Print Thread
Hop To
S
Savuti Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thinking about getting a lightweight 6 shot 38, and am wondering how the two compare in size. S&W K frame (M12) vs Colt D frame (Cobra).

Anybody have experience with both or, better yet, pictures. I have several K frames to ogle, but It's been a while since I've seen a Cobra or Det Spec.

Thanks
Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Irrespective of the actual dimensions, the K-Frame just feels larger to me. The grip is longer which - all things being equal - makes it a tad easier to control. Choices in aftermarket grips is a tad more limited with the Colt platform the odds slightly favor the S&W in shooting to POA.

Back in the day, my agency issued 2" Model 10's to plainclothes personnel. A Governor's 20 shooter in my department could easily shoot clean scores on a 50 yard COF with that gun - something not likely to happen with a Colt D-frame revolver. YMMV.

Addendum: It wasn't real popular, but a handful of gunsmiths would reduce the K-Frame grip to make it more concealable since a 2" K-Frame isn't any easier to conceal than a three or four inch gun of the same model.

Last edited by 41magfan; 08/01/13.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a D-frame alloy Agent that I sorely miss. It is the "goldilocks" revolver for my hand size (avg). J-frame feels like a cap pistol and a K feels a LOT bigger to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The "D" frame is a tad smaller with a different grip angle than the "K", I prefer it but you dasen't break one anymore, parts are scarce as hens teeth.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can show you a picture comparison between D & J, but no K's, and no snubbies:

[Linked Image]

They will all fit the pictured Bianchi holster.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Savuti
Thinking about getting a lightweight 6 shot 38, and am wondering how the two compare in size. S&W K frame (M12) vs Colt D frame (Cobra).

Anybody have experience with both or, better yet, pictures. I have several K frames to ogle, but It's been a while since I've seen a Cobra or Det Spec.

Thanks
Pete
For me, the K-Frame simply can't be beat in terms of ideal proportions, putting the perfect distance and angle between my palm and the trigger face for a comfortable and natural double action trigger squeeze. The D-Frame compromises this ideal set up for the sake of compactness, so some with medium to large hands will find that it's less than ideal for a very natural double action trigger squeeze. Oddly, I find the J-Frame, even, to be superior to the D-Frame in this regard.

To make my D-Frames ideal for me in double action mode, I'd need to get an after market grip that puts some material behind the back strap of the grip frame. Pachmayr makes them like that, but I'm not a fan of rubber grips on a concealed carry gun. Herrett makes their Jordan Trooper wood stocks for this purpose. At some point soon I believe I will order one of those for one of my Detective Specials.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (160user, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,883
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.