-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Have a chance to get one of these in .44 mag.... as I understand, it is supposed to shoot .44 spec also. Love the aspect of the missing safety schmuck on the handgrip area. The older USA models are without that cute little IMPORT "RULE FOR SAFETY" imposed on owners by our wonderful watchdogs.
Having checked several sources I kept coming up with NEW models with the safety "thing" for around a grand.$$$ The one I am looking at now is like new, and really beautiful wood (US models have that) for $850.... Collectors question..... is this a good buy? Sure seem to be for me, especially given that they do seem to be hard to find (That aren't hammered units!)
Most of my shooting and critters are well within 100, so the caliber should be OK within that distance. Other question is .44 special in that model???? Is that right, will it shoot both.????

History is my teacher: VietNam was my lesson.!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are well made guns - the price is good in my opinion. It should shoot the .44 Special as well as the .44 MAG - sometimes you can have an issue with the slightly shorter case feeding in leverguns, but not often in a M92 - try roundnose-flat point bullets.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the advice...makes sense.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
'92's can be quite COAL sensitive.

Steve Young is THE '92 smith if you have a problem.

http://stevesgunz.com/

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The only issue they have is if a shooter doesn't care for the issue open/iron sights: The front is either hard-soldered or welded to the bbl, and the receiver's not prepped (Drilled/tapped) for either a receiver or tang peep sight.

Sooooo, just be aware that some work'll be needed, if a sight change's indicated.

FWIW, the fit/finish of the Winchester & Browning Miroku 92's are head & shoulder's above anything that came out of New Haven (except the Custom Shop).

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well... Got it.! This thing is one of those "formerly owned" and not "used" if you know what I mean... One little dot of a scratch (about the size of a pencil lead) and the rest is immaculate. No safety of any kind anywhere!!!!!! YES! The furniture is super, and definitely walnut with lots of Burling. This will be a safe queen and once a year blind buddy when deer get here..! I do see this was made in Japan..???? yet this is definitely made a long time back..???? It is from Browning in Morgan, Utah and Montreal..yet made in Japan. Never had one with this label from that far back. Hmm... any ideas out there..
Funny thing about used rifles.. maybe just me, but I swear there are some that you can actually "feel" the other guy's gripp and where he handled it...Odd.??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Browning hasn't made their own firearms in over 130 years - the basic idea/patent for the Model 1892/92 was John Browning's, and first assigned to Winchester (marked as Winchesters), but in the 1970's assigned to the Miroku Gun Co (Japan), of which Winchester was a majority shareholder at the time.
Those Miroku Model 92's were marked as Browning's B-92 - and is what you have one of.

The "Browning" B92's are about the best available, in terms of fit/finish, AND the absence of any added laywer safeties, as in the current production.

FWIW, currently, Miroku is still assigned Model 92 production, only NOW they're being marked as "Winchester".

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Congratulations! You got a great rifle. I have a .44 & .357....sold a couple Marlin 1894s after shooting these. They are the smoothest and best shooting pistol caliber rifles out there IMHO ;-)

Mine are not near as nice as yours but they are only for sale if I find one as nice as yours to replace one with. Enjoy!

Bob

Last edited by vonfatman; 08/03/13.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, I too sold my Marlins after acquiring the Browning 92s!!

Ken
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love mine in the 44, and I would agree that they are far and away better than most out there. I've had a couple of opportunities at one in a 357, and I sure have kicked myself for not taking advantage of it.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 18 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,089
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.