Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey there!

I am looking to have my 1899A in 303 savage restored. I have a e-mail in to PacNor for a new barrel. But the whole rifle needs to be refinished and new stocks fitted. Please let me know if any of you have had any luck with restorations. Details would be greatly apreciated (companies, prices, ETC..)Pictures too.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, there's a kettle of fish that will surely ("Don't call me Shirley!") stir up some debate during these summer doldrums.

I'll with hold comments until I see pics of said gun, and have a better understanding of why it should be done. A hundred year old artifact may benefit more from a 'conservation' than a 'restoration'.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seen lots of restored guns, some well done, some very poorly.

Seen almost NO restored guns which were a good idea monetarily. Those who wish to restore an heirloom or just as a project to save an old rifle are cool. Those looking to increase the value of a rifle are throwing money away - the money would be better spent getting a second rifle in better shape. Or several other rifles.

And I'll ask a personal favor... don't let the lever be blued. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
When I asked my Grandfather for this rifle it was missing the forend and the rear stock is not original. There are plenty of pictures here - http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5534240/1

The lever was hammered out by someone to make it curved like later models. The buttplate was missing. I have now collected a strait lever and buttplate that are correct. The barrel is shot/ rusted out, some story of spending a winter at the bottom of a pond after a great ancestor missed a dear. I will be restoring this to be passed on to my son and to stay in the family as a functioning rifle. but I would also like to hear everyones ideas/input.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is it chambered in 303 Savage? Probably can't do anything to save the barrel short of replacing it or reboring it to a wildcat - something like a 35-303. For replacement, if it should be a standard 26" 303 Savage barrel you might be able to find one on gunbroker over the next year or two if you keep your eyes open.

With the family history, don't blame you for bringing it back. See if you can find somebody who will do the polishing on the receiver to get a mirror blue.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

The wino and I know the joy of the ocean like a boy knows the joy of his milkshake in motion...JB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
DiamondJim and Lightfoot both have factory barrels for sale (no 303 though)

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's one I re-did, 38-55 model A, but like Calhoun said, there's no return in it, just do it for love.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.bosesguns.com/firearmrestoration.html

I have used these people several times.

Outstanding work, reasonable prices.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a 303 barrel, PM me for details.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I've never dealt with Boses I have seen several examples of their work and would recommend them if that's the way that you want to go. As others have said, its money poured down the drain as far as an investment but for personal satisfaction I'd go there.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Boses looks like it might be the place to go. Thank you guys for all of the help. Did anyone see the Sept 2011 issue of Rifle? It showed a 1899H take-down in .22Hi-Power that was restored. Anyone else with info or pictures please post!!

Last edited by nosnibor99; 07/19/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As for your questions, the barrel I have is 21" to receiver, 22" OAL, has been set back about 1/2" and rechambered to 303 from something else or simply set back and rechambered. Bore is good. It is stamped 303 but not by Savage and the original caliber (may have been 303 also) is not visible. Has a fore end stud and no sights (as I'd rob them before sending). grin Looks like an old reblue in good shape, most lettering visible. The barrel would be free if you'd like to pay to get it unscrewed and sent to you if it will help you.
Also have straight lever if you need one.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/19/13.

LOL
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Fireball2, but I think I am either going to wait to find a 26" that's in good shape or re-barrel it with a brand new one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll look in the stash. Might be able to help ya. For a nominal fee of course. grin What does the barrel have to say to make it match what you've got?

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
"SAV 303" on the top of the barrel just in front of the receiver

"SAVAGE HI-PRESSURE STEEL
--------MODEL 1899--------" on the left side of the barrel just to the side of the rear sight

"MANUFACTURED BY SAVAGE ARM COMPANY UTICA, N.Y. U.S.A.
.PAT-FEB.7.1893.JULY.25.1893OCT.3.1899.MAY25.1909.JUNE.1.1909" in front of the rear sight

Let me know what you've got

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take a look. Got a few .303 barrels but if you want it right the barrel markings have to be correct to the date of the serial number. Another thing to keep in mind is that even if a proper barrel is found they're pretty much all used barrels and most likely won't fit properly with a slight bit of modification and then the forearm may have to be re-fitted to the rifle. If you go forward with this you'll have a nice looking rifle but it will always be "not quite right."

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the heads up Skidrow. The forearm won't be a problem because when I send the rifle in to be restored they will be fitting new stocks on since there are no original stocks for this rifle. Because they would be all used barrels is the reason that I am contemplating have a new one fitted to the rifle. I know that it would not be a savage barrel, but since any antiquity is already lost from years of neglect from my great-great uncles, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. What do you think?

Last edited by nosnibor99; 07/25/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'Ve Done a Few My Self, Got Wood Duplicated From Boses, Excellant Job.
Nothing Wrong with Restore as Long as You Keep to Orginal as Much as Possible.
As far as Value, None to be Had, Except in the Eyes of the beholder, or admirer.
Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1899sav; 07/25/13.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nosnibor99
Thanks for the heads up Skidrow. The forearm won't be a problem because when I send the rifle in to be restored they will be fitting new stocks on since there are no original stocks for this rifle. Because they would be all used barrels is the reason that I am contemplating have a new one fitted to the rifle. I know that it would not be a savage barrel, but since any antiquity is already lost from years of neglect from my great-great uncles, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. What do you think?

Since we're spending your money, I think we should go all out. grin

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44automag, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 16 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.