signs..only 'WSA'

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Honda dropped the ball on SxS machines a long time ago...Big Red...yea its a big as a CJ5...If they would have had the Pioneer 700 out 6-7 yrs ago I would have had one....the Pioneer will have an uphill climb to catch up to Yamaha...Can Am....Artic Cat...Polaris & Kawasaki SxS markets...Don't get me wrong..I love Honda products...they just fell asleep at the wheel with UTV machines..

Well, it is bigger than a Smart Car smile. The only thing I've found that the Ranger does better is it has a faster top speed. Have compared ride quality on the same roads, and I honestly can't tell the a difference between the two. Ranger 2 cylinder is smoother, but that's a small price to pay for the reliability of the Honda. Honda uses less fuel IME, and I like the simplicity of the manually selectable 4WD and differential locks. Can Am is much faster, rides better, not as utilitarian, but too many electronics to break in the boonies (Anti theft key, reduced power without seatbelts on etc.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Less than a 2" difference between the 2. More bed and towing capacity on the Honda plus it's shaft driven, no belt to worry about. 1 Year warranty on the Honda compared to a 6 month on the Yamaha.

So give it a 1" lift and slightly bigger tires, and you can have your cake and eat it smile

Those are the 2 things that are pretty much automatic for me when buying a new wheeler/sxs.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Greg, if you want, you're more then welcome to borrow my 07 Ranger for a stint if you like. We just added 14" wheels, and 25" tires, so it has a little more clearance then factory. It's not pretty, as we bought it second hand and it has seem some use, but it has been reliable and worked great for us.

Let me know, you know the number.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Here is the only[partial] pic I have of mine
[Linked Image]

grin

Bucket seats IMO make a world of difference. With the Mule it seemed that I always ended up in the middle of the bench.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Do a side by side comaparison of the new Honda Pioneer and the Yamaha Rhino. I was shocked to see that the Honda was actually cheaper than the Rhino.

I'm a Honda guy but was considering a Rhino when I get ready to buy a sxs but now I am having second thoughts.

Honda specs

Yamaha specs

I like that{Pioneer].
I have always had Honda's and Yamaha's at least anything that I keep for any amount of time.

I am starting to get some slippage from my 06 Rhino on downhills from engine braking. Is that from belt wear or clutch or both? I have hauled a lot of firewood up and down out of these steep mountains with it over the past 7 years..

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slippage could be from either or both. Wouldn't take much to replace those clutch springs and belt, they're relatively inexpensive and might be worth a shot. How long has it been since you replaced your belt?

Steelhead

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Uhhhmmmmmm, never.

Just completed my first service beyond oil changes last spring-replaced one of the rear CV joints.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol.......try changing your belt, it's probably overdue anyways.

Steelhead

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
So it sounds like there are 2 to 3 really good options out there...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GregW
So it sounds like there are 2 to 3 really good options out there...

Honda has great track record for the most part. They generally don't do something if it isn't going to be done right. They were just late to the SXS/UTV game.
Yamaha is pretty much the same as Honda but have had a proven SXS/UTV out there for years that it seems everyone else wants to emulate.
If I were buying today, price point between those two would most likely be the deciding factor as they look very similar in comparisons.
Just my .02 worth.

FJB & FJT
G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Nobody has mentioned Polaris other than me.

Second tier machine?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I Mentioned It.... Been Very Happy With Mine,.Although I Haven't Had It Long.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I own a Polaris Sportsman 550 and just sold a 570 Ranger.
I like the ride and power of Polaris, I don't like the constant maintenance headaches.

For Tx. I went with the little Mule 610 XC. Simple, durable, cheap and all I need to putt around a lease.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GregW
Nobody has mentioned Polaris other than me.

Second tier machine?

I'm on my 2nd Polaris- first was a '97 Sportsman, that I used for 15 years. Totally reliable- used it for hunting and for plowing snow.

Now I have a 2013 RZR 800 LE. What a kick this thing is!! We have taken it on some tough trails, with nary a hitch. Fuel mileage is great, and a few mods like a winch, brush guard, top, etc. make it even better. Power is all I would ever want.
If it's a 'second tier' machine, it means it is a cut above the Rhinos, Mules, etc.

Polaris continues to lead the field in development of the UTV concept, and IMO makes the best machines on the market.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by coyote268
I would take a hard look at the Rhino. A friend of mine has a newer Polaris and can't wait to get rid of it. There are different bells and whistles with all of them but reliability should be at the top of the list. I have a Rhino because I also have a 06 450 Yami Kodiak that has been bullet-proof and it is narrower than some as the country we hunt the trails are very narrow and steep. Mine is a 06 660 and the only thing I don't like about it are its noisy rear brakes which I am now in the process of correcting. One other thing to consider is make sure you get a good winch whichever machine you get.

A friend had a Rhino 660 and couldn't wait to get rid of it, due to constant problems. He bought an 800 Ranger and hasn't looked back.

It's pretty apparent that one machine might suit someones uses while another person can't wait to get rid of the same machine. It might just be that people look for different things in a utv/atv.

I'm happy with my Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. My brothers have Arctic Cat, Can Am and Yamaha atvs. They all agree that the Polaris has the best ride of all machines used.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was a Polaris guy for a long time but wanted something with a bit more room so ended up going with the Teryx 4. Has plenty of room and able to take me wherever I want to go. Ride is really good too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brian Weaver - Reese Outdoors Field Staff
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I heard that Toyota is talking about getting into the SXS market.

Their initial offering will come with a fully enclosed cab, windshield wipers, heater, AC, 4WD, 31 inch tires, and a 100+ HP liquid cooled engine. Top speed is expected to be nearly 100mph.

MSRP is expected to be right at $5000. They are calling it the "1989 Toyota Pickup".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
I heard that Toyota is talking about getting into the SXS market.

Their initial offering will come with a fully enclosed cab, windshield wipers, heater, AC, 4WD, 31 inch tires, and a 100+ HP liquid cooled engine. Top speed is expected to be nearly 100mph.

MSRP is expected to be right at $5000. They are calling it the "1989 Toyota Pickup".

LMAO! I love my 93 reg cab short box 4x4 Toyota

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have to agree...my '98 V6 'Taco is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned...bought it used 7 yrs ago with 112K on it..now has 203K...runs like a champ.......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (320090T, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 24 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,946
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.