Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let's talk grills and bbq's.

Have a round smoker? I use a gas grill for convenience all the time. I love the BGE but haven't taken the plunge.

I used a park style grill at a condo at the beach to whip up some steaks and really liked the design. I can see this as a heavy duty grill smoker combo that is outstandingly versatile. Anybody used this style of charcoal grill? Pro & cons?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
gave away my Brinkman smoker and my gas grill last week. Never used them.
I 'grill' now, with one of those special pans on the gas stove in the kitchen.
Mostly cooking for myself now, so an outside grill is just too much trouble to mess with.

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have cooked on those grills. They are nothing special and simply a charcoal grill. very limited in capabilities and certainly wouldn't label them a smoker. there is very poor seals where top meets bottom so no easy way to regulate oxygen inflow besides the vents. We have two of those at the local pool. If you want a charcoal grill/smoker, get a ceramic egg style. Four brands to consider are green egg, primo, grilldome, KAMADO Joe. Just my two cents.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grill dome I cook on..

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 07/23/13.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I went ceramic and haven't looked back. I had an old stainless gas grill given to me a few months ago. I refurbished it and promptly gave it away after one cooking.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc: We have a Webber Genesis gas grill we use several times a week but for father's day the kids gave me a classic two chamber smoker and it works great. Charcoal burner and we really like the way it smokes and slow cooks.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a webber gasser but use it very seldom now since I bought my Akorn grill. I cook everything from pizza to butts on it. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by stumpman; 07/23/13.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a custom pit from Klose I bought in 1995, this past Xmas I returned a gift to Gander for a Smoke Hollow electric smoker. I have not used my Klose since 2012, and I typically smoke year around.

Clean the grates, a handful of chips, set the temperature and go fondle my meat in a few hours,totally badA$$. I am sure there are bigger and better e-smokers but this is very convenient and works great.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=694522

Dave

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Doc: We have a Webber Genesis gas grill we use several times a week but for father's day the kids gave me a classic two chamber smoker and it works great. Charcoal burner and we really like the way it smokes and slow cooks.

Weber Genesis is what I have hook up to the natural gas line and use 3-4 times a week. I still like that charcoal effect when I want to smoke or "do it right".

All those iron monsters we saw at the Oasis down in Uvalde kinda got me the bug and looking around. The the grill above on our last trip to A.I. and wanted to see if the grill masters here had some knowledge. People do love the egg!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, this looks mighty good to eat!

[Linked Image][/URL]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a BGE and a gas grill.... Gas grill for convience... BGE when I have more time and or to smoke... works out great

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stumpman
I use a webber gasser but use it very seldom now since I bought my Akorn grill. I cook everything from pizza to butts on it. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I bought one of those, thought "What the heck, it's only $299"? It actually does a good job.

I do cheat and use an Auber.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7327641420_a90a7b1bfb_z.jpg[/img]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Weber Genesis is what I have hook up to the natural gas line and use 3-4 times a week. I still like that charcoal effect when I want to smoke or "do it right".

All those iron monsters we saw at the Oasis down in Uvalde kinda got me the bug and looking around. The the grill above on our last trip to A.I. and wanted to see if the grill masters here had some knowledge. People do love the egg!

That's what we have Jeff, one of those "Texican Specials" it really works and I enjoy the "process" of getting the meat smoked and cooked properly.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd love a BGE but there's no way I can spring for it, at least not now. For grilling I have a Weber, I've used gas in the past but never cared for it much. I also have a Bradley smoker that I really like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We do all of our grilling on this Char Griller Pro. This thing will hit 650 degrees in a
matter of minutes and I love cooking steaks
and burgers on it.

[Linked Image]

All my smoking gets done in this home built smoker I made a few years ago.
It has a Bradley Smoke generator connected to the back of it and I use propane as a heat source.
I've smoked a helluva lot of salmon and ribs in this thing.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a custom pit from Klose I bought in 1995, this past Xmas I returned a gift to Gander for a Smoke Hollow electric smoker. I have not used my Klose since 2012, and I typically smoke year around.

Clean the grates, a handful of chips, set the temperature and go fondle my meat in a few hours,totally badA$$. I am sure there are bigger and better e-smokers but this is very convenient and works great.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=694522

As a stick burner junkie, let me say I am super jealous of anybody with a Klose smoker. The stuff that guy makes is out of this world good.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd love to have a BGE, but that price tag makes my butt pucker up.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We use a plain old Weber btw. It works.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Plain ol weber kettle "indirect" with apple or hickory chips.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
gave away my Brinkman smoker and my gas grill last week. Never used them.
I 'grill' now, with one of those special pans on the gas stove in the kitchen.
Mostly cooking for myself now, so an outside grill is just too much trouble to mess with.

Mannlicher:

Could you post a link or name brand for those special pans?

All I have seen were frying pans with ridges on the bottom. Is that what you are talking about?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 22250rem, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,799
Posts18,496,275
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.