Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'll be in the south range of the unit, anybody know if cell phone serive is any good? The guy packing us in told me i could find some areas up high but i'm not so sure. I have AT&T. Thanks

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Who, why would anyone care? It is elk hunting after all!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The guys I hunt with can get service up high with Verizon and AT&T n Unit 82. Try as I might they use the darn things when I'm not around. My view is to leave them in the truck at the trailhead!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
buzz off punk...i'm just wanting to know if we stick one if i can call out for our guy to come get it....simple question...

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
some people's kids.....
still need a babysitter?

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Nope, just a simple answer to a simple question, not sure why you bothered replying....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check your service providers coverage map.

I have Sprint and shoe horses in a few remote areas, worst it gets?
Garbled service on roam. But you can get a message out.

A text message could include all the information you need to convey to arrange packing. Including GPS positions of kill-sights.

I have offten thought about hunting 82 , what is it like?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may have service but he may not depending on location or vice a verse.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by brayirish
buzz off punk...i'm just wanting to know if we stick one if i can call out for our guy to come get it....simple question...

Like I said...you should have no problem if you are up high. In the canyons there will be some issues.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Check your service providers coverage map.

I have Sprint and shoe horses in a few remote areas, worst it gets?
Garbled service on roam. But you can get a message out.

A text message could include all the information you need to convey to arrange packing. Including GPS positions of kill-sights.

I have offten thought about hunting 82 , what is it like?

Great area as far as I am concerned. I like to hunt it in September during archery or muzzle loader season for elk and will be in there this September chasing bulls. I have also hunted the area for high country buck and sheep as well.

The area I hunt is steep and not easy to access, so I don�t see a lot of other hunters. A few of the trails have so much downfall that I can�t get the horses into exactly where I want to go, so I usually set base camp and do a little more hiking.

Beautiful area and a few bear around as well.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Almost any area I have hunted in CO , I have had cell service, but not in every location. I have hunted in 86, right beside 82 and getting high does not necessarily mean you will get service. It depends more on tower location and if the tower itself is hidden from line of sight. I would not guarantee any exact location to have service, merely because you are higher.

In Unit 201, the closets tower was 60 miles away and I still got service.

In Unit 12, 30 miles from Craig and yet I have to be within about ten feet of certain location to get service.

In 36, If I'm up on the Gore range, no service, but if I drive down the canyon so I can see the Vail Ski Area, I get service.

Ditto in 54,north of Gunnison.

Just because so and so said they got service in 82, doesn't mean everyone at every location will get it, high or not

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Text message is a good way to go if coverage is spotty.
A voice stream may get dropped but your network will keep trying to route a text message and can often reassemble the msg fragments on the far end if interrupted.
Less noisy too.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My experience in both 82 and 86....as well as most other units is that the higher I get the better the chance I have of getting coverage. Of course I can't get it every place or every time......heck I can't always get it at my houses.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I hunted Antelope in 82/86 last year and have an AT&T phone as well. I had good coverage in every direction from Villa Grove up until the scrub oak hit the timber. didn't hunt past that that elevation but still a good signal up to there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1badf350, 25aught6, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,490
Posts18,529,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.