-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Rhino. Purchased it after having beat that poor Grizzly 450 to death and its still running strong.

That Transmission not being shaft drive will never be a concern to me again. I have dragged 400lb game, dead steer's and dead horses a mile over hilly gravel/grass/rutted roads and rarely use the low range.

If I were buying again, it would be another Rhino. There have been so many sold that parts will be available for the future as long as you can imagine! Yet I have never needed a single part on either the Grizzly or the Rhino. The Grizzly is a 2006 or 07? and the Rhino is pretty new.

Regardless of the brand there are two things you cannot live without IMO

A winch with a capacity of 3000lbs or more. I prefer the kevlar line. Next for me, a sprayed in Bedliner ( 150 bucks for lineX)

The bed takes a pounding on these things and that liner is brilliant to protect the investment.

If there is no independent locking axles ( not auto or Limited slip, REAL locking axles), compression braking and Low range ......RUN away

Without those three it's never gonna do the things you hope to do in the bush!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I have a Rhino. Purchased it after having beat that poor Grizzly 450 to death and its still running strong.

That Transmission not being shaft drive will never be a concern to me again. I have dragged 400lb game, dead steer's and dead horses a mile over hilly gravel/grass/rutted roads and rarely use the low range.

If I were buying again, it would be another Rhino. There have been so many sold that parts will be available for the future as long as you can imagine! Yet I have never needed a single part on either the Grizzly or the Rhino. The Grizzly is a 2006 or 07? and the Rhino is pretty new.

Regardless of the brand there are two things you cannot live without IMO

A winch with a capacity of 3000lbs or more. I prefer the kevlar line. Next for me, a sprayed in Bedliner ( 150 bucks for lineX)

The bed takes a pounding on these things and that liner is brilliant to protect the investment.

If there is no independent locking axles ( not auto or Limited slip, REAL locking axles), compression braking and Low range ......RUN away

Without those three it's never gonna do the things you hope to do in the bush!

JJ, check out the new Viking, its Yamaha's newer version of the Rhino and it is BADASS. You can sit 3 across in the Viking which I prefer to the bucket seats and it still has everything the Rhino had

I have beat the hell out of my 05 Kodiak 450 and it runs like a top

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I looked at the Viking but its to wide for the country we hunt. My 06 660 Rhino really surprised me with how comfortable it is to ride in compared to my 06 450 Koidak which I still have and love. Its a lot easier on this old body than the 450. Besides that, it hauls a Deer or a Pig out a lot easier. Can't go wrong with the Rhino. I got the 660 because it uses a lot less gas than he 700.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by coyote268
I looked at the Viking but its to wide for the country we hunt. My 06 660 Rhino really surprised me with how comfortable it is to ride in compared to my 06 450 Koidak which I still have and love. Its a lot easier on this old body than the 450. Besides that, it hauls a Deer or a Pig out a lot easier. Can't go wrong with the Rhino. I got the 660 because it uses a lot less gas than he 700.

I hear you there but I love the seating of the Viking vs the Rhino. With a wife and 2 young kids it is probably what I am going to end up with eventually

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All the small gates on my farm are 6 foot. So Between the posts they are about 6'6" plus or minus.

The Rhino fits them no problem, the slightly larger models do not. Off road the ability to maneuver through small places has been a welcome benefit as well. I have been in tight areas plenty of times that would not have worked with anything even a couple inches wider. Of course lots of places I would not fit and could not go even with the rhino.

Anything regarding size is a user specific need. No gates and desert habitat you can use anything you like. Heavy forest and twisty trails the smaller models are a better option.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by coyote268
I got the 660 because it uses a lot less gas than the 700.

That a surprises to me.
Having owned a couple 660 grizzs & now a 700 grizz, I found an improvement in low end torque & decent improvement in mileage.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The size is one thing that I love about the Rhino[and the reason I didn't buy one first as I THOUGHT they were too small]. I live in/on forrested mountains in the Blue Ridge and already had 4-wheeler trails-basically old skidder paths cleaned up. The move to a Rhino created very little work to get those trails Rhino wide as it is only 8" wider than my 4-Trax Honda. The others are another 8-12" in width.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cwh2
I heard that Toyota is talking about getting into the SXS market.

Their initial offering will come with a fully enclosed cab, windshield wipers, heater, AC, 4WD, 31 inch tires, and a 100+ HP liquid cooled engine. Top speed is expected to be nearly 100mph.

MSRP is expected to be right at $5000. They are calling it the "1989 Toyota Pickup".

Well, there's always that too. smile

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The size is one thing that I love about the Rhino

When Rhino's 1st came out a neighbour & I took one & rode it up thru my 4whr trail to my hunt camp. Once or twice we had a roll bar drag a tree as the machine followed the off camber ground.
Couple yrs later a camp member bought a Ranger, couldn't get 100' from the end of a skid trail before he found it too wide. He can only travel about 1/2 the total mileage on our hunt trails, I know a Rhino could do all of it.

Guess it depends on your useage & conditions, but after 10s of thousands on kms on Yamaha's the Rhino is the only machine I'd look at.....someday...sigh!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
FWIW-

Here's a pic of my RZR 800, at the trails end near Trinchera Peak, S. Colorado, this morning. The 3000' elevation gain takes about 40 minutes, over a rocky trail. View at the top is absolutely spectacular. Top of the peak is 13,280'.
The RZR's fuel injection system works flawlessly at the 12,600+ elevation at the end of the trail.
If ever in S. Colorado with your UTV, be sure to try the Trinchera Peak trail!!

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Love my Gator. Much better than the Mule I had before. I use it hard, putting maybe 50 miles a day on it in rough country doing ranch work. Have had it only 14 months but haven't had any problems. I did complain about a few small things on my 2012 model and it just so happens they were all changed in 2013.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Nobody has mentioned Polaris other than me.

Second tier machine?

I absolutely love my '05 Ranger 500 4x4. Never a problem, goes any and everywhere I need to, it's smooth, and very tough.

Not the best pic....sorry 'bout that.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just saw this Greg, but I'll recommend the Polaris ranger, have had two of them.

Great machines.

Bill

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
IMO Honda is # 1 for reliability and longevity ,not that the others aren't ok just not quite as tough

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 2005 Rhino 660 that cost me a lot of $ in repairs. I did most of em myself but that took my time up. I' in some far back corners and some rough country sometimes and am getting too old to walk miles and hours after dark. I Ended up walking because of that hunk of junk more than once because endless fuel pump, overheating, vapor lock, electrical, you name it. I'm in a new Polaris XP 900 now and I really am impressed w it so far. Powerful n quiet.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

[/quote]

I am starting to get some slippage from my 06 Rhino on downhills from engine braking. Is that from belt wear or clutch or both? I have hauled a lot of firewood up and down out of these steep mountains with it over the past 7 years.. [/quote]

Slippage could be from either or both. Wouldn't take much to replace those clutch springs and belt, they're relatively inexpensive and might be worth a shot. How long has it been since you replaced your belt?

Ok-the belt has been replaced. Still getting dis-engagement when the RPM's get real low ie: heavy braking thus reducing RPM's. As soon as you get back on the throttle/gas it's as smooth as a babies butt.
You say "springs" in clutch? Aren't there rollers as well that I should look at?

Last edited by Raeford; 09/19/13.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you need to tear into that clutch, you might have a worn/weak secondary spring, roller bushings could be shot, ramps worn out, maybe even put a clutch kit in it

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Fixing to tear it down completely. frown

Get it done before deer season and firewood cutting.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let us know what you find Raeford.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When getting complete belt disengagement it most likely the "one-way" bearing behind the primary clutch. It's a relatively easy fix. Might as well clean the whole system while your at it. That is one of the few things I have seem on Yams, that occasionally will need repair.

It is item number 4 on the diagram, pt # 4GH-16664-00-00
This is for 660 & 700 Yam Grizzly, but yours will be the same.
If your Rhino is a 450 part number is 5GH-16664-00-00

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport#/Yamaha/GRIZZLY_660_-_YFM66FAT_-_2005/CLUTCH/YFM66FAT_%282005_ALL_TERRAIN_VEHICLE%29/CLUTCH_%28YFM66FAT_-_2005%29

Last edited by senior; 09/20/13.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.