Print Thread
Hop To
D
Darrel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My refrigerator is not cooling properly and the freezer will barely hold at 30*! It's a sideXside model GE. The back, inside wall of the freezer is covered with ice/frost. I cannot find any air leaks around the doors but that doesn't mean that there is not one. This happened about three weeks ago and I emptied it and let it defrost for about eight hours and it seemed to work alright until 'today'! What might be causing this that I'm overlooking? I've vacuumed the underside as far back in there as I am able to see and reach and the back outside is solid: no coils, etc., just the plug in entrance for the cord.

It has two controls on the 'fridge side at the top,(knobs) marked 0-9 (they are on '9' now/max cool) and at the bottom, by the drawer in the center of the unit is a "lever" that moves up and down. As far as I know these have not been moved since the unit was installed about eight years ago.

Is there anything in particular that I need to do or look for to stop this "frosting" of the freezer and loss of cooling into the 'fridge side?

Thanks for any help.
Darrel

P.S.: Neighbor is having same problem with his, too, but a different brand! Maytag is what his is!

Last edited by Darrel; 07/24/13.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My sears side by side fridge with water dispenser and ice cube maker which was new was not cooling right, turned out to be the fan on the freezer side not running which meant the cold being produced was not being circulated around, got new fan installed and temps went back to normal and all parts of fridge got cool.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unplug it for a day, let it completely defrost.

Should be GTG after that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
easy fix........clean the drain & tube/s ... blow them out to........then u will good to go......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Went through the same thing about two years ago with a Whirlpool side x side. It was the defrost timer, easily replaced but if it's an older model might just be better to replace the fridge.

Phil

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If the coil is icing over it is likely that the defrost heater element is shot. uncover the coil and look around the base, it will look similar to a small fluorescent light bulb with a wire at each bend, black burned spots indicate that it is toast.

Obama, busily making Jimmy Carter look smart UPDATE Sept. 2011!!! Jimmy has now achieved genius status ! UPDATE Sept 2013 !!! Jimmy has now achieved MENSA STATUS, Barry, not so much
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
As stated above if its a repeating process then defrost timer, switch or element. My Jenn-air need that a few years ago, Found instructions on the internet and ordered the parts, took about 20 minutes once it was defrosted.

If its only happened once, it might be just that one of the doors didn't shut completely and the unit had to run continuously to keep up and so froze up , shut it down and defrost it and see what happens.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Pull that back panel off that has the frost on it and you're likly to find a solid block of ice. Take your wifes hair dryer to it (not getting too close). My Whirlpool lasted for about 18 months after the first time and second time it took out the fan motor and I think caused a leak in the coil, lasted for another 4 or 5 months... after replacing the parts, third time lost quite a bit of the frozen meat.

The refrigerator was about 9 years old when it all started and would have been better to replace at the start. Can't trust them not to go bad when least expected.

Phil

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Before you spend any money remove the lower cover panel and make sure the coils underneath are clean. Mine get covered in dog hair and dust.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
check you defrost timer, or your defrost heater, or if it has a board, check that, also it might be a thermister. I just went through the same thing, it ended up being my defrost heater and my main board, also You tube is your friend on this.

Last edited by clos; 07/25/13.

Clos

NRA Life Member

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 32 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.