Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7951576 08/03/13
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need some input on the King Quads. Specifically the 500s and the 750s. I went and looked at them today and was really surprised. I liked them. Good ground clearance, price, rack capacity, and 0% financing. Gimme the good and the bad if you have any of either. I'm not sold on the power steering yet, but the 500 w/ EPS is basically the same price as the 750 without EPS. I'll be using it for light farm work and hunting in the mountains in NM.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i really haven't heard anything but good, and have looked at them myself, I would avoid the EPS, in my opinion just more to break

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's kind of how I felt about the EPS.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd get the EPS in a heart beat, and IMO, Suzuki is only bested by Honda in quality, fit and finish, but you get a lot more bang for your buck with Suzuki. I had a 2007 King Quad 700, but sold it when we bought a side-by-side. I now have a Suzuki Eiger 400 (Dad has one also). Excellent machines!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't worry about the eps. If the japs built it it will work right.
Avoid polaris.

Here, hold my beer and watch this!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
FWIW, I have a 2005 Eiger and love it. It's a hard worker and fun to ride. I haven't dragged a deer in 7 years!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about the bigger ones, only have experience with the 400 Eigers. Have a 2006 which rolled out of our boat -into the ocean- when it broke free from its mooring and swamped. I found the Eiger floating upside down a short distance away. I've had to replace many of the electrical components which aren't directly part of the engine itself due to saltwater corrosion. Other than that, it still runs and has a pile of miles on it. A second 400, a 2009, has only 12,000 miles and is in need of a second engine rebuild. That machine has not been hardy enough to withstand the abuse of two different boyfriends of our daughter. The first rebuild was gratis under Suzuki warranty at less than 1300 miles.

I have first-hand experience with Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha machines. All of them make good machines. I can't speak for the EPS on the Suzuki, but am very impressed with how well it works on our newest machine, a Yamaha 450. We have put less that 10,000 miles on it in nearly two years we have had it and the EPS is a great thing. At worst, you're stuck with a manual steering system if the EPS fails. But ours has worked in every month and weather we have during the year - that includes 20 and 30 below zero temps (F).

I would not own Polaris or Arctic Cat machines as ATVs are concerned (but have put some significant miles, well beyond 50,000, on Polaris snow machines, somewhat fewer on AC.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 2001 Quadrunner 500 4x4. It was a fantastic piece of equipment. I used it for work, not play. It went places and did things I probably should have walked. I only got rid of it because I wanted to upgrade to IFS as I run a survey grade GPS mount and wanted a smoother ride for my electronics.
I looked for Suzukis and Arctic Cats (with Suzuki engines) and bought an AC 500 4x4 IFS. It has been as good if not better than the Quadrunner with the bonus of a way smoother ride.
I wouldn't be afraid of the newer King Quads at all.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate all the info guys. Me and the wife had been taking about getting one in the next year or two and just decided to go look at them today. With Suzuki running a 0% financing deal, the wife was all about getting one soon...who am I to say no? laugh

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've been a Honda man forever. Not anymore. I switched to a King Quad 750 with the EPS last September and I wish I had switched years ago. The only thing you will need to do is upgrade the tires. Most everyone I know upgrades to the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0. You will absolutely want the power steering. Suzuki's quality is right there with Yamaha and Honda.

Last edited by chap; 08/03/13.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

EPS is good stuff. I didn't even realize how simple it was to rumble across a couple of these patches until we had already gotten across.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only guys not wanting power steering are the guys that have never had it. Those that have it would never again purchase an atv without wink

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I buy and sell ATVs in my spare Time, I have owned them all, I Think Suzuki,s are one of the best ATVs made, parts are cheap and Drive Trains are just about bullet proof. The 750 King Quad is my favorite of them all, Lots of power, ride is great. Do get the power Steering, and save your Arms.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 2008, like it, came with EFI and IRS, both which I wanted. It does not fit well in the back of a standard short box (6.5') pickup.

longer wheelbase may make it little less squirrely at higher speeds.

Expect to lose thousands of dollars in value in first few years.

ie if you are handy with tools, and have some time, buy a used one.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, so the next question...750 or 500? I think I've read/heard enough that the EPS is worth the extra money. The 750 and 500 are physically the same size, but is the 500 big enough for that body?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my first ATV with EPS two months ago and I will never go back!!! Get it, and you won't regret it. If you don't get it, don't ride one later that has it as you will certainly be pissed for passing on it.

All of my ATV's have been 500-550's and have motored up some steep stuff. I've considered going 750 but have passed it up as more of a machismo thing. If you want it, get it, but I certainly doubt you'll need it.

I'd go 500 EPS all the way!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've never driven one over a 450, and I used to do some pretty decent work with a Honda Recon. I've know what a 250, 300, 350, and 400 will do. I'm wondering if I'd wish I had the extra ass of the 750 when I'm up above 7500 feet(hopefully with the racks full of elk meat).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had my 550 up to 13200 last weekend and it was no issue at all.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i'd get the 750 every time. it's like buying a truck with a V8 instead of a 6 cylinder.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The extra power is always something that you could do with-out! But how many of us here would look for a car or truck with the smallest motor. I could easily live with a 350 or so size machine, & I do a lot of heavy pulling & work with mine, BUT there's times I just like to squeeze the throttle a little more & not have the machine complain about it wink smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (29aholic, 308xray, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 2500HD, 300_savage, 27 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,186
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.