Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
When Iver finished my .458 custom Mauser in 1957, one of the first questions that my Alaska and Montana hunter friends asked was whether it'd shoot inside an inch at a hundred yards.

I assured 'em that anything that I expected to shoot with it would definitely be bigger'n an inch and probably a lot closer'n a hundred yards.

Say, that's a sobering dose of reality.

Seems we Loonies fantasize about our rifles shooting one hole groups, which gets lost somewhere out hunting in the real world. Now, for long range work, probably more of an issue than with all around hunting.

Your statement represents a "keen grasp of the obvious", often lost on too many of us gun nuts.

DF

I'll be the first to admit I want my rifles to shoot bughole groups. I'll also admit that when you are out in the field, it's a whole different ball game!! That's where experience comes in and group shooting goes out the window. It's all about the clean ethical 1 shot kill that we strive for and we have to try to make everything come together at just the right time to put meat on the table...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been following this with a lot of interest, mostly from afar. For the record, my most accurate rifles are (1) a custom .257 AI built on a Mexican Mauser action with a Krieger barrel and a Rimrock stock, and (2) a Mauser action custom .270 with a Shilen barrel and a nice walnut stock by Caudill Custom Stocks.

The most accurate load in the .257 AI is a 115 BT over 46.0 grains of H4831sc in W-W cases with a WLR primer. In the .270, I use a 130 BT over 59.0 grains of H4831sc in W-W cases with the WLR primer. Switching to Partitions in either of these rifles will open up the groups by about 25%-30%

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Like most of yall, I have several rifles that shoot pretty good. They all say Winchester, Remington, Weatherby, Sako, etc on them. I only own one rifle that shoots consistent dime sized groups. It's a full custom 03-A3 30.06 built for me in 1968 by Herr Rudolph Fuch at the Ramstein Rod and Gun Club. It has a custom Roberts stock, original Smith Carona barrel that he turned and crowned, old style Beuhler safety, and a Timney trigger. Also a hard to find hinged floorplate that I wish I had 100 more of. Don't know where he got it. A dream to shoot.

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My most accurate BG rifle was not the one in my safe I thought it would be, it is a light weight sheep rifle that surprised me last fall. A Sako AV action with a McMillen Sako classic stock, a Shilen barrel chambered in 7WSM with a Leupold 4.5x14x40LR scope, I wanted this rifle to shoot the Berger 180gr VLD it would not. after tinkering with several bullets and powders I found the magic combo for this rifle 160gr Accubonds with H1000.

I was very lucky last year and drew a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep tag in my home state of Utah, I scouted and researched the unit from June until the opening day of Nov 1st. Historicly the biggest rams in this unit are taken closer to Thanksgiving so I had no intention of taking a ram opening weekend unless it was a whopper.
We happened to be out scouting in CELL range opening weekend when I got a call from a friend that had a tag in the hunting unit just to the west of my unit. He said I need your help in the morning come on over.
Me my nephew and one of my hunting buddies showed up bright and early, they had found a very nice ram up in the cliffs but no way to get to it. 5 different range finders had him at 1285 yards. He had no confidence in his rifle at that range so he wanted to use mine. I dialed in my scope....RAM down.
Two weeks later I shot my ram at a mere 675 yards. 2 consecutive shots 2 170+ rams, damn I love that rifle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like I don't shoot my rifles as much as a lot of guys here. I have fired my Forbes 270 exactly 11 times. Of those 11 shots, 6 were fired into two groups resting over the hood of my suburban, one measuring about 1/2 inch and the other about 3/4 inch. Shot #11 center-punched a jug full of water at 300 yards.

For financial reasons, I'm listing my Forbes in the classifieds this weekend. Also listing my Belgian BLR 243. Both rifles are like new.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
My most accurate BG rifle was not the one in my safe I thought it would be, it is a light weight sheep rifle that surprised me last fall. A Sako AV action with a McMillen Sako classic stock, a Shilen barrel chambered in 7WSM with a Leupold 4.5x14x40LR scope, I wanted this rifle to shoot the Berger 180gr VLD it would not. after tinkering with several bullets and powders I found the magic combo for this rifle 160gr Accubonds with H1000.

I was very lucky last year and drew a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep tag in my home state of Utah, I scouted and researched the unit from June until the opening day of Nov 1st. Historicly the biggest rams in this unit are taken closer to Thanksgiving so I had no intention of taking a ram opening weekend unless it was a whopper.
We happened to be out scouting in CELL range opening weekend when I got a call from a friend that had a tag in the hunting unit just to the west of my unit. He said I need your help in the morning come on over.
Me my nephew and one of my hunting buddies showed up bright and early, they had found a very nice ram up in the cliffs but no way to get to it. 5 different range finders had him at 1285 yards. He had no confidence in his rifle at that range so he wanted to use mine. I dialed in my scope....RAM down.
Two weeks later I shot my ram at a mere 675 yards. 2 consecutive shots 2 170+ rams, damn I love that rifle

Great story, BA! Thanks for sharing.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Great story, BA! Thanks for sharing.

+1

Enjoyed that one, too.

DF

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by greydog

Looking back, there is not a single shot I have made on big game which could not have been made as well with a 2 minute rifle. In fact, some were made with rifles which didn't shoot all that well.
That really accurate 6mm Ruger never shot anything more than 150 yards away.
The great-shooting BRNO 30/06 accounted for.... nothing! It was the unluckiest rifle I ever owned. If I wanted to garantee my knife would stay clean, I only had to carry that '06 and I wouldn't even have to strain my eyes looking at an animal. I shot it a lot, re- barreled it, and sold it to someone who probably never shot another animal.
GD

Greydog post resonates with me. One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned was a custom built M70 in .340 Wby Mag with a muzzle brake. First three shots I fired with this rifle using 250 grain Swift A-Frames went into about 0.65 inches at 100 yards. That was not the only group of that size that I fired.

Quickly discovered two things about that great rifle. First, I hate muzzle brakes. Never want to own another one. Also the .340 Wby Mag is more than I care to shoot without a muzzle brake.

Second, no game was ever seen while carrying this rifle. After a couple of seasons of this, I began to think this was a unlucky rifle.

I don't know if there is such a thing as an unlucky rifle, but once you start thinking you are carrying one, it might be good to get rid of it.

I replaced the rifle with a different custom built M70 .338 Win Mag, with no muzzle brake.

That rifle shot quite well, but not near as well as the .340 Wby.

I didn't care, because the game reappeared in the mountains, and I started killing elk once again!

The rifle that shoots the best may not be the best rifle!

Last edited by WyoM70; 07/25/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Though I don't own it now, having replaced it with the newer R8, Blaser's R93 was it. I had three barrels for it--6.5x55, 30/06, and .375 H&H. While all three were more accurate than a hunting rifle need be, both the 6.5 and the .375 accounted for several sub-half inch three-shot groups at a hundred yards.

I have not had a chance to wring the R8 out yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I most consistently accurate big game rifle I own would surprise most people. I've owned it for over 5 years and I have over 2500rounds thru it. I've done nothing but shoot it, clean it, and adjust the trigger. that gun is my Marlin XL-7 in 30-06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/targets/ML-730-06200ydgroup.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/targets/ML-730-06200ydgroup2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/dmsbandit/deer%20pictures/100_0300.jpg[/img]

When you aim for the neck on NC deer, having a gun that shoots consistent is a help.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dmsbandit - apparently those Marlins do shoot well! wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Arac
dmsbandit - apparently those Marlins do shoot well! wink

Great buys for a no frills hunting gun. Usually seen for under $375 new.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did I forget to mention mine are both 25 shot groups, fired from galloping horseback

Sitting saddle, or hanging off one side and using the saddle for a rest???

whistle

My most consistanly accurate deer rifle over many years, is a 70s vintage M700ADL in 25-06. Haven't "papered it" at 200 yards in some time, did kill a deer with it at 204 yards two years ago. Wire fence rested at the time. Heart shot.

Normally shoots 3 shot groups @ 100 (bipod/rear bag) that are well within an inch. Still does that. Smallest group ever was all three touching and quite a few half inchers, but that's not the average and I wouldn't claim it as such.

Toss up between that one and another 25-06, both shooting the same 100gr Btip loads. But the other one weighs too much to lug around for very long. So it's killed deer at 500 yards from a bipod, but that's a bit different than how I hunt with the M700.

Anything that keeps 'em consistantly within an inch and a half @ 100 yards, is fine with me. That includes anything from a Marlin carbine in 35 Rem (peep) to some scoped deer thumpers.

Accuracy is relative to the usage, as I don't shoot at 300 yard deer with that Marlin, as I would with the 25-06.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
currently a savage 7mm-08,, 120bt and 45 grains varget, It shoots little cloverleafs at 100 yards, same load shoots very well moa or better in 2 other rifles

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
My 378 can do better than the target posted by Bighorn.

So let's see it.
Oops that is damn good shooting, I figured it was a three shot group in total. After rereading that it is actually 2x3 shot groups. No way can out shoot that.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 30 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,599
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.