Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like Camo. It doesn't make much difference with game animals, but I can hide from other hunters, game wardens, ranch foreman, and landowners a lot better.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As a disabled hunter I make good use of camouflage - I painted my Red Ford Explorer green.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shaman, interesting remarks on camo as a statement. There's a tendency here to look upon people wearing new camo in the latest pattern, coordinated from head to foot, as dudes. People more interested in showing their cool than in hunting. Not so long ago someone not wearing farm chore clothes was looked at askance, outside of waterfowl hunters that is. That's changed as camo has become more common on the racks of course. But still I tend to avoid the coordinated look and replace items singly as they go on sale to fit in. Saves money and the game doesn't care.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read about a greenhorn who was hunting in New England. He went into a small town store wearing blaze orange hat, coat, and pants. The grizzled locals, who wore nothing brighter than a red plaid cap, looked him over and one said "Sonny, aren't you taking an awful chance with those brown boots?"

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
"Me? When I need to take the bus, I wear my old M65 in GI ERDL and talk to myself openly. In 30-some years, no one has ever tried anything, in fact I can always get a seat by myself, no matter how crowded it is."

Are you sure that fact is due to your actions or the lack of personal hygiene? wink grin

Of course not. Guys like that only eat rice and drink and bathe in rainwater so the bad guys don't smell them.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by SU35
I don't wear camo and the best mask for scent is using the wind in your favor, nothing more.

+1, and like GregW said, some of my light jackets happen to be camo, but not necessary. I'm simple minded...and pay attention to wind, shade, etc.

You don't see teh shade thing mentioned often. I often wonder how folks miss it though, a deer in the shade or walking through the shade is often hard and for sure harder to spot. When one walks out of the shade into the sunlight its like someone turned a spotlight on it.

If it works that way on game, you KNOW it works that way for you.

Unfortunately shade isn't always available for a given route but we sure try to take BIG advantage of it if we can.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Allen917
I like Camo. It doesn't make much difference with game animals, but I can hide from other hunters, game wardens, ranch foreman, and landowners a lot better.

Yep, your from East Texas. Didn't know camo worked in the dark though.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I try to match the location I'm hunting.

Example, Sitka blacktail buck shot in Alaska at 20'. Fish images on the shirt are Salmon

[Linked Image]

Whitetail shot in Texas. Fish images on shirt are Seatrout, Reds etc.

[Linked Image]

It would make no sense to wear a Salmon shirt in Texas just as it wouldn't make sense to wear the Seatrout shirt in Alaska. You have to match your surroundings.

Awesome stuff. Camo is a marketing gimmick for fashion-conscious hunters. I admit I like the "morning wood" pattern.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I much prefer the European approach - muted earth tones and a preference for Loden green. Looks good in town, works good in the bush.
I wish some of the good USA hunting clothing was available in loden instead of camo. And I also resent paying a royalty to the marketers who tack on a few bucks to the cost of every camo garment.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just saw a sow last night-shooting hogs from a helicopter in Texas. The dudes in the chopper were wearing camo...I'll bet those hogs never suspected a thing.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just saw a sow last night-shooting hogs from a helicopter in Texas. The dudes in the chopper were wearing camo...I'll bet those hogs never suspected a thing.....

She must have been one pissed little piggy.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yeah, and all those professional TV show/hunters that crawl into a blind wearing full camo are hiding their azzzes off too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I hunted crows for many years and needed all the camo I could get. Since the camo was my "hunting clothes" I also wore them hunting squirrels, deer, ducks, whatever. Deer can't see the red/orange colors, hence hunters orange for safty.

I don't think there is any disadvantage to wearing camo unless you wear it to town and some little old lady gets upset with you.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I hunted coyotes and bobcats with a guide down in Texas. The guide had video of himself shooting a double on coyotes and several bobcats while wearing a Santa Claus suit.

He was in the open, so the predators could fully see him. He simply did not move.

Movement, not color or pattern, makes all the difference.

Most camoflage is simply marketing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I choose clothing that performs and is comfortable, waterproof, windproof, warm, etc. I will admit that most of my clothing is camo because they meet these attributes. I've dumped several pieces of clothing that haven't. But I also have pieces that aren't camo. I keep them around for the same reasons and I'm not afraid to mix and match. I do have a couple of pieces that claim to have "scent control" features, but I still rely on wind direction to mask my order when possible.

Oh, I don't wear it as casual clothing...ever.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a couple of Kuiu camo clothes. The four way stretch makes them much better than any other clothes I have hunted or hiked in. That they are made in camo is just a bonus.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When I lived in Pennsylvania, I killed 3 deer a ranges so close I could easily have hit them with rock. My technique was to sit on the ground with my back to a fallen tree clothed in a solid blaze orange jacket.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I try to match the location I'm hunting.

Example, Sitka blacktail buck shot in Alaska at 20'. Fish images on the shirt are Salmon

[Linked Image]

Whitetail shot in Texas. Fish images on shirt are Seatrout, Reds etc.

[Linked Image]

It would make no sense to wear a Salmon shirt in Texas just as it wouldn't make sense to wear the Seatrout shirt in Alaska. You have to match your surroundings.

Damn, Scott! I wasted all that money on camo TP stock? You were the one that told me to invest in it.

Oh, wait.... it's up.

Never mind.

Last edited by las; 07/24/13.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Francis Sell wrote, the less you move the more you see. I have found stillness to be a key point to hunting success.

That said, I have walked for long distances with deer herds by imitating there actions. The lifted head stare, short rapid changes of direction, etc... They were not alarmed as long as I mimicked their actions.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.