,,, no doubt they're useful for extracting a knife from a real deep sheath or one that's extremely snug but I think you'll agree that "more times than not" they have more to do with looks than function.
As far as cutting yourself reaching for a knife,,, I don't think the odds of that are any worse when laying on the ground than dangling from a limb with twigs and such to hang up on. I could be wrong there but I've field dressed at least a hunderd big game animals and skinned a pile of predators over the last half century and have yet to see the need for a lanyard.
I have smelled a few though, and that's pretty much all I need to know about em. frown

To each his own though and I still like the way the tubes look so it's all good. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JWGross

[Linked Image]

See what I mean.
The lanyard tube sure don't hurt the looks of that beauty even if he isn't using it and it's always there if he decides to.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's what Im wanting right there.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use to be just like u. Know I like-em someday maybe I wont. I got knives made both ways. If I am working on the ground I hang everything out of habit. .quote=FieldGrade]

Yea,,, no doubt they're useful for extracting a knife from a real deep sheath or one that's extremely snug but I think you'll agree that "more times than not" they have more to do with looks than function.
As far as cutting yourself reaching for a knife,,, I don't think the odds of that are any worse when laying on the ground than dangling from a limb with twigs and such to hang up on. I could be wrong there but I've field dressed at least a hunderd big game animals and skinned a pile of predators over the last half century and have yet to see the need for a lanyard.
I have smelled a few though, and that's pretty much all I need to know about em. frown

To each his own though and I still like the way the tubes look so it's all good. wink[/quote]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I am working on the ground I hang everything out of habit.

I grew up hunting Mulies in No. NV.
Where I hunted you'd have to load the deer up and drive it to another state to find a tree to hang your knife in. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm a fan/user of lanyards...although I often replace the ones that come on knives. A simple short paracord with just enough reach to wrap around my little finger. It doesn't take much effort to wash it but if it does get stinky, you can buy 100' of paracord for next to nothing and replace them.

I like 'em, but if others don't it's their knife and doesn't bother me in the least.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like lanyard holes on my sheath knives but I don't put a lanyard on them. The sheath gets a short piece of latigo leather with a tapered tip. The tip is dipped in epoxy to stiffen about 3/4" of it. Pull the latigo through the lanyard hole while carrying it and you get a bit of a jam fit in the hole. Loss proof whether wearing it or carrying in a pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lanyards are also handy working in deep snow or over deep water. If not needed they can be slipped off before use or if they do get rank they are easily replaced. In my mind it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have learned the hard way not to lay a knife down when I have finished using it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.