Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Col. Bud Day, an Air Force fighter pilot who was shot down in the Vietnam War, imprisoned with John McCain in the notorious �Hanoi Hilton� and defiantly endured more than five years of brutality without divulging sensitive information to his captors, earning him the Medal of Honor, died on Saturday in Shalimar, Fla. He was 88.
His death was announced by his wife, Doris.

Colonel Day was among America�s most highly decorated servicemen, having received nearly 70 medals and awards, more than 50 for combat exploits. In addition to the Medal of Honor, the nation�s highest award for valor, he was awarded the Air Force Cross, the highest combat award specifically for airmen.

In a post on Twitter on Sunday, Senator McCain called Colonel Day �my friend, my leader, my inspiration.�

Colonel Day�s life was defined by the defiance he showed in North Vietnamese prison camps, where besides Mr. McCain, the future senator and Republican presidential candidate, whose Navy fighter had been downed, his cellmates included James B. Stockdale, also a Navy pilot, who became Ross Perot�s running mate in his 1992 presidential campaign.

When he volunteered for duty in Vietnam and was assigned to a fighter wing in April 1967, Colonel Day, then a major, had flown more than 4,500 hours in fighters.

On Aug. 26, 1967, he was on a mission to knock out a surface-to-air missile site 20 miles inside North Vietnam when his F-100 was hit by antiaircraft fire. He suffered eye and back injuries and a broken arm when he ejected, and he was quickly captured.

Major Day was strung upside-down by his captors, but after his bonds were loosened, he escaped after five days in enemy hands. He made it across a river, using a bamboo-log float for support, and crossed into South Vietnam. He wandered barefoot and delirious for about two weeks in search of rescuers, surviving on a few berries and frogs. At one point, he neared a Marine outpost, but members of a Communist patrol spotted him first, shot him in the leg and hand, and captured him.

This time, Major Day could not escape. He was shuttled among various camps, including the prison that became known as the Hanoi Hilton, and was beaten, starved and threatened with execution. His captors demanded information on escape plans and methods of communication among the prisoners of war, as well as on America�s air war.

In February 1971, he joined with Admiral Stockdale, then a commander and the ranking American in the prison camp, and other prisoners in singing �The Star-Spangled Banner� while rifle muzzles were pointed at them by guards who had burst into a prisoners� forbidden religious service.

He was released on March 14, 1973, having supplied only false information to his interrogators. He was promoted to colonel during his captivity, and on March 4, 1976, President Gerald R. Ford presented him with the Medal of Honor at a ceremony in which Admiral Stockdale was also awarded the medal.

Colonel Day received the medal for his escape and evasion, brief though it was, and his refusal to yield to his tormentors.

�Colonel Day was totally debilitated and unable to perform even the simplest task for himself,� the citation read. �Despite his many injuries, he continued to offer maximum resistance. His personal bravery in the face of deadly enemy pressure was significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were still flying against the enemy.�

Mr. McCain recalled in his memoir, �Faith of My Fathers,� written with Mark Salter, that Colonel Day �was a tough man, a fierce resister, whose example was an inspiration to every man who served with him.�

Telling how Colonel Day, in wretched condition himself, comforted him when he was near death from beatings, Senator McCain wrote that Colonel Day �had an indomitable will to survive with his reputation intact, and he strengthened my will to live.�

George Everette Day, known as Bud, was born on Feb. 24, 1925, in Sioux City, Iowa. He quit high school to join the Marines in 1942 and served with an antiaircraft battery on Johnston Island in the Pacific during World War II.

He graduated from Morningside College in Sioux City, obtained a law degree from the University of South Dakota and then received an officer�s commission in the Iowa Army National Guard. After transferring to the Air Force Reserves, he was recalled to active duty in 1951 and received pilot training. He flew a fighter-bomber, tracking Soviet planes off the coast of Japan, during the Korean War and then remained in military service.

After coming home from Vietnam, Colonel Day underwent physical rehabilitation, regained his flight status and served as vice commander of a flight wing at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida. He retired from the military in 1977 after being passed over for brigadier general and then practiced law in Fort Walton Beach, Fla.

Colonel Day represented military retirees in a federal court case aimed at securing what they said were health benefits once promised by their recruiters. He campaigned for Mr. McCain when he challenged George W. Bush for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination. When President Bush sought re-election in 2004, Colonel Day worked with the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth organization in sharply attacking Mr. Bush�s Democratic opponent, Senator John Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran, over his antiwar activities after coming home. Colonel Day backed Mr. McCain�s presidential bid in 2008.

In addition to his wife, Colonel Day is survived by two sons, Steven and George Jr.; two daughters, Sandra Hearn and Sonja LaJeunesse; and 14 grandchildren.

Admiral Stockdale, his fellow prisoner of war, died in 2005.

Looking back on the torment he endured as a prisoner, Colonel Day expressed pride over the way he and his fellow prisoners of war had conducted themselves. �As awful as it sounds, no one could say we did not do well,� he told The Associated Press in 2008.

Being held prisoner �was a major issue in my life, and one that I am extremely proud of,� he said. �I was just living day to day.�

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One hell of a brave man. Had the pleasure of meeting him and other MOH recipients In Pensacola a few years back. One of my favorite movie lines ( my favorite from the same movie" "War is no place for women" but I digress) stems from The Bridges At Toko-Ri. After the death of a couple of Navy Fliers, the Admiral in Charge of the Task Group ends his soliloquy with the words "Where do we get such men" Without a doubt, Col Day was one of "those MEN".....RIP Colonel.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Posted today on Conservatives4Palin:
In 1967, Day, now a major, was put in command of a squadron of F-100s in Vietnam involved in a top-secret program. Nicknamed the Misty Super Facs, their mission was to fly over North Vietnam and Laos as �forward air controllers,� selecting military targets and calling in air strikes on them. On Aug. 26, ground fire hit Day�s plane, destroying its hydraulic controls and forcing it into a steep dive. When he ejected, he smashed against the fuselage and broke his arm in three places. North Vietnamese militiamen below, seeing his parachute open, were waiting for him when he landed.

They marched Day to a camouflaged underground shelter. When he refused to answer his captors� questions, they staged a mock execution, then hung him from a rafter by his feet for several hours. Certain that he was so badly hurt that he wouldn�t try to get away, they tied him up with loosely knotted rope. On his fifth day in the camp, while a pair of distracted teenage soldiers stood guard, he untied himself and escaped.

On his second night on the run, Day was sleeping in thick undergrowth when either a bomb or a rocket landed nearby. The concussion left him bleeding from his ears and sinuses and sent shrapnel into his leg. Even so, he continued to hobble south for the next several days, eating berries and frogs and successfully evading enemy patrols.

Sometime between the twelfth and fifteenth day after his escape�he had lost track of time�Day heard helicopters and stumbled toward the sound. It was U.S. choppers evacuating a Marine unit, but they left just as he got to the landing zone. The next morning, still heading south, he ran into a North Vietnamese Army patrol. As he limped toward the jungle, he was shot in the leg and hand and captured soon afterward. He was taken back to the camp from which he had escaped and subjected to more torture.

A few days later he was moved to the �Hanoi Hilton.� His untreated wounds were infected, and he was suffering from malnutrition and unable to perform even the simplest task for himself. The fingers on both hands were curled into fists as a result of his torture; he regained some motion by peeling them back, flattening them against the wall of his cell, and leaning into them with his full weight. For more than five years, Day resisted the North Vietnamese guards who tortured him.

On one occasion in 1971, when guards burst in with rifles as some of the American prisoners gathered for a forbidden religious service, Major Day stood up, looked down the muzzles of the guns, and began to sing �The Star-Spangled Banner.� The other men, including James Stockdale, the ranking U.S. officer in the prison, joined him.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the honor of knowing three POWs and meeting two more. One of the ones I met was Bud Day. Trust me, that was a man.

Slow salute, Bud. You honored me by simply being.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This mountain of a man deserves a salute not because of his rank, but because of his merit. God bless his family and bring them comfort...I am quite sure there is a giant void right now in their heart's.

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Rest In Peace Col. Day and thank you for your service.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VGv4dbtdzW8[/video]

Last edited by 12344mag; 07/28/13.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
RIP Colonel Day! How in the hell does a Medal of Honor receipiant get passed over for Brigadier General!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
May he rest in Valhalla.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've read his biography. He was the real deal.
May he RIP.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Godspeed Col. Day, and Thank you. There's no telling how many American lives you saved. Stand down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank all of you for your kind words for Col. Day. As a native Sioux Citian, I am proud of our local hero. May he rest in peace.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to learn of the death of such a man, even at 88.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GSP814
RIP Colonel Day! How in the hell does a Medal of Honor receipiant get passed over for Brigadier General!

His medical situation and the fact he was out of circulation for so long probably had a lot to do with it. That and the fact he was very outspoken about the AF turning more into a corporate entity than a warrior cult. There's been quite a few like that.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last flight. RIP.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.