Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a custom pit from Klose I bought in 1995, this past Xmas I returned a gift to Gander for a Smoke Hollow electric smoker. I have not used my Klose since 2012, and I typically smoke year around.

Clean the grates, a handful of chips, set the temperature and go fondle my meat in a few hours,totally badA$$. I am sure there are bigger and better e-smokers but this is very convenient and works great.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=694522

As a stick burner junkie, let me say I am super jealous of anybody with a Klose smoker. The stuff that guy makes is out of this world good.

I replaced the firebox on my smoker because Klose would not honor their warranty.

Check out Gatorpits for some really nice smokers, also in the Houston area. They have some great ideas and a few I have incorporated into my own smoker.

I still want to add a row of thick plates, 1/2" x 3" wide across the bottom of the chamber, spaced about 1/2" apart like piano keys to keep the flame from burning the meat when I add a stick to the firebox.

When I die the kids can decide who takes it home, I won't be getting rid of it. I will use it when I cook for more than 1 or 2 people or when I can be home to add a stick every hour.

Dave

GB1

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been using a Big Steel Keg and a Bubba Keg for the last few years. Gets hot enough to sear ribeye's and will also go low and slow. The internal temp in this picture is 250 degree doing a pair of St Louis ribs. Also purchased a Green Mountain pellet grill last week that I think I will really like.
[Linked Image]

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a custom pit from Klose I bought in 1995, this past Xmas I returned a gift to Gander for a Smoke Hollow electric smoker. I have not used my Klose since 2012, and I typically smoke year around.

Clean the grates, a handful of chips, set the temperature and go fondle my meat in a few hours,totally badA$$. I am sure there are bigger and better e-smokers but this is very convenient and works great.

As a stick burner junkie, let me say I am super jealous of anybody with a Klose smoker. The stuff that guy makes is out of this world good.

I replaced the firebox on my smoker because Klose would not honor their warranty.

Check out Gatorpits for some really nice smokers, also in the Houston area. They have some great ideas and a few I have incorporated into my own smoker.

I still want to add a row of thick plates, 1/2" x 3" wide across the bottom of the chamber, spaced about 1/2" apart like piano keys to keep the flame from burning the meat when I add a stick to the firebox.

When I die the kids can decide who takes it home, I won't be getting rid of it. I will use it when I cook for more than 1 or 2 people or when I can be home to add a stick every hour.

Wow, that is really surprising, might be the first bad experience I've heard of with a Klose pitt. I've got a home made job, uses a Fisher baby bear cast iron wood stove as the firebox and an old propane tank as the cooking chamber about 24"x54"

That cast iron firebox is about 1/2" thick and really holds the heat well.

I run a 22" Weber for my grilling needs, and a 22" UDS for the times that I'm just smokin' for the family and not a huge party.

Everyone should have a 22" Weber, you can do a ton of different things on it.

If I had the money, I'd buy a XL Green Egg, but my UDS makes do for now.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'd love to have a BGE, but that price tag makes my butt pucker up.

I can see where you're coming from but I figure if it's well taken care of I'll never have to purchase another grill in my lifetime! There is nothing that can burn out. There is nothing that can rust out. Plus, they are just so damn versatile! I've only had mine a short while and it's mind boggling what can be done with these things & the food is just soooooooo good. SERIOUSLY! smile

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by RDW

That's a first for me. Did you talk to Dave? Those pits are studs.

All American

All the time
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave is a wildman

Even if he did steal my team handle. cool

BYC!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a weber one touch gold charcoal grill to do everything. Mine was about $150, but if you watch Craig's List, you can do much better. It smokes too and maintains temperature pretty good once you get the hang of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc
Dave is a wildman

Even if he did steal my team handle. cool

BYC!

LMAO!

That he did! (wish I had bought one!)

All American

All the time
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I talked to David and he told me I voided the warranty by not washing out the firebox every time I used the pit. I walked in, picked out a pit, paid for it and it was delivered to my new house across town a few days later. At the time, there were no warranty requirements on the their website.

He offered to install a new firebox for 200.00 and I declined, bought my own Victor O/A rig and build my own.

He was polite and professional throughout our conversations but I did not agree with his position.

My box has been on the pit since 2005, only washed out one time and the steel is not flaking off in sheets like the steel on the original firebox.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
Yes, I talked to David and he told me I voided the warranty by not washing out the firebox every time I used the pit. I walked in, picked out a pit, paid for it and it was delivered to my new house across town a few days later. At the time, there were no warranty requirements on the their website.

He offered to install a new firebox for 200.00 and I declined, bought my own Victor O/A rig and build my own.

He was polite and professional throughout our conversations but I did not agree with his position.

My box has been on the pit since 2005, only washed out one time and the steel is not flaking off in sheets like the steel on the original firebox.

Well, I've not only never washed my firebox out, but I've never even heard that they needed to be washed out. Since yours was flaking I reckon the steel was suspect. I bought mine in 2005.

All American

All the time
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ramp Pizza in my Kamodo Joe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cartod; 07/23/13.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a BGE, Kamado Joe, Traeger, weber kettle or two, Weber Q gas grill, and stick burner. A Kamado type cooker is the most versatile cooker you can get IMO. Primo and BGE are lifetime warranty, Kamado Joe 20 year.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RDW

How did THAT slip by without comment?

You guys is slippin'

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kamado Vision, now with lifetime warranty, $399.99 summer close out last year @ Costco with stainless roller stand, side tables, all stainless hardware, cover, & accessories. Had been shopping a large BGE for a couple of years prior.

16 y/o is now a BBQ Pitmaster doing 3-1-1 hour St. Louis ribs, 8-10 hour slow cooks on Boston Butts, 16 hour slow cooks on briskets, smoked fish, chicken, turkeys, etc. and all are amazing. We upgraded with an auto temp control device & large oval ceramic stone for indirect & large adjustable grid system.

Pics to come ....................

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weber Kettle
[Linked Image]

Offset smoker

[Linked Image]

Gas Weber, mini Weber, three burner stove.

[Linked Image]

Have all these in the backyard. Egg would be nice, but not ready to do that with a new baby and all. Gives me lots of options and possibilities.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
this thread is a gay waste land ...buy a WSM, add a weed burner and move out of section 8 housing ..............this thread/s is over spanked.

Last edited by atvalaska; 07/23/13.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Torg

Dude, $4,000!???

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Big Green Egg or similar, no contest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Torg

Dude, $4,000!???

Seriously, four Large for a grill? Does it come with a large breasted blonde cook? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.