Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Has anyone had these in their hands, checked out the quality balance, etc.?

Just from the website they seem to have a lot of promise, tamg safety, 2 lb. crisp trigger, not very heavy German made rifle.

How do they compare to the FN Winchesters?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm curious to hear any comments about the 101; I think one in 7x64 would be fun to play with.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
This link will give a peek, a great looking rifle, probably real handy.
http://www.sauer-101.com/

Maybe someone handled them at a gunshow

Last edited by StrayDog; 08/06/13.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have one in the safe right now, a .270 Winchester waiting to be evaluated for an article or two. Haven't shot it yet, and probably won't until it's closer to the deadline this fall, but so far am impressed: Nice and light, but very well-balanced, with a very fine trigger pull.

The biggest thing that's impressed me so far is it used the same scope bases as for commercial 98 Mausers. This made mounting a scope VERY easy, unlike the trials gone through with other Euro-rifles I've dealt with.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm looking forward to your evaluation. I was surprised how much I like the looks of it, I'm usually seeing ugly rifles from Europe such as a Styer Pro Hunter,but this one is appealing to me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog

How do they compare to the FN Winchesters?

I'm impressed, in that the Sauer 101 costs over 2x as much as an FN M70 - $2500 or so, depending upon model.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Real-world price is more like $1500 for the least expensive models.

Right here I'll admit a little bias in favor or European rifles, especially German rifles. I've own a bunch of 'em, and in general the overall quality is superior to American-made rifles, especially the barrels and the mechanics. Yeah, some American-made rifles will shoot exceptionally well, but you'll often find others of the same make that don't, sometimes due to basic mechanical defects.

There are exceptions, but they usually cost more than most other American rifles. For instance, all the Weatherby Mark V's I've shot in the past few years have been VERY accurate.

The reasons for this are pretty simple. First, American hunters come from all economic levels, so we have rifles for all economic levels, with the average American rifle pretty much designed and made to sell to the average. Most hunting in Europe is fairly costly, especially big game hunting, so hunters tend to come from higher income brackets. As a result most big game rifles are pricier, because the average hunter has more money.

Part of the reason is also cultural. Germans simply do not accept some of the manufacturing flaws Americans take in stride, and many other European countries have a similar attitude. Thus a lot of European rifles have high-quality barrels, triggers and other features only found on what we consider custom rifles. The average European rifle retailing for $2500 over there is as good or better than custom rifles costing twice as much over here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ranger, you may have just healed my new rifle fever! I have not seen any of these for sale, where did you get the price?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am a Sauer fan and have two sauer 202s,so I was really looking forward to the 101.

I saw one at a local gun shop and almost bought it,it was priced less than 1500 dollars.

It was nice and light,well balanced and had a dandy trigger,but the safety was a pain to operate for me.You have to depress a button on the safety to get it to move,and I could not do it without fiddling with it for several seconds.

Maybe it was just stiff on this particular rifle,or maybe I was in idiot mode but it was a stuggle for me to get the dern safety to work.

Since I can operate the safety with ease on every other rifle I've ever tried,this was a deal killer for me.

I am looking forward to the new Mauser 12,it is supposed to be a similar design with a 3 position Model 70 style safety,maybe I can manage to operate it. grin

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
The most accurate unmodified factory rifle I've ever owned is a Colt Sauer. And the quality and attention to detail is obvious. But it is on the heavy side for a sporter.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Am I correct in that Mauser M12 and Sauer 101 are VERY similar and differ only in some details of the action?

Mule Deer, is yours a Sauer or Mauser?

I am really tempted by the M12 in a 270.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have one of each on hand. There are some similarities to the actions.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have one of each on hand. There are some similarities to the actions.

Will you be doing write-ups on both? A head-to-head comparison would be a very interesting article.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, one of the articles will be reviews of both rifles.

John Steinbeck
S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The pressed on barrels are a deal breaker for me. Other than that I think they are great rifles.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/03/new-sauer-101-hunting-rifle-from-j-p-sauer-sohn/

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There are plenty of Rifles that you can change barrels with.Most rifles will never get their barrels shot out in a lifetime of use for the average shooter-hunter.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess is that you could end it back to the factory for a replacement barrel. Most likely it would only be in the same chambering, but I doubt it would cost anymore than an American rebarrel job with all the frills.

I'm going to be talking to one of the Sauer/Mauser reps personally here in Montana in 10 days or so, about many of the details on the rifle. Should be able to get the details of rebarreling then.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John there web site says it uses 700 mounts, is the one you have different from the production guns?

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm really curious about the Mauser as I personally like the looks a bit better than the Sauer. Mauser's website is somewhat disappointing, though, at least as far as technical data is concerned. Sauer's site talks about the bedding system, bolt lock-up, etc.; but Mauser's shows a video of a Scandinavian moose hunt. I'd rather have a bit more technical information (i.e., bedding system, floated barrel(?), etc.). I'm looking forward to John's review.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The press in barrel was really a bummer for me. What is the point? Are there any advantages to that system?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.