Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am wondering how Americans coming into Canada study up on some of our crazy laws so they don't end up fined for doing something illegal?? A lot of laws you could come afoul of are not even hunting related...and claiming ignorance of the law is NO excuse in Canada. For example, ride your atv in the ditch alongside the highway in some jurisdictions and you could be heavily fined....

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That is a good question, a hard question, but good.
It does seem that people that behave well one place tend to behave most all places. Your point about different laws is well taken.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
When in doubt, ask someone who knows -- MNR, PD, etc. wink Most of the Outfitters in our area are knowledgable in the Liquor Laws as well as game and fish laws and ATV type stuff.

For Ontario laws, I would be glad to try to answer your questions. Spent 30.5 years in enforcement and now nearly 12 years in prosecutions. I know 'some' of the more frequently abused laws, anyway.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When in doubt, ask someone who knows -- MNR, PD, etc.

The only problem with that, especially with our gun laws is even a large number of police officers & MNR don't know the laws themselves! There's a number of cases where officers have demanded a standard long gun be cased & trigger locked when simply being transported! We know it's not required as long as you don't leave your vehicle unattended but try to explain that to a rooky officer fresh from metro-ville wink

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Never had a problem with that, but I live in the sticks where most places you can safely discharge a firearm, so. . . . . .

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well since all of hunt us hunting there need to have a guide, some of us ask a lot of dumb questions just to make sure. Then again some don't, you can't help stupid. Thank you for sharing it with me though, I have met some wonderful people while in Canada.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did you know that if you build a campfire in BC it cannot exceed 18" x 18" ????? AND, if you do and get caught everyone around the fire gets fined several hundred dollars!!!!

Just try to keep your fire 18x18....good luck. At least now you know if your in BC and the fire flared up a bit, run like hell if the CO comes around. ;-)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"is not an excuse. And I'm quoting a New York city judge on this one". Ron White

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know in our case, when we go up north we just behave impeccably( seriously) and kind of do all the things ( like seat belt wearing and speed limits and no guns...) that the liberals in the states would like to see us doing...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
Did you know that if you build a campfire in BC it cannot exceed 18" x 18" ????? AND, if you do and get caught everyone around the fire gets fined several hundred dollars!!!!

Just try to keep your fire 18x18....good luck. At least now you know if your in BC and the fire flared up a bit, run like hell if the CO comes around. ;-)

Whoever the DUMB [bleep] is that came up with this.... should be kicked in the nuts crazy
We had the Parks guys come around and leave us a little pamphlet on the proper size of fire..made great fire starter material grin

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I live here and didn't know that, I wish you hadn't told me then I could plead ignorance of the law, never had a fire that small. Probably never will.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some laws are like that. Hardly anyone pays any attention , but it's on the books.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Some laws are like that. Hardly anyone pays any attention , but it's on the books.

Not paying attention could get pretty expensive.

""Failure to comply with the new rules will result in a $345 fine. An additional $345 fine will be levied for campfires lit during a ban.""

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/24/bc-smaller-campfire-rules.html

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't believe we are in disagreement. Consider laws on speeding, and passing on yellow lines. Ever see that done?
Fines for those offences can be stiff as well. The consequences might include bodily harm, or death.

S
S
I don't believe a trigger lock is ever required for non-restricted firearms. Here we go again but I believe non-restricted just need to be unloaded. If unattended then in the trunk, if no trunk - vehicle locked and firearm out of sight. I have also had friends told different things by RCMP at highway stops. I carry the law enforcement guide to the transportation and storage rules in all of my vehicles.

Last edited by sixpackman; 08/12/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

""Failure to comply with the new rules will result in a $345 fine. An additional $345 fine will be levied for campfires lit during a ban.""

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/24/bc-smaller-campfire-rules.html

During hunting season in October and November every campfire I have ever been part of or witnessed has exceeded those dimensions, so if they want to bust people and fine them $345 they wouldn't have to go far to find plenty of culprits.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sixpackman
I don't believe a trigger lock is ever required for non-restricted firearms. Here we go again but I believe non-restricted just need to be unloaded. If unattended then in the trunk, if no trunk - vehicle locked and firearm out of sight. I have also had friends told different things by RCMP at highway stops. I carry the law enforcement guide to the transportation and storage rules in all of my vehicles.

I had a game warden questioning me about why my rifle was in the front of the truck [regular cab w/canopy], he wanted to know why it was up there. sick I told him it was up there because I had over $2000 invested in it, and I chose not to have it bouncing around in the back of the truck. What a bonehead question to ask.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n007

During hunting season in October and November every campfire I have ever been part of or witnessed has exceeded those dimensions, so if they want to bust people and fine them $345 they wouldn't have to go far to find plenty of culprits.

Thank you Liberal govt.....now we have a province full of law breakers. ;-)

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've been guiding fishermen for more than 40 years on Lake Nipigon.
We have special rules governing this Lake--calling the Ministry of Natural Resources for clarification on any of the regulations is a complete waste of time.

You are stuck with the Man in a $300 uniform and a sidearm who just put $400 worth of gas in a custom built aluminum boat with a 300hp Yamaha on it. If he has the time to fill out the paperwork and the inclination you are going to get a ticket. Live with it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Our fishing group has learned differences in the laws the hard way - a couple of guys were stopped at the border and had their backgrounds checked. Both were denied entry because they had misdemeanor crimes (OWI)on their record. OWI is a felony in Canada and felons are not admitted without jumping through a few hoops. One guy has spent considerable time and money trying to get paperwork cleared so he can come fishing with us again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.