Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I think that you might want to research the history of bullet development concerning the use of insert tips of different materials from the jacket a bit more carefully. The C.I.L. bullets, were in almost all respects, "knockoffs" of Remington designs and the "Sabertip" was only a type of the Remington "Bronzepoint", which they also copied with the earlier "Copper Point Expanding".

C.I.L. made "good" ammo and we usually bought it as it was all we could obtain in smalltown BC some 50ish years ago. However, they were not particularly innovative, IMHO and their real contribution was in loading so many older and obscure cartridges that other companies had let lapse into obsolescence.

As it happens, I disliked the "Sabertips" as even in moderate rounds such as our ubiquitous "303", they were too explosive in action and tended to "bloodshot" too much meat. Once, I could obtain Nosler Partitions for my far too many rifles, I stopped using "Dominion" ammo and was happy to use the vastly superior Nosler and now Swift bullets.

I think that there may be a little "nostalgia" here, what next, a '51 Austin "Devon" with the odour of the leather seats, perky little engine and @#$%!@@#%^ English electrical system that never worked well?!1 wink

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I think that there may be a little "nostalgia" here, what next, a '51 Austin "Devon" with the odour of the leather seats, perky little engine and @#$%!@@#%^ English electrical system that never worked well?!1 wink [/quote]

Ah Lucas, the "Prince of Darkness"! Rode a Brit motorcycle for a while and fought the electrical system many times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kutenay;
I hope other than being up at the unearthly hour you posted that this finds you and yours well.

You know I too always had assumed/thought that the Sabre Tip was a copy of the Bronze Point, but then what do I know?

While I shot at least one Okanagan muley with a Sabre Tip - 150gr .30-30 - I was impressed with them about as much as the 150gr Bronze Point in an '06 I shot one with. frown

As soon as I began handloading I was much more happy with the results of Partitions and Hornady Interlocks too for that matter.

Oh, I had a '62 or '64 Triumph Spitfire for exactly one week back in the '70's and the electrical system was about the only thing I didn't work on in that memorable week.

From what I've been able to glean, that vintage of Triumph is not the "cream of the crop" for British sports cars.

All the best to you and yours today kutenay.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/09/13. Reason: spell czech

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It may have been that the Bronze Point was built differently than the Sabre tip, Heaven only knows as anybody that had almost anything to do with the designs are now gone to quieter ranges it seems.
The prince of darkness? Rode Brit bikes for years , the best thing that ever happened to them was the Boyer and other electronic ignition systems!!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Never seen the particularly yellow ones, but it would not surprise me in the least that the colour varied from opaque to yellow , depending on the batch!
I have sen several different shades in the 180's however, the only ones I have ever seen constant were the black 150's.
I have however seen the yellow capped round nosed jobs, as well as blue.:>)
I've got some older primers in the red, white and green box as well as some Dupont and C.I.L. powder.
Cat

I have about 1500 .308 cal. bullets I purchased about 20 years ago that were sold to me as C-I-L product. They are all round nose bullets and I assume they were for the 30-30.

The 150 grs have a blue tip (500), the 170s(500) a yellow tip. They all have crimps near the base.

I haven't hunted with them as I intended but have shot some of the 170s and they were accurate. Head shot a cottontail rabbit at 120 yards with one.

Also have 500 lead tips with the base crimps.

I heard that John Nosler purchased some of the plastic tipped bullets while hunting in Canada.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm surprised Steve Redgewell hasn't chimed in here. With his background I thought he might have had some knowledge of the history involved.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Never seen the particularly yellow ones, but it would not surprise me in the least that the colour varied from opaque to yellow , depending on the batch!
I have sen several different shades in the 180's however, the only ones I have ever seen constant were the black 150's.
I've got some older primers in the red, white and green box as well as some Dupont and C.I.L. powder.
Cat

I have about 1500 .308 cal. bullets I purchased about 20 years ago that were sold to me as C-I-L product. They are all round nose bullets and I assume they were for the 30-30.

The 150 grs have a blue tip (500), the 170s(500) a yellow tip. They all have crimps near the base.

I haven't hunted with them as I intended but have shot some of the 170s and they were accurate. Head shot a cottontail rabbit at 120 yards with one.

Also have 500 lead tips with the base crimps.

I heard that John Nosler purchased some of the plastic tipped bullets while hunting in Canada.

Yes, I do recall some of the old .30-30 KKSP ammo having coloured tips. I must have an old catalogue laying around somewhere. I'll search for it - I'll post it if I find it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Cat

Hi Cat you old gopher shooter, I have some of those old 180 grain CIL Sabretip's, they shot a 2 inch group out of my RFI 7.62x51 at 110 yards with the iron sights and my old eyes. The bullet tips are yellow, I pulled them from some old ammo I got at an estate sale. I didn't expect the accuracy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 2UP, 264mag, 338rcm, 24 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.