Print Thread
Hop To
N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I will be in San Diego. I have Oct 21 22 to goof around was thinken of quail hunting. Been looking for guides not finding much.. I will have a rent a car so can travel.. Was looking at Imperial county area ???

Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks...

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Not a ton of quail but you could probably find some around El Centro or Blythe. Not too familiar with quail in San Diego County. Definitely some a few hours to the east in AZ along the Colorado or Gila River. When I think of good quail hunting, I think SE AZ.

Good Luck,

Nick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago I hunted quail out in desert on the way the Blythe and it was good hunting but you really need a 4WD vehicle.

There were only a couple of places that consistently held good enough numbers that you could get out of the truck and just start hunting. Other than those spots to find coveys you had to cover a lot of ground driving the washes.

Back in the 80's there were no guides that hunted there and a dog wasn't necessary to find birds. Find a covey, jump 'em, and then go in search of singles. They flush easy enough once you walk up on them and they wouldn't hold tight to cover.

I had some great times there until one year when there was huge die-off. After that you there was nary a quail to be found and we stopped going.

N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
So your saying maybe i should go fishing instead.. LOL...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fishing out of San Diego is not a bad option. Keep digging though. Maybe somebody else will chime in with info on hunting that's closer to SD. I'm just not aware of anything that's closer than the desert regions far to the east.

The die-offs run in cycles. It was back in the late 80's that I was referring to so I'm sure things have changed since then.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in San Diego for a number of years.

Jump on a charter boat and go fishing!!!

Once you hook up to a yellowtail you will never be the same.

Do not go on a rock cod charter.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We are in the middle (I hope) of a major drought in Southern CA, and I believe that includes San Diego and Imperial counties. When there is no spring rain at the appropriate time, California quail don't reproduce that year. In several years like that, there will be a "die off."

One good source of California hunting info is the "Hunting and Fishing" forum on the website www.calguns.net I'd ask your question there and also do a thread search for "quail" and "San Diego" and "Imperial." But I think you'll find quail very scarce in that area, except in the (not huntable) suburbs where they have artificial water sources.

Saltwater sport fishing in that area IS excellent. The only thing wrong with rockfish charters is that the fish are caught on the bottom and you basically just crank them up onto the boat. But you do get a SACK of delicious fish out of the deal and almost never come home without a feed.

BUT (the BIG butt), yellowtail (like amberjack back East) are both champion fighters and about the best fish to eat, bar none. I just had some filets.

Last edited by Mesa; 08/02/13.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well thanks for the info guys, Does anyone have a charter or a buddy thats a captain.. I did see a topic in saltwater fishing forum but didnt have a lot of replys...

Thanks agian...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,840
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.