Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ey, what kind of Adhesive do youse-guys prefer when you are working with knives? I tried 5-minute/2-ton Devcon Permatex from Lowes and was working on that guthook knife, and the stuff just 'popped' right off! Oddest thing!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one failure I experienced was due to my allowing the ironwood to get too hot while belt sanding. The wood took on a nasty twist. Epoxy gets pretty soft around 200 degrees. I've removed more than one set of scales by heating the knife to 225.

Or just maybe you're up against some nasty guthook mojo. smile

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you use the 5 minute stuff, you gotta have it really together in a hurry. If you aren't clamped within a couple minutes, you lose.
What exactly to you mean "popped right off"? Was that after you had it together with tubing pins in and while working on/with the knife???
If you are getting wood hot enough to degrade the epoxy while sanding, you should change to a fresh belt. I rough shape with 120 grit on a 1" belt and hand finish up to 1500 from there. You won't get it tooooo hot when done by hand.
Surfaces to be bonded need to be clean, dry and roughed up a bit before putting together.

I am a believer in the 2 hour Devcon.
Got a pic of the failure???
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I wouldn't rely on epoxy!

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I'm another 2hr Devcon fan. If you do all the proper prep work, they won't pop off. Roughen up the contact areas, do a really good degrease, clamp and allow to cure properly.

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I also am a Devcon 2hr fan. I make sure the tang and scales are clean and slightly rough. I usually glue scales in the evening pin and clamp and let set over night for the best cure.

And don't get the knife and scales hot when shaping.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have found J-B Weld and Devcon to be the best for my use, both in the 24 hour set up time.

The quick drying time epoxys might be as strong as the others, but I have found them not to be as heat resistant.

I wouldn't worry to much about it anyway-someone once told me that the only thing glue is good for is to hold it in place until you can get a nail into it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"I wouldn't rely on epoxy!"

I don't rely on it, I fill all voids and cover all surfaces with it.
It just adds to the mechanical lock system in place to hold things together. And in some cases of construction also just holds it together till I get pins or bolts in place.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry about not having pics. I think the deal is that was grinding happily away for quite a long time, although the belt was new, it was a 120 grit belt for the el-cheapo 1" wide Harbor Fr8 belt sander, so I think the combo of short-time epoxy, a smaller belt, and my inexperience is what did it, it had quite a nasty twist!

Oh well, it's a learning process, and I am still having fun!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
"I wouldn't rely on epoxy!"

I don't rely on it, I fill all voids and cover all surfaces with it.
It just adds to the mechanical lock system in place to hold things together. And in some cases of construction also just holds it together till I get pins or bolts in place.
jmho
Tim

Sorry Tim, My comment wasn't directed at you, just used quick reply...

Dale

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dale
No issue here, as I mostly was reinforcing the thought not to rely ONLY on a chemical bond.

There are some guys stuffing half stick tangs into a hole with only epoxy to hold it together. I have done this once to a knife for myself to see if/when it fails, but maybe it won't.

I think a mechanical lock is important, and so is filling all voids. So, I do rely on epoxy to a certain degree.
jmho
Tim

Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,655
Posts18,493,483
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.