Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
What gives the right for various Governments to intercept
boats suspected of carrying drugs in the highseas?

I can appreciate if the boat in question is stopped in territorial waters, or as Steely mentioned above, if its a US registered ship, and is stopped by the USN or USCG..

However,I am under the impression that the USCG intercepts a lot of the drug running boast coming up from South America while they are still in international waters..

Are there international laws/treaties that allow them to do this or is it a case of "might is right"?

I�m not sure about the �right� but there is longstanding precedent that goes back to your Royal Navy. The Royal Navy (and many other Navies) have boarded ANY ship suspected of illicit activity in most any way; and has done so for centuries. First it began as searching for arms going to a nation they were at war with, but it later expanded to most any illicit activity that was against what England considered �the law�.

Most ships fly under a flag of convenience, and as such the flag of convenience nations typically don�t make any issue of US boarding the ships; so the US just generally gets away with it. But I believe there has to be reasonable suspicion of illicit activity in violation of international laws (and drugs are), or suspicion that the vessel is carrying illicit cargo headed for the US.

Now if a ship is under a US flag, the USGC can board it anywhere, anytime.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The Coast Guard used to fall under the Dept Of Commerce or Treasury (can't remember off hand) but they are now under DHS. In times of war as in WWII, they can and have transferred to DoD.
My recollection was the they fell under the Department of Transportation, not Treasury.

We've been under both.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
International waters begin at 200 miles off the US coast. The USC that Steelhead cited reads that USCG has authority in international waters as well. As long as we're not in the demarcation line of another country's bounderies.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I was discharged August of 1969 and I think my DD214 still said Treasury Department. Don't really remember for sure but it didn't matter, I was still "Guard" for life and shed a tear when I look at pics of my old ship USCGC Dependable.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
We shifted to DOT in 1967.

The Dependable, she was spanking new when you were on her.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Coast Guard used to fall under the Dept Of Commerce or Treasury (can't remember off hand) but they are now under DHS. In times of war as in WWII, they can and have transferred to DoD.
My recollection was the they fell under the Department of Transportation, not Treasury.

correct

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

correct

Again, we were under the Treasury Dept until 1967 when we were shifted to DOT and then DHS in 2002.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe that is what I wrote in my OP excapt I wrote Commerce.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I retired less than a year ago and all but 2 units I was stationed at have been decommissioned.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
You Bet. I was a "Plankowner". Chris

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in Costa Rica last summer, there were Coast Guard C-130s in and out of the airport at Liberia all day long. Had some choppers there, too. My understanding is that Costa Rica does not have an army and depends upon treaties and other international agreements for military assistance.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I�m not sure about the �right� but there is longstanding precedent that goes back to your Royal Navy. The Royal Navy (and many other Navies) have boarded ANY ship suspected of illicit activity in most any way; and has done so for centuries. First it began as searching for arms going to a nation they were at war with, but it later expanded to most any illicit activity that was against what England considered �the law�.

Most ships fly under a flag of convenience, and as such the flag of convenience nations typically don�t make any issue of US boarding the ships; so the US just generally gets away with it. But I believe there has to be reasonable suspicion of illicit activity in violation of international laws (and drugs are), or suspicion that the vessel is carrying illicit cargo headed for the US.

Now if a ship is under a US flag, the USGC can board it anywhere, anytime.

I realise the precedent is a historic one, but just wondered how it worked in todays more politically correct times..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chris375
You Bet. I was a "Plankowner". Chris

What do you mean was a "Plankowner?" As a "Plankowner" you are still a "Plankowner" even though it has been decommissioned, just like I am a "Plankowner" of USNMag Yellow Water,FL. That is an Honor that you hold and no-one can take that away from you, you can take that Honor to the Grave.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
She isn't decommissioned, she's still rolling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So do they operate under UCMJ? I have always been vague on how the CG operates, not being DoD but a branch of the military.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
She isn't decommissioned, she's still rolling.

That's great Steelhead. He mentioned that he was a "Plank Owner" like it was in the past tense, and all I was trying to do say as a "Plank Owner" and that is an honor that can not be taken away from him whether the ship, boat or base is still on the active or decommissioned list.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
So do they operate under UCMJ? I have always been vague on how the CG operates, not being DoD but a branch of the military.

Yep, we are bound by USMJ, we are a branch of the military, just like any other. Same rank structure as the Navy, same pay scale, same everything.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
USCG is an armed service, not a uniformed service. That did make for some interesting conversations back in the day. With those in other "Armed" services.

At the base armory there were still some 1928 Thompsons and at one time a pile- literally- of AK-47's on the floor.
Green ID said "Armed----".
Transportation when I was with the CG.

Retired cat herder.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I thought the CG was DOD and had members on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, at least they seemed to be during my time in the USN in the 1980s. It seems possible though that they might've been transferred to DHS after the inception of that department. I think organizationally they are DOD and perhaps also receive funding from Transportation or DHS or both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to be that they would fall under the Secretary of War and the Navy during a declared war back when we still had such. Who knows what twists and curves happen now. The Department of Homeland Security is so big and has so much jurisdiction that it is simply mind boggling. Despite that all those that I've known that have served in the CG were/are true professionals and do a difficult mission well.

I'm sure that I've probably said something not quite right and Steelie with be along to kick my ass shortly. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.