Print Thread
Hop To
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a peep sight for model my model 94 but the hole is so large looking at the front sight it's two fine. If that makes sense

Thanks for any input the peep is from midway it was made for my model 94 mid 70's

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would respectfully submit that you hmight not been properly schooled in the use of a peep sight.

The size of the aperture shouldn't make any difference, except a marginal one in terminal accuracy & speed of use, if the sight's used as it was designed to be.

In actual use, a shooter should only look through the aperture (whether a large ghost ring or a small target arp) w/o actually looking at or seeing the sight.

The shooter's focus should be on the front sight, and it's placement "on target".

A human's eye will unconsiously center itself in any size aperture.

Any consious effort to either center the front sight in the aperture, or focus on the aperture, is counter-productive.

A smaller aperture is usually gives a shooter a tad more accuracy, but is also slower to use than a larger arpeture (even up to the "Ghost Ring" size), whose faster speed-of-use is a plus in rapidly-presented and/or close range hunting situations.

The size of the front sight bead should be predicated on the intended target/usage - larger beads are more useful in fast/close shooting; finer beads for longer range, more deliberate shooting & targets.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thank you for your response your right I have never used one before with the exception of my bow. Maybe l should do some more practice with It. My goal was to use this for a brush gun for Blacktails shots can go from feet to a 100 yards.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As Ranger said:
1-Look through the peep.
2-Pick up the front sight.
3-Put the front sight on the vital zone of your target.
4-Focus back on the front sight for your shot.

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ehunter,

You might also need a taller front sight to get zeroed, as the rear peep will usually set higher than the barrel mounted open sight that it replaced.

Virgil B.

IC B2

E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I was wondering that about that the last time I shot it we shooting high too. I will spend time playing with it next weekend. Thanks for the advice. I am getting a but older and the eyes are not what they were once. I don't want to scope it I have other Scopes hunting rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, a peep sight works better with my older eyes (60 here)

You just need to focus on the front, instead of bouncing back and forth as you do on a notch rear sight.

Also, have found that a fiber optic front sight seems to pick up quicker for me.

Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
ehunter,

You might also need a taller front sight to get zeroed, as the rear peep will usually set higher than the barrel mounted open sight that it replaced.

Virgil B.

Could be........ If the front sight of your Model 94 is mounted directly in a barrel dovetail, then the rifle should readily zero with an issue-height front sight blade; if the front sight's mounted in a ramp, then it's most likely too short for the eep sight's higher line-of-sight.

+1, on switching to a fibre-optic front sight (whether or not the front sight need to be replaced to achieve zero).

FWIW, FO sight blades are available in the same 1/16" (fine) or 3/32" (coarse) bead sizes that Ivory/Gold beads from Lyman/Marbles/etc are, in addition to various colors (red/green/yellow/orange) to accommodate different folk's color perception.

I hope the rear barrel open/iron sight on your rifle has been removed & replaced by a dovetail slot filler (bought or handmade), so you have a clean sight picture from the peep sight.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,720
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.