Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Halftrack...
http://www.eberlestock.com/Halftrack%20Backpack.htm

F3F FAC Track
http://www.eberlestock.com/F3F%20FAC%20Track.htm

These are the two packs I have been looking at. I like the people at Eberlestock and I liked my first "Just One" pack

I will go with the tactical pack as I like the colors better and the material seems thicker than the material in the hunting packs

Any thoughts?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Any thoughts?

Yeah, they both suck. Worst of all worlds, zippers galore, cheap imported crap. No thank you.

Judging by the size of the packs you posted and the fact that you are asking for advice on a full Codura pack, my suggest would be to look really, really, hard at this one:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/88/Default.aspx

The pack is designed to be used with this compression panel:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/93/Default.aspx

Unlike Kifaru, these appear to be in stock, ready for delivery. They are also US made, unlike the eberlecrap. Spend some time poking around the HPG website.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Any thoughts?

Yeah, they both suck. Worst of all worlds, zippers galore, cheap imported crap. No thank you.

Judging by the size of the packs you posted and the fact that you are asking for advice on a full Codura pack, my suggest would be to look really, really, hard at this one:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/88/Default.aspx

The pack is designed to be used with this compression panel:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/93/Default.aspx

Unlike Kifaru, these appear to be in stock, ready for delivery. They are also US made, unlike the eberlecrap. Spend some time poking around the HPG website.

I've been lusting after that HPG ute and will probably pull the trigger soon. I think in a couple more years HPG will be on top of the game judging by what they have out already.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Depends on what you want to carry/pack. Looks like the Half Track is a half pound lighter and 10% greater volume. Personal preference... Do you prefer one big internal compartment and two external compartments on the back ? Or, a big internal compartment with an internal divider ? Looks like the two external compartments probably make up the majority of the weight difference.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just picked up the skycrane on ebay for about 1/2 the price...

It will get big or small...just add the super spike duffle which I also paid half price for. I spent $175 + $30

I've many Eberlestocks they all are pretty darn good and built well. With the Molle system and imagination there's much they can do.

Gotta throw some weight to the fact the military uses many and hard. I got turned on to them by guys who used em over the pond.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I get really PO'ed when my sleeping bag gets a unplanned washing in the middle of a trip when I need it not to look like this guy:

To prevent "Hatchet Jack mode" from occurring to you, it helps to have a no-BS method of waterproofing your puffy gear. Mine go into roll-top silnylon drybags and these go into a trash compactor bag, the top/end is twisted and tucked down the side of the pack, this is uber-rainproof. "Candy-cane" the top by twisting it and putting rubber bands on it and your pack will float like a cork if you are packrafting or crossing a swollen river.

The stuff in the backpouch is stuff I need during the day, it really doesn't matter if most of this stuff gets wet.

The ULA Catalyst pack, with its mesh backpouch and drybag style roll-top, is probably the number one pack used by long-trail hikers who do it for weeks/months on end. This is no accident.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very pleased with my X2 and J104. I would happily get another Eberlestock. Can't really recommend one over the other as it depends on what you intend to do and how you want to customize it to fit your needs. I'm taking my X2 for a 5-day backcountry elk hunt. I used the J104 last year but have continued to shrink my pack list to where it all fits in the X2.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OP.. I'd lean towards the halftrack of the 2 you posted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been happy with my "Just one" pack so far, no zipper failures or stiches blowing out. Got mine used, with 2 padded pouches, reversible panel and the super spike duffle. Not sure how balenced the pack will be with it maxed out on weight for a week long backpack hunt, we will see...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the one in the latest camo.....

I hear it negates 25 Lbs and makes you look soopah bahdassss in peekshurs.

Seriously, you don't need better gear than Eberlesuck, you just need bigger balls.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of the two posted, I would choose the Halftrack with the butt bucket option.

I have had the smaller Just -one since 2007. Seldom use it as I seldom wander more than a mile or so from the vehicle and can carry everything I need in my pockets/fanny pack. If I need to haul out a critter, I can drive fairly close and/or use a sled if it has snowed, or a game cart if it hasn't.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Check out outdoorsmans optic pack. It might work for you. I really like mine. Sorry cant help with the two you asked about.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.